Making your electric bass sound like a double bass

Hey pple,

Im quite a noob here. Been surfing around but not been posting.

Does anybody have any idea where you get such a sound? Can you get it using some effects pedal?

Palm mute, flatwounds, Precision bass with tone knob rolled down. That's what I think would get to an as-close-to-double-bass sound. But then again, I haven't heard what this combination can achieve! :oops:

Wah Varix bass.. No money lah.. haha

Ok looks like I have to learn this palm muting thing. Is there any video that shows you how to do this? Dun think I saw this kind of video in the sticky post. Many thanks for your help.

yeah ..

turning down your tone knob to a small value and plucking closer to your neck will help .. even better .. pluck over your fingerboard after your last fret ..

put your palm at your bridge and play with your thumb and pointy finger. Try to listen to alot of double bassist to get their habit of plucking before the a's of notes in a triplet to anticipate the 1.

ive not heard of an amp specifically for acoustic bass either..

double bass sound.. play with your thumb or side of the finger where theres more flesh. like bassics said, prob some of the 'sound' associated with a double bass actually comes from the style of playing too...

Sounding like a double bass

Was walking around at esplanade and saw this small performance going on, just a pianist a guitarist and a bassist and somehow he sounded really like a double bass. Most likely it is due to the sonud system and acoustics of the area. He was using a RBX series bass from yamaha if am not mistaken. pretty cool.

okok,easiest way to making a electric bass sound like a double bass(contrabass) , Go buy a Bow used for double bass and play it onur electric bass. the french bow or german bow can be up to you. after buying the bow,don't forget the rosin to apply for frction,after applying,useit on ur electric bass,100% works,just the sound that coming out from the amp. :mrgreen:

Back