Help me choose my beginner amplifier

arvinsim

I have searched around my city for amplifiers last week. These are the ones that are available and within my budget

• Black Fly 3
  • Orange Crush Mini
  • Orange Crush 12
  • VOX AC2 RhythmVOX
  • VOX Pathfinder 10

I live in an apartment so I won't be able to jam out late nights. People tell me to get an amp that has a way to plug my headphones in if I want to practice in the evening.

This is just for practice. I don't have plans to do gigs. If I get to that point, I would probably have saved for a bigger amplifier already.

I want to train my ears so I guess having clean sound is more important than having lots of effects.

Which one of the above would be the best?

Maybe you can consider getting an audio interface instead for practice purposes :D but it does requires to go through a few more hoops like connecting to pc, getting Digital Audio Workstation, 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter plug if your headphones has the regular small plug(some headphones may have this item).

I personally got an audio interface after I bought a second hand budget amp(Sold the amp as soon as I used the audio interface granted it was kinda crappy to begin with :p)
So basically its using your pc as an amp, but now you also have a way to record yourself and other misc stuff the DAW can do.

If you decide to go this route, and currently dont have a DAW, you can use cakewalk by bandlab for free(highly recommend getting this if you are on budget and too lazy to search online for other amp sim/impulse responses as it comes bundled with it).
Search igniteamps for vst related to amp sims/ir loader if you wish to try out other amp sims.

Based on amazon, I estimated your budget to be around 60-100 Usd.
I'm using a behringer umc204hd got it for 80usd last year, apparently the price has increased quite abit.
So maybe you can look at behringer umc22(60usd) or other similar audio interface around your budget if you are interested.

Hope this helps, Cheers :D

The only audio interface that I am familiar with is the Scarlett Focusrite Solo. Is that good enough?

As for DAW, is Garageband good enough?

The only audio interface that I am familiar with is the Scarlett Focusrite Solo. Is that good enough?

As for DAW, is Garageband good enough?

Yep :D Both of them would do well, I'm taking it as you are a mac user.
Only didn't list the focusrite solo because of the higher price compared to other audio interfaces with the same features.

Yep I already have a Mac.

Focusrite is easy to find here but I can't find the Behringer one locally.

If it is within your budget to get the Focusrite one then get it.
If not there are other brands such as M-audio, Presonus and many others you can look into.

Latest posts

Back