Ibanez: GXR370

subversion

Ibanez_GXR370.jpg

Ibanez GXR370
List: $700

In 1988, Ibanez unleashed the Radius models to the guitar playing community, so in love was one virtuoso with the dual humbucking version that it subsequently became his signature model which survived till this day- chrome boy; sounds familiar? The rest of the Radius offerings became extinct when Ibanez decided to focus production on only one derivative of this model, the Sabre or S-series to many of us.

Construction/ Fit/ Finish
What got the Ibanez Radius devotees aroused back then was the uni-tapered body design which had the treble side maintaining a default depth, tapering towards the bass end. Ibanez called it the aerofoil design, it looked lopsided to the uninformed but once you strap the guitar on, it made perfect sense- the tapered side promotes a natural tilting towards the player’s body so you get a figure hugging experience this side of a spandex outfit.

Unfortunately, the GXR which attempted to relive this design experience has no aerofoil feature to excite enthusiasts. The basswood body simply has rounded edges, maintaining elbow & ribcage chamfers to provide playing relief. However, we can rejoice in the fact that the GXR body sports a solid construction & superior finish to merit your attention.

The neck my friends, isn’t a unique offering, it’s simply a GRG version & offers that in-between depth (neither thick nor thin) which is familiar to us who’ve tried the Gio offerings. Frets are the medium provision but the highlight of this guitar is its floating vibrato bridge- the Edge III.

In this department, there are clearly no demerits to offset the GXR’s aerodynamic outlook. We can only wish that the headstock finish would match the body to give a stealth exuberance but it’s all about costs when it bears the Gio tag. Also, the GXR’s rosewood fretboard looks pale & feels dry to the touch- too dry in fact.

Rating: 70%

Playability
The GXR is one of the more massive Gio model the manufacturer has to offer, but it doesn’t exceed the SZ territory in terms of weight, which is a good thing to say the least. The rounded body edges make this guitar a wonderful sitting down experience. The neck profile would be a little chunky for the Wizard worshippers but it remains shred-friendly at the upper fret register which is further accentuated by the body’s deep cutaway. In fact, the treble side cutaway nearly intrudes into the neck pickup mounting ring vicinity.

The audition model has a dreadful action; my 3mm (Jim Dunlop) Stubby pick passed through it (5th-22nd fret action) unobstructed & the guitar feels ridiculous pass the 15th fret. However, with kind permission from the dealer, I’ve managed to bring it down to a more acceptable level & raise the pickups’ height just enough to enjoy a good drive tone (thanks to Roland’s CUBE 30 in part). The proceedings thereafter became addictive, much to the dismay of other potential GXR investors who waited in line to try it out. If you are reading this, my apologies but I’m sure you enjoyed the impromptu clinic which took place…

Rating: 75%

Tone
Unplugged, the GXR sounds bland, implying a similarly uninteresting plug-in tone & my apprehension for it was compounded by the weak default electronics on board. The STD pickups sound decent clean but are no stellar performers once the guitar kicks into overdrive. The tone here is an uninspiring one, not fulfilling any genre specifics, to be polite. Like other in-house Ibanez pickups, these are midrange excessive & would do very little to appeal to the potential buyers. The harmonics response was healthy but in light of the overall voicing, the GXR is a shrill crooner.

Rating: 65%

Last say
The GXR is the most sensible floating vibrato bridge Gio model to invest in. The Edge III proved its worth in terms of picking hand placement comfort & more importantly, superior return to pitch. Witnesses to its performance would agree that its functional reputation lies with string credibility- many onlookers saw how this reviewer had to stretch the strings & re-tune the guitar many times before it’s properly set up; I thank you for your patience.

Tone wise, I would urge interested parties to invest in good replacement units- Dimarzio/ Seymour Duncan/ others- as the default pickups here are lackluster units; I can’t find courteous adjectives to praise them.

With that in mind, cost-wise, it’d be more sensible to invest in the Korean RG350/ 370 which are equipped with above average INF pickups for a more rewarding purchase. However, if you are turned on by the gorgeous curves of the GXR, it’d be difficult to say no to this guitar. Remember to moisturize the fretboard when you bring it home.

Overall rating: 68%

• Manageable weight
• Sturdy construction
• Edge III floating vibrato bridge

Dislikes:
• Failed to capture the Radius essence
• Dreadful STD pickups
• Poor default action
• Dry fretboard

Latest posts

Back