Guitar Recommendations around $500

mickey18588

Hi

Previous I started a thread asking for opinions between Yamaha FG730S vs Alvarez AD70 for my next guitar
http://www.soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?334600-Yamaha-FG730S-vs-Alvarez-AD70-for-my-next-guitar
The responses I gotten were pretty much subjective to the person's preference. I did my research on the web and FG730S seems to draw raving reviews everywhere while AD70 is pretty silent.

I personally liked the sound of AD70 but perhaps I am not experienced enough to really tell. I have been playing for more than a year now and my current guitar is a Yamaha F310 so any better guitar sounds good. But instead of narrowing down to only 2, I decided to expand my horizon and look to other brands. Went to Swee Lee and found a few Cort and Ibanez guitars within that range (didn't really note the models) that sounded pretty decent. I hear Takamine is also pretty ok.

So I would like to ask you guys your personal recommendations based on your experience with the various brands. Something that would justify the price of it, my budget is around $500 plus/minus $50. Appreciate if you could recommend some specific models and where I can find it. Thanks!

1. Since tone preferences are subjective, of course everyone's recommendation will be subjective. Hence the advice to use your own ears. Online reviews are subject to the same subjectivity, so they're only useful as far as understanding how many people can like the same tone. That being said, it is possible to tell 'bad tone' from 'good tone'; subjectivity arises because people have difference preferences for their own desired tone.

2. You've tried out those all those models mentioned, so if you really cannot distinguish which one you like best, look at more empirical things like price, warranty, freebies, guitar condition (cosmetic, fret levels/wear etc) and playability.

Hey Mickey,

While you are there in Swee Lee, didn't you see a full solid Parkwood (Sitka/mahogany) with a hard shell case and going for S$499 ? Take that one, good action n loud but if mahogany is not your wood, too bad. This is the best full solid for under 500S$. If you have the money, try out the Cort full solid Sitka over Madagascar rosewood for 1.6K n some nice blings too. If not for some reasons, I think I'd took her home.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, swee lee in star vista.

There is a full solid Sitka/Mahogany Parkwood going for less than $500??!??! I AM SO TRYING THAT BABY OUT!

So how is it. Sold?

Full solid are hard to come by for that price.

Back to Thread starter Mickey,

I bought a LL6 Yamaha at Luther... Retail at $690.... and the guitars you want are having offer now too...

Check out luther music for special deal this weekend!

There are some pretty nice full solid guitars at citymusic. The brand is custom acoustic. It's city music's in house brand. Pretty good value guitars.

@snowcrash: Exams and no time anyways; i'm quite sure its gone now.

Custom Acoustics offer good specs, but in my experience they tend to sound kind of dull.....no idea why. I tried different picks, and my friends tried slapping on different strings, but most pieces i've tried in store and with friends tend to lack that sparkle and definition that most people love about a good acoustic tone. Nevertheless, they're worth a try if you can find a good piece. Just maybe that i'm suay and haven't managed to find one yet :p

Yes try Epiphone AJ220s I think they sound marvellous. They go very well with heir gibson strings.

I find custom acoustics..even though full soilid...isnt impressive. anyway u need more care with fulkl solid.

I am a heavy strummer so I eally like the epiphone EJ200CE jumbo. You can strum it so hard, it doesnt break down....the soid spruce + maple gives it a very fast attadking sound !

Just my 2cts

Hi Mickey!

Firstly no one is experienced enough to tell you what you should like. Though there are generally bad sounds we can all agree on.

Nevertheless, ask yourself why you like that AD70.
Look up what the different shapes - dreadnought, jumbo, grand auditorium (for me, i just like DN cause of the comfort)
Look up what the different tonewoods give you.
Full solid? Solid top? Why? Why not?

My journey to buying my first "atas" acoustic was:
1 - I wanted a dreadnought
2 - My budget was ~$600
3 - At least a solid top
4 - Bright and sharp attack
6 - Matte/Satin finish
7 - Prefer with preamp
Brands considered: Takamine, Cort, Ibanez, Custom Acoustics, Maestro and Crafter. Went with a Crafter DE12/N from Ranking. No regrets since.

Set a budget and some criteria and try all the guitars!

Latest posts

Back