Electric guitar setup: Step by Step

Hi KC

I have a Samick electric guitar bought AGES ago when I was in my early teens. I also stopped playing a quite while back when my amp busted and some of the guitar parts rusted due to my cursed sweaty palms. I'm not really good guitar player, having picked it up for fun, only had beginners classes, learnt most of what I know online and never performed publicly or took part in a band.

Honestly I have been quite clueless and ignorant all this while about the importance of guitar servicing. I'm wondering if you do (or if it is required at all to) replace the pickup, bridge, etc. I read through your blog mentioned in your previous post with great interest about guitar setup. On top of doing the set up mentioned in the blog, I don't know if the wiring in the guitar also requires some looking into, I hope I will be able to get some help in reviving my old guitar. Also approximately how much would I be charged for it?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could look at replacing your saddles to a set of Graphtech saddles. These saddles don't sound metallic and open up the midrange of your guitar. Check them out here: http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=3

A set of these saddles cost $68 and a setup would be around $80 - $100. I recommended a saddle change because your saddle screws look rusted and need to be replaced anyway. Might as well take the opportunity to upgrade. It's entirely up to you of course.

As for electronics work, the pots might be a bit noisy or 'stuck' and might need replacing. Pot replacement is $20 per pot. Total overhaul of the electronics is around $80 - $100.

KC

Back