HowTo Muff Your Acoustic Kit(Low Cost/Retaining Feel/Touch/Sound-Avoid Complains

WOAH.pro man.anyway,rudi,how you transport your drumset back to your house when you buy?cab?

STICKY THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have to take a Cab to bring all my Drums home each time - then spend a day Polishing it as most of my kits are 2nd-hand ones (this is the most tiring job - to bring your Kit to shine again)....

Yes I have to take a Cab to bring all my Drums home each time - then spend a day Polishing it as most of my kits are 2nd-hand ones (this is the most tiring job - to bring your Kit to shine again)....

Haha yeah I know what you mean =X I didn't realize how bad it could get until I got some secondhand toms... it was horrible. Lucky my own drumset isn't moved much and I don't let it get damaged or tarnished.

just curious...tho i don't play drums at all...

will this ''muffling'' actually affect the sound of the drums? or is it like the main volume control on a guitars amp? in other words...it only decreases the loudness and nothing else?

EDIT: i came into this thread simply because it was at the home page...

will this ''muffling'' actually affect the sound of the drums?
or is it like the main volume control on a guitars amp? in other words...it only decreases the loudness and nothing else?
QUOTE]
Yes This Muffling will somehow affect the sound of the Drums (as it is Muffled - to bring down the noise level of the Kit) - - - - The entire kit volume will be brought down - However - how near you want the sound of the drum to sound like the (Original like without the Muffling on) correspond with the Loudness in a certain way.

But it can be tuned down (and still get different sound from each Individual drums here)

Last edited:
Hi, is it possible to get some sample recordings of your kit? preferably one-shots or simple fills.. I'm particularly interested in how the kick and snare sounds. thanks!

also, good to hear your neighbour problem is gone (hopefully)!

i see..and how much would a soft but yet a good drum set cost?

Seriously I feel that if I want to make the drums Soft - (which is the key objective here), then really dont need to invest so much $$$$ on this so call Practice- kit - maybe from around S$400 to S$500 for the Kit (1st or 2nd-hand depending on the Brand here too) add the cost of Muffling the Kit which is not expensive - - But no Cymbals here har which is a seperate thing (have to be excluded here).

Last edited:
Hi, is it possible to get some sample recordings of your kit? preferably one-shots or simple fills.. I'm particularly interested in how the kick and snare sounds. thanks!

also, good to hear your neighbour problem is gone (hopefully)!

OK bro, I will put some sample (of a Video using my Hand Phone) when I have the time to do it - sure no problem, so that you all can hear (most importantly how the Snare and Bass Drum sounded-this to me is also the most important).

PS:- As I had explain earlier on (How I did the Muffling for the snare which in this case is different from the way I muff all the Toms) - - - as for the Tom-Toms I have a (Rubber HQ Pad place at the bottom - this is because I wanted the toms to be softer)......So, if the Tom-toms are did exactly in the same manner as the Snare Method - It will be louder (of course-but in very acceptable level too) and you will get a (Much closer tom sound nearer to the Original Tom Sound).

I have to us (method a) now for my toms, because, my neighbour complain case is still pretty fresh still) - - till later on - I might take out the HQ-Rubber-Pad from all my toms (no worry not say very loud here, just a little louder) to get the more real tom sound.

Last edited:
Maybe could you tell me where you got yours? I really want to get my drums done so my neighbours would shut the hell up.

@terencei: Sorry for offtopic, but I haven't seen you around the forum lately, and I think your PM inbox is full. Sent you two PMs but I don't think they received.

Maybe could you tell me where you got yours? I really want to get my drums done so my neighbours would shut the hell up.

OK, I got all the Materials from The Cushion/Carpet Shop - the one Directly Opposite DXS Meetup (Jurong Green CC), blk 40 sonthing Jurong West Ave.1.

One question:

With the high level of humidity in Singapore, is stuffing the drums with plain cotton advisable?

I don't need to muffle my kit up, but the question popped up whilst reading through the thread.

Back