Heroes - A Walk Through Time

kimura

This post isn't meant to glorify certain individuals, it's meant to share. Inspiration is everywhere, from the licks of one Joe Satriani to the cardbox thumps of street musicians. Even to the streets of Singapore.

Suhaimi - Most of us know him from Stompin' Ground. Those who fervently follow the band will know how far they've come. Their success was through hardwork& sheer dedication to the art. From doing covers of RHCP Stone Cold Bush, to Jimi's Fire to the original tunes they're churning out to date, they've shown that if you have self-belief, nothing is impossible. Suhaimi's guitar sound is distinctive& that's what make the band unique. He has proven that age is never a barrier. Not many were lucky enough to have watched a home made of them jammin' in the studios which incuded the Substation 24hr Gig. I did, I still remember.

Silent Sorrow - These boys practically grew up in TNT. From the crazy antics of Dean, stagediving on concrete to the amazing talent of Danny, Pann & Boon ( Lim included ). Pann& Dean are now in Concave Scream, I apologize for I do not the whereabouts of Lim& Danny. Boon is still doing his bass thing I'm sure.

Adam - THE man from Global Chaos. I think he is solely responsible for introducing a lot of rockers to the 'alternative' scene. His past of who's who in Global Chaos can rival any star-studded lineup at Lollapalooza or FarmAid. Gary, one of his original drummers went on to play with Eza& Dharma. Dharma is now unleashing his minimally captivating sound in The Orbsevatory but not before blues-ing,jazzing it out in Heritage. If you chill out at any live music pub with rawkin' bands, chances are they all know Adam.

Ray - The guy behind the drums in OP. If you think trash metal was his only forte, than you didn't know that he sessioned with the legendary Platters when they played here sometime back. Ray's amazing adaptibility have seen him through the ages with OP amongst other bands like Throb, The Power Onions etc. So how do one find time between being infront of a classroom full of kids& the beats of a drum? Passion.

Nunsex - Azmy& gang were always there, pushing the boundaries of music. You should have been at their gigs, to know what it was like. I remember him on a sitar at a gig back in the WTC gig days. When they performed at Parwkay Parade, they brought in their own trippy lighting effect. Then there was MindRapeProtestants which Azmy was a part of. Kheng one of the front man, is now a figure in an international record label.

Flow - You talk about gritty,stoner rock.. you gotta talk about Topet& friends. How many bands could play Reef next to Soundgarden, topped with a delicious layer of C.O.C?

..there are many others who were part of those tumultuous, eventfilled times. The bands, the fans/friends, the labels to even the jammin' studio owners.. Groundbreaking could not even come close to describing what was happening then. The best recording tool was probably a Fostex 4track recorder which was streteched to its max. Back then the music you'd get on radio were Tokyo Square, Gingerbread, Energy ( yes they had an album out ) but because of these folks& their cohorts, 'mainstream' couldn't turn a deaf ear no more.

Local music so called 'underground' bands began to break into the playlist.

To those of you who are about to start a band & the like, never give up on the passion/drive/desire. To those of you who're about to release first demos, play your first gig, cherish the moment& enjoy.

To those of you still going strong, you're always an inspiration.

Back then there were no MySpace, Facebook nor even SOFT. How times have changed, use these outlets to express yourselves. Thank you SOFT for creating a channel for those about to rock..

& to those folks...

I salute you.

Last edited:
Back