Fulltone OCD

niteblade

Fulltone OCD v3
fulltone%20OCD.jpg

The OCD is an overdrive/distortion pedal that offers you a rather unique sound. its not quite a tubescreamer or a rat.
its probably halfway between a overdrive & distortion sonically. not too smooth yet not too gritty

Build/ features
built like a tank. nice big blue LED along with fulltone's ever reliable footswitch

In use
The OCD produces alot of bottom end which might appeal to some and be a turn off to some.When played at low gain. its has an amazing amount of clarity and punch.Once you start to turn the gain up. the tone slowly thickens and you get a thick creamy yet crunchy distortion
The OCD can go pretty hi-gain; more of rock rather than metal tones though

in lp mode, the pedal sounds slightly milder
in hp mode, mids are more pronouced and its slightly more aggresive

at 12oclock, the tone knob is neutral
turning it clockwise would add more mids to your sound while turning it anti clockwise would compress your sound

tonally the OCD would be closest to a marshall. Think crunchbox or rutt; in that ballpark abeit much darker sounding
the OCD is a pretty darn good gain booster but its definately more then capable as a standalone OD unit.

Having tried them on various amps (both solid state and tube)
the OCD definately sounds much better on tube amps. more saturation and clarity

ps. i run my OCD on 18v

Gear used:
• Guitars: gibson sg special, epiphone iommi sg, schecter omen 6
• Effects: OCD, sahasrara OD, crunchbox, dd-20, tu-2, RC booster
• Amps: epiphone so-cal 50h, epiphone triggerman 100h dsp, vox ad30vt, randall rx15, voxac15 & 30

Final say:

I use the OCD with my gain at around 8clock to boost my rhythm drive. it helps to add that sparkly bit of cutting edge and bassy growl without altering my tone too much
This pedal is really LOUD too. its volume's unity level with the amp is around 9oclock

the OCD works well for me in my band (rhythm guitar) and for my genre of music (rock, powerpop and blues)

A low-medium gain pedal that you'll either love or hate imo

rating 90%

dynamics
very good booster
bassy
loud

Dislikes:
i cant think of anything really
dynamics - if you cant play cleanly its pretty obvious

-----------

hey guys! this is my first review so it might not be that good. however it does give insights on what a OCD does roughly

do add to my rep points if you found this review useful :D

Last edited:
I found the OCD (v3) excessively dark sounding and had the tone turned near max, plus using that brighter sounding mode, in order to get an acceptable tone that didn't mud up.

Which OCD did you use btw.

hey shred, what type of guitar and amp were u using?
i tried this pedal at ebenex the other day and wasnt impressed as well, largely because of the marshall mg. just sounded like every other thing through an mg.
for a boutique pedal to be muddy... and yet transparent. could it be the guitar u used?

I found the OCD (v3) excessively dark sounding and had the tone turned near max, plus using that brighter sounding mode, in order to get an acceptable tone that didn't mud up.

Which OCD did you use btw.

i sorta like the dark sounding-ness

heh im using a v3 run on 18 volts

i feel that theres a difference when im using the huge marshalls or epi's at scape studios as compared to my small bedroom amp

anyone who likes the OCD here care to give their perspective?

Last edited:
hey shred, what type of guitar and amp were u using?
i tried this pedal at ebenex the other day and wasnt impressed as well, largely because of the marshall mg. just sounded like every other thing through an mg.
for a boutique pedal to be muddy... and yet transparent. could it be the guitar u used?

A Vox AC15. And I was using my USACG.

The OCD didn't strike me as being anything... special, so to speak, compared to a Blackstone I was sort of a/b-ing.

I think on brighter amps - sure, why not, if you want the marshal vibe.

I never thought the OCD was transparent - maybe the term means something else to me?

re:

just to add my $0.02 worth to this review:

i have an OCD v3. i use it with a les paul into a variety of solid state amps.
i have the tone knob turned all the way up and the gain is never past 12 o clock. at gain levels above that, it becomes creamy but muddy.

i would agree with the review. it's good for getting the gritty, crunch for rythym work. I owned a DS-1, rust driver, ts808 and the OCD comes up tops for its tone and the variety of tones you get out of it by tweaking the gain knob and the hp/lp switch.

I would imagine this pedal would work better with single coils though

I have used v1 and v3 OCDs.

I agree with taypeng that the v3 works better with single coils cos its too bassy. Made my PRS and Gretsch sound muddy and muffled.

The same guitars sound wonderful when played through a v1 OCD.

i like it, its a different beast from my trusty DD.

but anyone else find gain unusable and weird from past 1'o clock?

re:

i like it, its a different beast from my trusty DD.

but anyone else find gain unusable and weird from past 1'o clock?

bro, thats the OCD i traded with you right haha..theres a huge range of gain that you get from the pedal..but gotta agree btw 3 - 5pm its just sounds like mush. What guitar and amp are you playing it thru?

The gain for my OCD is usually at 3 o'clock. I also use another mild overdrive to push it further sometimes. But that's a version 1 OCD.

Agree that v3 OCD sounds muddy with gain past mid point.

Mike Fuller used to have a .pdf on his products page that detailed the differences between OCDs. It's possible to 'reverse' a v3 to a v2 and vice versa if one wishes.

ya man, thanks taypeng. wonderful pedal.

strat alder/tonerider surfari into a SS crate.

will try out with my friends fender hot rod soon :p hope u enjoying ur dd

Back