Making your electric bass sound like a double bass

If you own a jazz bass can try this:

Turn ur neck pups to max and turn off the bridge and tone knobs.

Play near to the neck area and use your thumb to pluck.

Line 6 Variax bass got a double bass knob rite?

Cheers,

Ben

last time i remember rottenramone said can stuff a piece of sponge underneath the strings

i THINK it is him lah sorry if i misquote u bro :mrgreen:

for a bowed sound, maybe u can check out the ehx BMS demo video by peter stroud is quite cool

but i think the TS has long disappeared :(

I think James Jamerson put some foam or sponge near the bridge and it was covered by the bridge cover? Dampens the sustain of the sound, making it sound more like a double bass.

Put a thin cloth across the strings, crossing up n down, at the most bottom which is the bridge. this will reduce strings vibrate duration and sound like db, without pedal(s)

Does anyone here have a picture and a step by step guide how to make james jamerson db sound, i still cant get it.. Pls help, thx...

okok,easiest way to making a electric bass sound like a double bass(contrabass) , Go buy a Bow used for double bass and play it onur electric bass. the french bow or german bow can be up to you. after buying the bow,don't forget the rosin to apply for frction,after applying,useit on ur electric bass,100% works,just the sound that coming out from the amp. :mrgreen:

due to flat bridge, the bowing can only be used on outer strings (ie string E or G for 4-stringer).

enough foam to dampen the string slightly, but not so much that it chokes it of sustain. upright basses never had much sustain anyway, and the insanely high action on them doesn't help either.

also, try flatwounds on a fretless, pluck with alot of finger pad at the base of the neck, roll of bridge pup/tone to taste. gets somewhat close.

for double bass pizzicato sound, my cheating technique is to run a elastic hair band on the fingerboard near to nut @ fret 1 or 2 (to mute sustain) and pluck the strings on the fingerboard using thumb.

there's no way to simulate double bass arco (ie bowing) unless you bow the 2 outer strings.

Latest posts

Back