Guitar wall hang vs stand

Hotpunk

Hello,
I would like to ask about guitar wall hangs and stands.

I'm currently using a stand, but I would like to give the wall hang a try.

Is it
-bad for the guitar's neck [will a stand be bad too?]
-safe enough
if i'm using the wall hang ??

What are the pros and cons when comparing the wall hang and the stand.

And what brands are good ??

I will appreciate every comment and advice given,
Even the mean ones

Thank you very much:p

Last edited:
You got to make sure that it is drilled well. as most wall hang requires u to drill a hole in your wall. so think twice.
also if your guitar is a heavy beast do be careful.

I think there should be no problem hanging the guitar unless you hang it horizontally? lol

One of the reason people hang guitar is to save some space.
Getting a guitar stand is much more portable and convenient since you save your time drilling holes on your wall.

Good luck.

Hah, horizontally ...
:rolleyes:

Oh thanks guys.

But I was told that hanging the guitar vertically is better as there won't be string tensions on the neck.

Is that true ??

But stands look safer to me.

Thanks a lot

Stand is the way to go! u dont want to sleep halfway and hear a loud bang and ur guitar is on the floor the next moment :p

I slept nxt to my guitar on the stand at night. and i accidentally kicked it.. ):
I heard the loud bang.
I saw them on the floor the next moment too.
Bad days..

That happened to me too. :(

I tied my stand to my bed after that.

But i'm gonna get an explorer shaped guitar.
What kind of stand can I use?

Hercules ??

Oh man for my explorer i left it in the softbag and lay it near the stand.
once i put it on the stand the sharp point hits the floor..
And i sold it..

Ya, that's my problem man.

That's why i'm thinking of hanging it on da wall.

Thanks anyway dude
Appreciate it

I hang my guitars on the wall, and it's been pretty safe for 3 years now. Hanging a recently acquired j-bass hasn't caused a problem yet (to be fair, a j-bass is pretty light on the bass weight scale). I had a long, solid block of wood fixed onto the wall for drilling into, so that the folks won't complain about me spoiling the wall.

Standard Value has decent hangers at $16 a piece. Tilting the hanger gives it a guitar shop look. :D

hang it.
Make pretty sure that you drill 'em holes nicely and that the wall hangers are secure.
Last thing you want is for it to come crashing down on you.

Floor stands are OK if you have ample floor space.
However, the chances of knocking them over are greater. Plus dust & dirt from the floor will not do the gtr any good.

I hang both of mine and every now & then, i take a step back, look up and admire them :)
You gotta love your gtr .... hehehe

yea agreed.. i have my share of near death experience for my guitars when im im lying on my bed and so happen to knock it over with my leg..
but for me there's been one reason that stops me from getting a wall stand.. and it's the dust that might accumulate over your guitar :/ i mean idk if i were to hang it up i might just treat it as a decoration in a long run lmao

I know this might sound very out of point but i prefer to keep it in the bag for several reasons:

1. It doesn't accumulate much dust. In the open, dust builds up very quickly on the guitar. While this may not affect the tone, it certainly makes cleaning a bother.
2. The guitar can be insulated, at least partially (depending on your case/bag), from the elements. Put a dehumidifyer in and your strings and chrome hardware should take longer to corrode, and if yours is an acoustic guitar, it will prevent the top from 'popping out'.
3. Physical protection. Again, depends on the case/bag. In the open, any careless dumbo (eg your mother/brother/sister/maid/yourself) can knock the guitar down. In the case that's less likely to happen. In addition, any paddings in the bag will further protect your guitar in case someone does knock it down.

Of course, it lacks the 'feel good' factor of seeing your guitar proudly hanging from the wall, but i'd gladly trade the condition of my axe for its 'displayability'. After all, having a guitar that's been banged up due to numerous careless mishaps displayed on the wall doesn't look good either.

Actually, there's a hanging stand. No need to drill holes in the wall, yet uses the same concept, but it does occupy space as it is a floor stand. This type, I think: http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50332577/Guitar_Stand.jpg

Basically, it hangs from the headstock, and at the bottom there is something extending out where the back of the body rests on.

So it would work for weird-shaped guitars too, provided it's tall enough. If it isn't... the horn of the explorer would probably hit the floor...

loldude333: Kind of troublesome taking the guitar out and plugging it in whenever you want to play, but yeah. Not only the physical benefits, but mental ones too. I always feel more secure when they're in the cases. :p

Hahaha yeah. Actually the reason u mentioned above is one that i frequently use to explain my abject lack of practice hahahaha. As my guitars are kept in 1 room, the amp in another, and the multi-efx+cables in yet another. And i have to use the hallway to practice, which irks the hell out of just about everyone in my family.

having tons of gigbags with guitar's in em stacking on top of each other in a corner of your room feels better thn looking at a single hanged up guitar lol :D

For this Hari Raya, both my gtrs were taken down & evicted from 'MY extra room' and theyre know tuck away safely in gig bags hidden from view. The wifie thinks theyre 'buat semak" & an eyesore .... :rolleyes:.

Since I dont see 'em, I dont play 'em like whenever I feel like. Equals less playing. Thats the down side.
So, its only weekends that I take 'em out for a run.

Back