GSnap Pitch Correction

ankursamtaney

Although I've read up a lot about auto tune and melodyne, i've never really used any pitch correction plug ins ever. Was looking for some free stuff to try just for fun, and found GSnap.

Has anyone here ever tried it, and if so, found it any good? Or would using it ruin my impression of pitch correction softwares altogether?

I know youtube would have loads of videos on all of these, but can't access from work and i dont log on from home.

If you need to know -- i used to use Acid Pro 7, but have only recently started using Ableton (ver 6, i think) but don't find it as userfriendly as Acid, although i love the FX on it.

I do use their Gtune though heheh. I have it, if you're after the effect of err Cher? T Pain? otherwise i think it'll still take you to sing it correctly to trigger off the right pitch and it's kinda unstable/unpredictable. esp the setting of the scale

I just bought Melodyne essential. First thing I do is not pitch correction, but to fool around for my music arrangement.:p

I have a soft synth that use Melodyne engine to do pitch and time modulation. The result is quite impressive so I bought Melodyne.

I finally downloaded GSnap the other day. Yes, it's awfully unpredictable. It does the Cher and T-Pain effect well but not quite the way you want it to but rather, the way it feels like. I'm sure it would do better in MIDI mode, but I'm not big on MIDI and dont get too much into it.

Yea, it does have a scale thing.. maybe if i set that accurately, it would help. The modes are a good thing, BUT -- what "key" would I be in if i had a song doing D9, A7, D9, C9. That gets tricky, coz it's neither G, nor D.

Will look into videos and demos of Melodyne and Auto tune soon once I get a real internet connection at home (Singtel's USB stick sucks!!)

Thanks.

ankursamtaney : the other alternative if you have any plans to change DAW is Cubase 5's Variaudio and i believe it's got its own VST3 autotuner, so that's like getting both antares autotune + melodyne in one.

Have never used Cubase, but am keen on trying it out. Wanna really lay my hands on two - Cubase and Studio One which I hear is pretty neat too. But yea, might try Cubase LE (the bundled one with some interface sometime) and if comfortable, may consider getting the full thing.

Just curious: No way of using Cubase's VST in my existing DAWs? (if I'm able to source the .dll from someone)

ankursamtaney : i think only Cubase 5 has VariAudio. cos I have cubase LE myself from my zoom r16 audio interface.

not sure bout the cross daw platform vst support myself. you can try your LE import to your other DAW.

Cubase 5 variaudo seem to work like melodyne. Cubase 5 is not very expensive as you plan to buy the full suite(last ver used to command 4 digi). Note, the singer need to sing well in the first. The best they can sing. Orelse they are a lot of artificial generated. If like fixing a big hole with little small pranks. Of cos, like it or not is up to you.

It depends a lot on the type of music you are making. We have a synthpop / trance duo and my singer is usually spot on, but we use GSnap or Kerovee when we want a special effect, combined with lots of reverb, delay, even flanging. Usually a lot is happening in the music, and the voice becomes one of the instruments.
Wouldn't try it for acoustic / singer-songwriter music or rock.

Back