Guitar Intonation and Technology

johnny_be_goode

Articles:
http://www.doolinguitars.com/intonation/intonation1.html
http://www.guitarramagazine.com/Intonation
http://www.pjguitar.com/article1.htm
http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/Tuning/tuning.html#compensation

Since the early development of electric guitar, we could improve/adjust the intonation of the upper frets because of the bridge. But they do nothing at the nut side. :(
inton2.jpg

The Technology:

1. Using frets:

Yamaha Wavefret
CO_AESFG.jpg

Adding a Zero Fret - eg Kritz, Steinberger
nut02.jpg
stein3.jpg

2. Using Nuts

Equal Temperament: Earvana, Catalyst AP Nut System
nut.jpg
nxtnut.jpg

Unequal Temperament:

Buzz Feiten
nuttop2.jpg
nuttop1.jpg

Monte's eNut
eNut_Installation.jpg

Gr3y said:
Great research over there!

monte enut interest me the most :D

If you get the eNut kit which came with his "ETS Custom Tuning Offsets"
You will need the Strobostomp, see where is this going... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strobostomp: http://soft.com.sg/2006/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22093

But eNut may seems similar to BFTS, but it's not.
BFTS is not a "one size fits all" solution - All retrofitters will use their proprietary software and the distant between the BFTS nut and the first fret is calulated after taking into account the scale length and fret size of the guitar/bass.

>>if you are the kinda guy whose wants the perfect note at that precise point of pressure then Buzz Freiten is for you ....but for feel with all that bends and sweet 'misadventures' ....no can do lah !!

I prefer my instrument NOT perfect as i am NOT perfect :D

There will be always something new to "improve" on the flawed electric guitar but i wonder why the prices for vintage or even vintage 'like' is goin up up and away ....
Yes the buzz freiten is an improvement ...period ... but is it nessacery ??!

+1 to gsonique's post...

Looking at it from another perspective, are you even aware of the "flaws" of the instrument to begin with? If this whole load of marketing was never bestowed upon you would you even perceive such a need?

If you can't tell the difference there's no point in changing anything. Or more rather, if you're not at a level (i.e. your ears are trained well enough to perceive differences in intonation) why buy into the whole thing?

Same thing goes for cables, strings, hardware, etc etc.

I would like to be able to correct the problem with playing chords in tune within the 1st few frets.

If anyone wants to try if they can tell the difference, tune up, tune up VERY well, then play an open E chord. Then play an open A chord.

The A chord will be out of tune.

Then when you compensate for the A chord, your E chord will be out of tune!

Tee hee hee ~

gsonique said:

hehehe... yeah lah.

But it really does matter when doing recording... especially when playing with keyboards.

The guitar is hopelessly out of tune when playing with unfretted instruments though... like violins, cellos, trumpets, etc etc. Hopeless.

i have played with keyboards and violin ....just need to wing it mate !!

Usually a good keyboard player will tune to a tuned guitar >> :D

gsonique said:
i have played with keyboards and violin ....just need to wing it mate !!

Usually a good keyboard player will tune to a tuned guitar >> :D

I played with some too in army... MAN... gotta be very carefully with tuning up and how hard I fret. And bend. And vibrato. :(

Hahaha... how do you tune your keys to a guitar?! Progressively flat as we go up the scale? :lol:

gsonique said:
>>if you are the kinda guy whose wants the perfect note at that precise point of pressure then Buzz Freiten is for you ....but for feel with all that bends and sweet 'misadventures' ....no can do lah !!

I prefer my instrument NOT perfect as i am NOT perfect :D

There will be always something new to "improve" on the flawed electric guitar but i wonder why the prices for vintage or even vintage 'like' is goin up up and away ....
Yes the buzz freiten is an improvement ...period ... but is it nessacery ??!

SoulJah said:
+1 to gsonique's post...

Looking at it from another perspective, are you even aware of the "flaws" of the instrument to begin with? If this whole load of marketing was never bestowed upon you would you even perceive such a need?

If you can't tell the difference there's no point in changing anything. Or more rather, if you're not at a level (i.e. your ears are trained well enough to perceive differences in intonation) why buy into the whole thing?

Same thing goes for cables, strings, hardware, etc etc.

Anyone who have not heard the difference.
Because they have not try to.
That's why they are unaware of the flaw.
Most fretted notes on the lower frets are slightly sharper.
Depends on your guitar - there also those that sounded ok from the beginning and little offset is required.

Using your equal temperatment intonation, Tune up the your guitar as you would.
Try the test out yourself with a tuner. say the 3rd strings, lower frets.
Fret the note as you also would and you will notice where are the sharped notes.

This is a typical result.
pitch_comparison.gif

Then

Play the open chord: like A, E, Bm C etc

To test if you can hear the difference by either:
1. Try a different tuning offset,
e.g. BFTS, using Korg DT-7 or Strobostomp
2. Change to a offsetted nut eg. Earvana

Play the open chord: like A, E, Bm C etc again

Once you heard what your guitar should sound like,
you will never want to go back

For offsetting:
Chances are, you would have to bring the bridge offset so much closer to the neck, and sometimes to the max, that's why it is necessary to bring the nut closer to the first fret. How much closer would depend on the system and offset. So far I have found 2 system: the eNut and BFTS.
There may be more.... and with a good tuner (one that can offset like - Peterson made), you can even come out with your own.

For offsetted nut:
Improve the lower frets.
Earvana have few models for different guitars, particular fender and gibson.
It's a one size fit all solution, as he does not take into consideration of the fret size. Looking at the test result, it should work considering the price.
It's a big improvment.

BFTS on the other hand is tailor-made to your guitar. That's why the boutique price.

Then again, no system is perfect, not BFTS, Earvana, Zero Fret or eNut, they will only improve the intonation.
The system would be dependent on your choice and budget.

Personally, I'm not so particular about hi-end cables, hardware, vintage,
but pitch-wise, there should be no compromisation.

ok... you win lah !!! :D

everybody please do the mass order for the Strobostomp and enjoy perfect music :smt023

Depends also ba, if you bend everything, or live in dissonance..
Sometimes also it's interesting to hear something 'wrong' and put it into the context of the song. Only the western scale has 11 notes after all.

Depends, depends.

Back