HowTo Muff Your Acoustic Kit(Low Cost/Retaining Feel/Touch/Sound-Avoid Complains

Hey rudimentaldrummer, thanks for all the sharing.. I just went to Spotlight at Plaza Singapura to get 1kg x 2 bags of fibre fill (to make humpty dumpty cushion) all for $35 and ready to dismantle my drum kit when I get home and stuff it all in!!!

I love looking at the birch wood inside the toms (mine is a Tama Superstar Custom) but soon will only see clouds of white fibre... but what you did sounds cool...!!!

Hey rudimentaldrummer, thanks for all the sharing.. I just went to Spotlight at Plaza Singapura to get 1kg x 2 bags of fibre fill (to make humpty dumpty cushion) all for $35 and ready to dismantle my drum kit when I get home and stuff it all in!!!

I love looking at the birch wood inside the toms (mine is a Tama Superstar Custom) but soon will only see clouds of white fibre... but what you did sounds cool...!!!

Here's an update... this works very well for the snare (I have a regular birch wood snare and a steel brass shell snare)... there is tighter "thuck"s now without too much openness (so the volume is reduced somehow maybe by 20% as the sound travel is reduced somewhat) - at first, I filled the snare full without forcing, but this gave a very dull "thod thod" sound even with the snare on.. so removed half of the fluff with some space for the sound to breathe.. and perfect!

Now, the toms were a challenge... I tried different amounts.. quarter, half, full... they're defnitely damped after, but when I put back the Remo plastic muffler rings back on.. oh no... "thod thod" from the toms!! Remove the Remos, and OK.. enough resonance for the LIVE effect... and volume perhaps by 20%... However, I felt it better to leave the toms empty and with just the Remo rings on for more pronounced deep tommy sounds... so I removed all the fibre and left the toms status quo..

Put a whole 1kg bag of the holly fibre (meant for humpty dumpty) into the bass drum and the bass drum is now very controlled and volume definitely down.. I didn't take the fibre out of the plastic bag though, so my next attempt will be to transfer the fibre into an old pillow case and throw it back in...

Hope the fibre won't grow 'anything' like the newspapers or affect the shells!

Last edited:
Finally manage to stuff the drums with the stuffing thing. The toms sound like crap. No more tommmmmmm.... now it is tok tok tok. Have to give and take i guess.

Finally manage to stuff the drums with the stuffing thing. The toms sound like crap. No more tommmmmmm.... now it is tok tok tok. Have to give and take i guess.

Aiyo... Like that might as well buy electronic drums or practice pads... Wasted right... cannot hear ur nice acoustics of the drums.

Are you able to put up a sound clip/video?! Btw you stuffed the toms to the brim? Did you try quarter/half?

Looks like I'll just get a beginner set instead of a higher-end kit... =(

Yea man. Waste cannot hear the power of acoustic drums but what to do, bought liao. Maybe after I strike 4D i'll go and get myself a solid edrum. In the mean time, this will have to do.

I think some of you are missing the whole point!

The idea is to be able to reduce volume and yet still be able to practice on an acoustic kit. This allow you to be able to still be able to "feel" real skins. If you want good sound, then get an e-kit, but that is totally different from the point of this idea. Practicing on an e-kit or practice pad is way too different from practicing on an acoustic kit and that is the reason why this muffling idea surfaced...

Nowadays... Electronic drums are very well design and the feel is as good as it gets... I am not sure but i think its Roland V-drums that has very good and close to the actual acoustic drums feel. I think its great for beginners or guys that worries HDB neighbors complain and doesn't want the extreme loudness the acoustic drums produces. As for me... hahaha... i would love to have both... If late in the night and inspiration comes can still practice on e Electronic drums...

I am rather blessed to have neighbors that doesn't complain... So far so good for the last 4yrs... I am the old skool acoustic drums fellow so will stick to the acoustic drums and cross my fingers my neighbor will not bang on my door. However, i did put up acoustic foams to reduce the ringing and to dampen the sound. A more dead room kinda sound... Will not help a lot in reducing the noise to the neighbors but will be of some help. The most important thing is... My drums sounds so much better!

Just like Sonny Emory said...if you only practice on an e-kit....you will be soft (not pertaining to volume but touch, dexterity etc etc) as a kitten when you sit behind an acoustic kit. No matter how loose you de-tune the mesh heads, it still bounces a lot more than a tight snare drum for example....also, the "feel" of the mesh head is always softer than an actual skin and if you have a rubber type pad, it feels harder than actual skins....

I used to live in a compound that was surrounded by retirees (in Melbourne). I kept having this old lady bang on my door for the first week I moved there. I felt that I had to do something just to be fair to her. I tried practicing with sound-off pads and my technique suffered quite a bit after 2-3 months. After some research I finally decided to try out the tontine method. The volume difference is HUGE!! She was totally happy after that and we managed to live in harmony for 3 years!! Also Rudimentaldrummer managed to get very satisfactory results too....

The whole point is to be able to practice with a device that feels much closer to that of the real thing....and still keep your neighbors happy (we are not discussing about the acoustic sound qualities here). No matter how advance the e-kit technology is now, it is still far from feeling like the real thing.

I've been practising with E-kit for past couple years. An whenever I'm behind an acoustic kit, everything somehow seems weird...Things I could do at home, I can't execute them on the real kit smoothly...

Looks like I've been suffering tremendously... =|

Nothing beats having the REAL thing man!

Back