Restringing AND cleaning a Floyd Rose Guitar

schred said:
pooo said:
My friend uses a joe satriani limited edition rg ibanez, with a speedloader

I think you might have made a mistake there. The Ibanez JS series electrics have Edge Pro Bridges, not speedloaders.

http://www.floydrose.com/images/bridges/speedloader.jpgSpeedloader

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/eg/know_more/images/rg_edge_pro.jpg
Edge Pro

Naw man..itz a rare edition. Had only a few in singapore. Can say abt only 5 of them. Itz nt a JS model. Itz an RG. Joe Satriani limited edition RG. I'll show u guys the pic soon. Spatans urs is the original patent.

If you don't mind, could we have pics of it?

schred said:
Speedloaders r seen in most of the high-end guitars, especially on Ibanez artistes' series.

What the...
I always thought that speedloaders were found on entry level bc rich guitars...

Huh?

Artist Series by Ibanez usually use the Lo Pro, Edge, or Edge Pro series Trems. What are you saying?

Oh yeah my mistake. Most of the Ibanez guitars do not have a licensed speedloader patent as its stock trem. Hahah..Sorry guys. So it turns out tht special edition guitar came with the speedloader. One of Steve Vai's guitars has a speedloader. Mr Floyd put it in himself. Floyd Rose is the MANUFACTURER of these trems. Companies like Scheller have gotten license to manufacture too. And Ibanez gets its license to come up with their edges n pros. A very gd site- http://electricguitar.50megs.com/tremolo.htm

Tell me something I don't already know :). Back to topic. String tension. There are a couple of ways to reduce it, depending on the type of floyd-trempost mechanism. (I.E. Knife blade or Ball bearings etc.)

Still researching on how. I feel its something to do with overall string tension , THEN the spring tension. May vary from trem to trem.

Spartan,
That is a licensed floyd rose model. It is NOT the original patent. And I believe on your floyd rose, it says, "licensed under floyd rose patents". The Original has a screw cap for tighting the arm torque. Plus BOTH the knife edges are enclosed, not open like yours. Btw, your intonation is very very out... you should get it done... check www.ibanezrules.com under the tech section for intonating a floyd rose. If you need any more help, just pm me. :)

Guys, please, do your research before telling him its an OFR. It is clearly NOT one.

Yeah thtz why i said licensed. Bt cow how do we know whether its not the original licensed trem when the original n the licensed original both look the same?? :?

schred said:
oh yeah sorry forgot to mention floyd rose "licences" most of the patents. Like thor said. Though u can purchase the original floyd rose brand. Thtz y u dont c the FLOYD ROSE signature on the bridge. Itz only stated as licensed by floyd rose.

This is very wrong.

You are implying that any licensed floyd rose out there, is like the original floyd rose, that it is AS GOOD AS the OFR.

Most licensed floyds are cheap imitators of the Original patent. Using inferior metals and QC, they are things that make guitarist regret ever taking up a "floyd rose" guitar.

Finally, schred, there was never any limited edition ibanez guitar with the Floyd Rose Speedloader system. Never. If there was ever an Ibanez guitar, then they are one off customs.

Btw, the Ibanez Edge and Lo Pro Edge systems are actually better than the OFR, in terms of feel (smoothness) and QC.

Bt isnt it the fact tht the companies take the idea of the original then make their own then license it under Floyd Rose? Oh i think itz a custom then.

schred said:
Yeah thtz why i said licensed. Bt cow how do we know whether its not the original licensed trem when the original n the licensed original both look the same?? :?

They do not look the same for one thing. Look at Spartan's floyd then compare it closely to the one on www.floydrose.com

One thing you pointed out, the licensed versions will have "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents" on it. Most of the time anyway.

The real deal has the Floyd Rose original logo on it. Plus, it is made of high quality steel.

schred said:
Bt isnt it the fact tht the companies take the idea of the original then make their own then license it under Floyd Rose? Oh i think itz a custom then.

Yes... then the companies have to pay for that license... Only a few make it as good as or better than the original.

Gotoh
Schaller
Ibanez

Thats abt it. Btw, the above are actually getting better than and ARE better
(in the Gotoh and Ibanez case) than the OFR.

schred said:
How abt when u compare Speedloader with the latest of the edge?

The original Ibanez Edge wins hands down. A tried and tested design. Unparallel stability and extremely smooth feel. Not to mention ridiculous pull up capability of like what, 6 frets????

For the speedloader system, you need to forgo tuners. Looks un-natural but thats actually okay lah...
The worst part of the Speedloader system is that you need to purchase speedloader strings. ONLY speedloader strings... these come with 2 ball ends. Try finding some at your local music store. Oh, and there's no coated strings for that too.

Speedloader, although fast string replacement, has quite a number of disadvantages too. Mainly about functionality and reliability, aside from cosmetics. I feel however, the Ibanez Floyds are much more better in any situation. More worth, less hassle.

Try finding some at your local music store

Totally non-existant man. In any case, the speedloader makes guitar look ugly imho. The absence of tuning machines really unnerves me.

Hmm..this all contradicts to what i heard frm a guy telling me to get a speedloader when i told him i wanted to change my trem. I was wondering y he didnt mention the ibanez licensed patents :?

Bias! When talking about gear, we should try to remain as true to the facts as possible. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, nothing is PERFECT. To favour a product and highly recommend it, is biased, yet not wrong. We all have our opinion. Just that, we should research properly, and scale the pros and cons of each system individually, not just believe what people tell us about.

One Cow's Water is another Cow's Milk. :twisted:

Back