HowTo Muff Your Acoustic Kit(Low Cost/Retaining Feel/Touch/Sound-Avoid Complains

There's a more convenient method now. I just found small pillows at Ikea for 1.80 per piece. Its sky blue in colour. One pillow is about 1 large zip-lock bag size. So depending on how soft you want your kit to be, you may need up to 3 to stuff up a 10"....its less messy since singapore doesn't really sell tontine in sheets like in Australia...

Haha at the moment one corner of my room has a big pile of tontin- I took it out of a 13" tom so that I could use it, and I haven't found the time to figure out somewhere to keep it neatly......

dear mod ,is the feel and sound retained ?

And by any chancee a 15 year old noob dumbass be able to do this on his own ?

And lastly ,how many % of the sound is cut out (estimate)

Thanks

No hard feelings. Purely pointing out the main point of stuffing kit with tontine as it seemed to have strayed. Are you the nick's church drummer? I think I remember.

The point of discussion is to be able to practice on an acoustic kit and yet not piss off your neighbours. Nothing to do with sound quality. You said it yourself, nothing beats playing on an acoustic kit, so why spend the extra money on an e-kit that is secondary, "feel" wise?

And about practicing on pillows and practice pads....it is really for situations where playing on a drum kit is not possible. If its possible, the drum kit is where you should be doing most of your practice. Many students who spend 0 hours a week on an acoustic kit but spend hours on the pads and pillows have problems when they come to the drum set. It is purely an observation I have made. I have students who faced these problems only to solve it after finally purchasing just a snare drum and spending just minutes a day on it vs the hours they used to put in on pads & pillows. Other things like playing accent & ghost-note studies proved to be a huge problem too. This is also true on e-drums. The velocity layers now span across about 120 layers....but that is still very different from the dynamics you can get from a snare drum. You may think that you have referenced it well but most of the time its pretty surprising when you get on a snare after days on an e-kit.

Also, most beginners have minimal time to practice. So, if the practice is made as effortless as possible, the better! Imagine having to always put a significant amount of your focus on trying to reference your practice to an acoustic kit...that's a real waste of your brain juice. Every little bit of your focus should be maximized on dealing with the days practice, especially when you have limited time.

Bottom line is....if you want to be a all around drummer, then practice right. If you want to be an e-kit drummer, then by all means, buy an e-kit.

Finally, this is a real-life problem which MANY have faced.....and no matter how much we want to believe that e-kits might be a solution or try our best to convince ourselves that it is true...it is not. Real people are complaining and suffering the results of e-kit playing and real people are gaining good results from tontine stuffed acoustic kits....

wow dat explains the problem i face :/ i am a student and i practice either by air drumming or with pens and when i go on a real kit, i tend to miss the cymbals during fills =X too used to short distant table drumming wif pen perhaps? =X

dear mod ,is the feel and sound retained ?

And by any chancee a 15 year old noob dumbass be able to do this on his own ?

And lastly ,how many % of the sound is cut out (estimate)

Thanks

Ok Honestly...Initially it does muff out alot I would say 90%..........but lately I found it to be loud..........and I know the reasons why...My Stroke has gone Powerful lah even though on the Muffled Drums....Kekekekkekeke !

But the feeling is really good for me....cause it is muffled- I had to use lots of Wrists Works mah and I didnt realise the benefits till now.

O_O til today u are still using the tontin in drum? how loud does an unmuted cymbal sound when hit in the HBD flat btw?..

Why kill the drum ?

If drum manufacturers intend for the drum to be stuffed with all sorts of garbage just to kill the sound they would have done so at the factory ans save everyone the trouble.

Drum designers and manufacturers take great pains in promoting the sound and tone of their drums that it seems a sacrilege to muffle and kill it just to bring the noise level down. I can understand the need for a plastic O-ring or two, and some stuffing into the bass....but to kill off the tone completely..why play drums in the first place.

Has anyone ever thought of playing softly with touch and feel ? Must you bang the living shits out of the drums everytime? Everything can be played softly if one only knows how. It's all about touch and control - not muting. Yet playing soft is a most difficult discipline that's why most drummers can't be bothered to learn.

Start by practising all your rudiments softly around the set, but at speeds that you normally play at higher volume.

When you mastered it, you never need to muffle up those toms and snare again. I never use more than a little tape or O-ring on my drums yet I get great tone and control...even when playing quiet cocktail gigs. Check it out the drummers who can play soft and fast... Louis, Boon Gee, Tama....see if they need to kill their drums to do so.

.but to kill off the tone completely..why play drums in the first place.

Has anyone ever thought of playing softly with touch and feel ? Must you bang the living shits out of the drums everytime? Everything can be played softly if one only knows how. It's all about touch and control - not muting. Yet playing soft is a most difficult discipline that's why most drummers can't be bothered to learn.

