Early Christmas present

xklusivly4u

Ever since I started playing electric guitar, I never look at Fender. I hate single coils and hate Fender headstock and always think that they are ugly. Until a friend of mine let me play his Fender American Standard and I felt that neck is very comfortable and sounds great. Then someone from his forum suggested that I am missing a single coil in my arsenal. So here we go! American Standard in chrome red.

Since I like the neck and over all feel of the guitar but my music taste has always been in metal territory although quite slow down now, I am thinking to change the bridge pickup to single coil size high output humbucker such as Dimarzio Super Distortion/tone zone etc. I intend to use bridge pickup for overdrive/distortions and leave two single coils for clean.

So which high output pickup would you recommend for a strat?

Strat021.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

Last edited:
^^ very nice strat..mmmm.. yes I am thinking Duncan's Hot Rails as well. No intention to turn it into a metal machine but something hot enough to get versatility in rehearsal sessions. I believe changing bridge pickup alone will not wash away tone of the other two?

How about a Seymour Duncan YJM Fury pickup? A noiseless single coil pickup...Yngwie uses it now...I have it for sale and its meant for the bridge position...its totally unused :) PM me for more details if keen!

May I add if changing the bridge position to a humbucker, the quack at the 4th position (mid + bridge) might not be pronounced when compared to 2 single coils in the mid + bridge position..

Last edited:
How about a Seymour Duncan YJM Fury pickup? A noiseless single coil pickup...Yngwie uses it now...I have it for sale and its meant for the bridge position...its totally unused :) PM me for more details if keen!

May I add if changing the bridge position to a humbucker, the quack at the 4th position (mid + bridge) might not be pronounced when compared to 2 single coils in the mid + bridge position..

thanks for the offer. I am not in Singapore at the moment and I prefer to deal this type of things locally.

xklusivly4u: Oh sorry about that, didn't see ur location :p

bf0502tr: Well according to the Duncan website, its moderate output...:)

Since you have an American Standard, the body might already be routed for a humbucker in the bridge (and maybe, even the neck). So why not change the pickguard and get a full-sized humbucker instead? A good 'not so hot but still quite hot' pickup would be the Air Zone, a lower output version of the Tone Zone.

Last edited:
i'm using an air zone in my bridge. i like it cause it does have a unique voicing to it when compared to PAFs type of humbuckers.

Since you have an American Standard, the body might already be routed for a humbucker in the bridge (and maybe, even the neck). So why not change the pickguard and get a full-sized humbucker instead? A good 'not so hot but still quite hot' pickup would be the Air Zone, a lower output version of the Tone Zone.

thanks for the info. Its good to know that American Standards are pre-routed for humbuckers.

Back