How often do you change your strings?

TidesOfBlood

i know everyone plays at different frequencies (pun intended), but yeah i just want to see how often you people change.

i play at least once every 2 days for at least an hour.. and i haven't changed in at least 2 years. ;p strings are still working very fine though.

i changed my strings once recently, but i plan to never change my strings ever again, until one snaps :)

I got a bright sound from the new strings, and i wipe down + oil my strings everytime after I play. that'll keep them lasting, and I also want the warm old strings sound back again :)

i havent changed strings since i got my guitar.
which is.. 4 months?
strangely they didnt rust even though i have sweaty hands.

You'll know when to change when you can aurally detect a significant muddiness in the sound....for me it's normally once every 3-4 months......DR HI-Beams baby...costly :(

ok, i'm still very puzzled how so many pple here are able to snap their strings on a regular basis.

it's.... unhealthy

edit: oh, they're guitar strings you're talking about? isn't this a bass thread?

Last edited:
i just realised i didn't specify BASS, even though this is in the bass section, but aiya just let the responses come in ;p

my bass sounds the same through and through with the 2++ year old strings ley! i see you all change strings so often i scratch head.

I don't think it's about how long your strings can last we are talking about here.
I change my strings once they don't feel smooth to glide through the fretboard and rust can be seen.

It's about how you take care of your strings + guitar.

Proper cleaning + oil + wipe before and after use.

Take good care of the strings and it'll last you a long long time.

Peace & Cheers

got alot of guitarists here who secretly want to be bassits lah

anyway i have tried rottenramone's methylated spirit method... and it works

looks like i won't have a reason to change strings anymore... unless im looking for a different tone

this is the original thread!
http://soft.com.sg/forum/how-bass/11030-boil-strings.html

some of e guys there soaked it for a day, i just left it there for a couple of hours
not 100% restored though, but it's ok, if they became as bright as they were when i bought them it would have been quite freaky. and this is the first time i am cleaning this set

oh yeah it definitely beats boiling strings, which i have tried. boiling leaves them with a gritty feel, prob due to tarnishing. and the brightness doesnt last long. plus your mom wont ask what the heck you are doing in the kitchen :mrgreen:

i know everyone plays at different frequencies (pun intended), but yeah i just want to see how often you people change.

i play at least once every 2 days for at least an hour.. and i haven't changed in at least 2 years. ;p strings are still working very fine though.

For at least 2 years? Wow. I change mine depending on the frequency I play.

Some change it very often becos they like the freshness and snappiness of new strings, but then again there are bassists like Bootsy Collins who never changes their strings becos they believe that "the funk is in the junk".

"Bassically", just wipe down your strings after every play and keep a silica gel into your bass bag. They'll help to prolong your string life. Or, get some coated strings from Elixir.

For at least 2 years? Wow. I change mine depending on the frequency I play.

Some change it very often becos they like the freshness and snappiness of new strings, but then again there are bassists like Bootsy Collins who never changes their strings becos they believe that "the funk is in the junk".

"Bassically", just wipe down your strings after every play and keep a silica gel into your bass bag. They'll help to prolong your string life. Or, get some coated strings from Elixir.
elixirs have a fantastic feel but i don't like the fact that it flakes pretty easily

im currently on dr extra life's and they are still kinda new so i cant compare as yet

there are also cleartones which claim to have some super thin coating that resists flaking

SO MANY STRINGS TO BUY. NOT ENOUGH BASSES. bottom line = NOT ENOUGH MONEY

i change it every 3 or 4 month depends on frequen of play, wipe with piece of cloth after each session . also wipe with ghs oil both outer & inner side of the strings then loose it if not playin for many days let say for 1 week.

yea i agree boiling isn't really that effective... doncha guys find it irritating that strings snap easy while popping haha i burst my g-string (no pun intended) just before recording!!?!*@&#%

eh ... 3 - 6 months depending on my frequency of play ... (pun intended too) ...

but i use the methylated spirit method too ... it helps extend my string life to about 2 months or so .. saves me the cash lah .. =) ...

anyway .. one thing about it .. don't reuse the methylated spirit too many times .. after a while so much dirt and grim gets into the liquid it doesn't work anymore .. like how i discovered just yesterday when i soaked my strings .. =( ...

off topic: what is the layman term for methylated spirit? the hardware shop people at my place only understand mandarin. tell them methylated sprit and they go "ah?"

i've not change my bass strings for 3 years. still sounds pretty ok to me.

Back