Start by practising all your rudiments softly around the set, but at speeds that you normally play at higher volume.

When you mastered it, you never need to muffle up those toms and snare again. I never use more than a little tape or O-ring on my drums yet I get great tone and control...even when playing quiet cocktail gigs. Check it out the drummers who can play soft and fast... Louis, Boon Gee, Tama....see if they need to kill their drums to do so.

Lious, Boon Gee Tama are all Jazz Drummers but there are also Jazz Drummers that play loud & Fast eg Tony Williams, Buddy Rich some of the Jazz Legends here don’t they ?.

So, I will have to Agree and Disagree with your statement here too.

Playing soft with touch and feel and control is indeed difficult and it is true as what you quoted – Drummers must thus practice this as it is an important aspect of Drumming.

However, one can’t practice softly – if one is trying to Practice the Moeller can they? or Maximum Rebound kind of Stuffs….on a Kit..(especially when you are staying in Public Housing depending on the neighbours) thus Muffling is required (as there is no other choice – without sound-Proffing) o keep cost low yest being able to drum.

Also Playing Softly and Loudly eg using Entire Arms and Wrists – is totally 2 different Techniques altogether as compared to Soft and Fast – both of which is an important aspect needed in practicing…depending on the Genre one is Playing.

Lious, Boon Gee Tama are all Jazz Drummers but there are also Jazz Drummers that play loud & Fast eg Tony Williams, Buddy Rich some of the Jazz Legends here don’t they ?.
I am not for a moment saying that all these drummers cannot play loud and fast. What I am saying is that drummers must try to master playing softly if the situation demands it. It is far easier to play loud but much harder to do the same things softly and yet retain the feel.

However, one can’t practice softly – if one is trying to Practice the Moeller can they? or Maximum Rebound kind of Stuffs….on a Kit..
That's bullshit. You can practice all your chops and coordination, independence stuff softly on the set. To practise your full Moeller rebound, use a pad. When you are playing softly a full rebound is not necessary.

(especially when you are staying in Public Housing depending on the neighbours) thus Muffling is required (as there is no other choice – without sound-Proffing) o keep cost low yest being able to drum.
First of all, no amount of amateur sound proofing is going to help if you cannot control your own dynamics or if your neighbours ae over sensitive. But you also don't have to whack the hell out of the drums just to let everybody know you are practising.
Also Playing Softly and Loudly eg using Entire Arms and Wrists – is totally 2 different Techniques altogether as compared to Soft and Fast – both of which is an important aspect needed in practicing…depending on the Genre one is Playing.

If your basic technique is correct there is no totally different second method. If your strokes etc are properly executed you do not need to flail away with your arms like a construction worker ..the volume increment is minimal and then there is miking !!

i get your point too yoda. problem is i dont have a kit and im considering if i shoudl even get one, because i pretty much expect my neighbours to be non-noise tolerant. and to make tings worse, my main genre is rock and metal.. imagine playing metal to non-noise tolerant people.. they would scream the hell back at you.. metal is smth that i would say is very hard to keep it soft because of the fast moving actions.. ( i dont tink i would wanna explain this through Physics theories and such.. and Physics formulas.. YES i am STILL a student..) thats y til now all i have is a pad, and i step on the floor to practise..

and... drums are actually manufactured based on the western side's tinking ( smth i pretty much realised and put together..). their houses are so much bigger than our HBD flats, thus they seldom nid to kill their sound.. so even for beginner kits, the sound is made to quality standards.. but over here we cant enjoy the tone and sound of our drums to the fullest at home.. thus RudimentalDrummer started this thread.. on muffling drums ( realised that he uses a Mapex QR - one of Mapex's lower end kits)

and i forgot 1 more ting.. RudimentalDrummer, can u video the what the kit sounds like after muffling? so we can hear how much its muffled and more or less what the drums would sound lyk in the end =/

i get your point too yoda. problem is i dont have a kit and im considering if i shoudl even get one, because i pretty much expect my neighbours to be non-noise tolerant. and to make tings worse, my main genre is rock and metal.. imagine playing metal to non-noise tolerant people.. they would scream the hell back at you.. metal is smth that i would say is very hard to keep it soft because of the fast moving actions.. ( i dont tink i would wanna explain this through Physics theories and such.. and Physics formulas.. YES i am STILL a student..) thats y til now all i have is a pad, and i step on the floor to practise..

and... drums are actually manufactured based on the western side's tinking ( smth i pretty much realised and put together..). their houses are so much bigger than our HBD flats, thus they seldom nid to kill their sound.. so even for beginner kits, the sound is made to quality standards.. but over here we cant enjoy the tone and sound of our drums to the fullest at home.. thus RudimentalDrummer started this thread.. on muffling drums ( realised that he uses a Mapex QR - one of Mapex's lower end kits)

