Guitar for a newbie?

irishblue

I'm relatively new to guitar playing. Looking for a first electric guitar. My budget's around $400-500+ for the guitar and amp. I read through a couple of the reviews here and am considering the Ibanez Jumpstart Package or the Ibanez SA120. The package seems like an easy bundle since everything is in. If I should get the SA120, which amps should I get? I'm quite clueless about amps. Is the Marshall MS-2 or MS-4 Micro any good? Or maybe a Laney HCM10?

Or do you guys have any guitars in that price range to recommend?

PS: Are the prices listed on the sweelee website already "discounted"? As they have a cancelled U.P. and another discount price on the top.

For your budget, the jumpstarts are good enough...

And don't bother with the marshall microstacks. And don't bother with the Laney HCM10s.

If you can spare abt $150 more, you should consider getting a guitar and a Roland microcube instead of the jumpstart. Or get a nice 2nd amp on Luther. I'm sure you have friends who know their gear.

!?!

Woot!?! $400-$500 can get an Ibanez RG321 frm Swee Lee. But thats jus axe alone.

Axe w amp? Maybe u can buy starter kit.

PS: Are the prices listed on the sweelee website already "discounted"? As they have a cancelled U.P. and another discount price on the top.

I'm not sure if it's set in stone, but it'll help if you talk to the right people in Sweelee if you're making a purchase. Ya know, there are variations... 8)

avoid the Marshall MS-2/ 4 if you are relying on it if this is your first electric. i bought them for momento's sake, yes they are pleasant but they can't match an actual plug-in amp for sure.

the Roland CUBE 15 is highly recommended for starters.

Hmm

Don't needa worri, Swee Lee all year round 20% discount. I wanted to get the RG321. UP is $600 den i ask if got discount, den they say 20%.

So I onli hafta pay $480 liddat. But of cuz I din buy la.

subversion said:
avoid the Marshall MS-2/ 4 if you are relying on it if this is your first electric. i bought them for momento's sake, yes they are pleasant but they can't match an actual plug-in amp for sure.

the Roland CUBE 15 is highly recommended for starters.

yeha DON"T waste your money on those "toy" amps..they were my 1st amp , the tone gets stale after awhile and it sucks the motivation to play out of you. Even more irritating when you move around and the cables pull the amps to a crash ( ms 4 satck more prone ).

Go for the SA120... I heard that the line6 spider2 15W is good... got lots of tone to play with... But I am using a Marshall CDR15 (15W) amp...

The Marshall is a pretty decent... Gain wise a bit too fuzzy, when using with my strat copy... must be the guitar... haha... there is no multi effects but it has basic mid chorus and treble and is more than loud enough for individual room practise. Oh the reverb is nice too... there is this fdd that cranks up the amp... good for dirty distortion...

i have a different opinion on the Marshall MG15, if that's the amp being mentioned here. it seriously needs more bass, but the mini stack version (pic below) sounds more pleasant than the aforementioned amp, the reason i bought one...
marshallmg15ministack.jpg

thanks for all the comments guys!
I saw some prices on the other thread...
SA120 ~ $470
Roland Cube ~ $157 (not sure if this is before discount)

but assuming both prices are before discount, and if i manage to talk to the right ppl lol... shld still fall within budget :p
I shall pop by at sweelee and take a look.

Haha

Irishblue: All the best :) Hope u'll find the right axe for urself

Anep: Bo pian la.. nowadays people getting richer, we're jus the poor side of life :)

irishblue said:
thanks for all the comments guys!
I saw some prices on the other thread...
SA120 ~ $470
Roland Cube ~ $157 (not sure if this is before discount)

but assuming both prices are before discount, and if i manage to talk to the right ppl lol... shld still fall within budget :p
I shall pop by at sweelee and take a look.

think the cube is after le....

Back