I am always sympathetic to people in your position with constraints at home to do serious real practices on the drumset. Rather than struggle with trying to muffle rooms and drumsets, you should continue practising on the pads...you will get much benefit on your stroking and coordination...without the accompanying noise which would make it ideal but impractical. The real drums practice you should do in a studio - try the various CCs who normally let their members hire the studios at a fraction of outside prices. You have to join the CC (between $20-30 a year) and then use the studios during the day (off peak hours). Or join one of the drum schools (like Music Lab) and spend more time working it out when the studios are not occupied. When there is a will there's always a way.

oh hey ya thx! and yea i did join a drum school ( My Drum School) =) does all CC rent studios? and what eqp are included in the studios? actually even if i could hv a muffed up drum at home i dun mind.. b'coz it at least allows me to feel real drums and practise coordination and come out with new fills etc.. ( lyk hear how it would sound, instead of singing the fill to myself LOL!)
from the 1st day i pick up metal ( months ago, not too long..) til now, i have yet to practise my double pedal.. i could onli practise by coordinating both legs stepping on the floor, which on actual fact i do not noe if the feel and force i am applying would be the same for the real pedals.. the closest sound i can get out of my practise pad is the most central drum.. snare.. other tings are juz air drumming lols..

oh hey ya thx! and yea i did join a drum school ( My Drum School) =) does all CC rent studios? and what eqp are included in the studios? actually even if i could hv a muffed up drum at home i dun mind.. b'coz it at least allows me to feel real drums and practise coordination and come out with new fills etc.. ( lyk hear how it would sound, instead of singing the fill to myself LOL!)
from the 1st day i pick up metal ( months ago, not too long..) til now, i have yet to practise my double pedal.. i could onli practise by coordinating both legs stepping on the floor, which on actual fact i do not noe if the feel and force i am applying would be the same for the real pedals.. the closest sound i can get out of my practise pad is the most central drum.. snare.. other tings are juz air drumming lols.

To answer your question..most CCs have some kind of music studios and many also have drum sets.You have to ask around. The deal is to join the CC as a member (quite cheap) then apply to use the studio for practice...they don't usually care if its a band or solo as long as you pay the hourly rates. EG., Tanglin CC studios (fully equipped) go for time slots of 4 hours each at $20..ie., only $5 an hour. Evenings and weekends are always full but weekdays quite easy to get. What about the Ulu Pandan CC where the Drum Exchanges are held? I know the Kampong Chai Chee CC also got studios.

One point to remember about muffling the drums too much..you may get used to the feel and sound that you will find it strange to play on a normal kit which is not so muffled. I see beginners always over muffle their drums when they play gigs...remember its not the sound you hear from your throne..it's what the audience hear that is important.

If your basic technique is correct there is no totally different second method. If your strokes etc are properly executed you do not need to flail away with your arms like a construction worker ..the volume increment is minimal and then there is miking !!

I disagree Frank ... In Drumming there is no one Only Single..Correct or Best Method ...depending on the Situation

Last edited:
To answer your question..most CCs have some kind of music studios and many also have drum sets.You have to ask around. The deal is to join the CC as a member (quite cheap) then apply to use the studio for practice...they don't usually care if its a band or solo as long as you pay the hourly rates. EG., Tanglin CC studios (fully equipped) go for time slots of 4 hours each at $20..ie., only $5 an hour. Evenings and weekends are always full but weekdays quite easy to get. What about the Ulu Pandan CC where the Drum Exchanges are held? I know the Kampong Chai Chee CC also got studios.

One point to remember about muffling the drums too much..you may get used to the feel and sound that you will find it strange to play on a normal kit which is not so muffled. I see beginners always over muffle their drums when they play gigs...remember its not the sound you hear from your throne..it's what the audience hear that is important.

oh ok thx. i may ask ard the CC soon? haha. and true thx for the advise abt the sound, that wad i play is for the audience and not for myself.

Sounds like an advertisement for CCs. Isn't this against the rules? Is this posting to advertise CCs under the guise of helping those around the forum?

Isn't even worse when playing on a pad? That feels even less like a drum, and you'll be pretty bewildered when you sit down at the kit. At least the muffled kit feels like a drum. It was a lifesaver for me to be able to practice drums on tekong during bmt without annoying anyone yet feel realistic. The pad can't compare.

Isn't even worse when playing on a pad? That feels even less like a drum, and you'll be pretty bewildered when you sit down at the kit. At least the muffled kit feels like a drum. It was a lifesaver for me to be able to practice drums on tekong during bmt without annoying anyone yet feel realistic. The pad can't compare.

Pads does serve it's Purpose and I am stillusing it every day for Practice eg Strokes......However there are certain things you cannot get the best benefit as in Playing with a Muffled Kit too ... eg - How are you going to practice Moving around the Kit ..so a Muffled Kit is good for Practice here...as in a real situation.

Back