Do you think drugs help creativity?

judaspiss

I was having a discussion with a friend last night. We were debating about the use of drugs as fuel to enchance creativity, mainly in songwritings. It doesn't have to be hard drugs, basically any form of mind altering substances, even alcohol. So, does being high help us in being more creative?

Alcohol just make you high and do crazy stuff while performing, i think. But it doesn't boost creativity... No drugs boost creativity, they only destroy it.

If someone takes drugs to write better songs, I would look down on him. It's the same with steroids. It'll give you a temporal boost, and then bring you crashing down back to earth with all the aftereffects.

Pier.

well drugs can make you stupid, which is good if you're going for the stupid look. but nope, i'd say drugs don't enhance creativity at all.

Nope, and it's against to law to abuse drugs. Many musicians out there don't write songs under drug/influence alcohol, but they write about their abuse and struggles with those substances. eg. GN'R Nightrain and Mr Brownstone, Metallica's frantic and so on...

a lot of media have hyped this up before, and seriously it would be impossible for you to verify unless you have abused drugs for songwriting purposes before.

remember that a lot of things u watch on TV about rock bands struggling, eating their shirts to keep them alive... take it with a pinch of salt. everybody loves a rags to riches story, and that's how the media wants to hype the bands to give them authencity.

the fact is you can't really prove them wrong either, which makes such topics tricky to begin with.

this is a very subjective topic. and i'd rather be 'hush-hush' abt my views. but it will definitely be a sad thing if musicians have to rely solely on drugs/chemicals/substances to trigger their creativity.

here is an excerpt from a Guitar Player interview with Eric Clapton. there is mention of "A lot of your early work was accompanied by drug use..."

Q:What, if anything, do you feel drugs did for your music?

A: In my experience, drugs provided a kind of spiritual short circuitry. They quickly took me to places that I probably ought to have taken the time to work towards in other ways. But when the drugs had worn off, I hadn't made any of the progress that I'd thought I'd made. So I'm afraid the answer would have to be that I don't think there is a valid place for drugs in any aspect of one's life.

oh well, lets keep drugs and creativity two totally unrelated things... though i must try weed once in my life..

well..you hang for weed.... E or any drug thats illegal..
so think carefully people.

If you need drugs to be creative... then i think you just arent.

I'm sure lsd does help. It takes you on a psychadelic trip, no joke, though the quality of the songs you churn out from your acid trip might vary alot. Dunno about others though :?

Amphetamines

Singapore doesnt allow drugs because it tells us that its bad. But then they allow cigarettes which has been proven to be more addictive than heroin.
Alcohol releases inhibitions and therefore what we percieve as creativity is actually ourselves digging deeper, but the booze holds the key to the lock inside so to speak.
Weed- a natural herb used by ancient people as a form of recreation and even medicinal properties. It is also commonly used in rituals. The monks in Kathmandu uses a certain herb known as Kathmandu temple kiff which is found to have similar properties to cannabis. Weed or marijuana was first smoked before tabacco. The active compound in marijuana is THC, which science is still researching on its qualities; bad and good.

Holland legalise it and the number of teens using it dropped by a considerable amount cos it wasnt longer a cool banned substance. Instead K and other designer drugs went up.
Canada use it as a medicine to increase the appetite of cancer patients after chemotherapy.
Heroin - a derivative of the poppy plant chemically made. BAD BAD BAD
K or Ketamine - used on animals

As with the topic of whether drugs increases creativity, its up to the individual I believe, whatever works for him works for him. Its a lifestyle choice as you choose to smoke or drink or have premarital sex.

In the genetic world, the PCR or polymerase chain reaction machine, one that duplicates DNA was conjured up after the inventor admitted to having an acid trip or LSD flashback. He later won the Nobel Prize.

Rock and roll culture has always been associated with drugs whether we like it or not,and some have died in our generation. So more importantly is that we must be responsible towards ourselves and to the people around us.

Drugs, speed, acid, weed, has taken away lots of great musician either by death or their playing career away. Pills popping was widely used in the 60's as a way to keep musician awake to finished long hours of studio recording. I just heard the radio documentary on BBC on Keith Moon was so stoned when he recorded the song Subsitute with The Who , he accused Pete Townsend of using another drummer as he could not remember he played on that song.

Singapore laws on drugs is very very strict, lots of old 70,s rocker does not even do drugs here now. Even when you take any form of drugs aboard other countries and if you are unlucky when they does a random urine check and tested positive for drugs , you will be fine or jail or both.

My advice to all you young friends is best not to try any form of drugs , it is not worth the risk. I can tell from experience at that moment anything you play on your guitar will sound fabulous but can you remember what you played after the drugs effect wears off

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

The greatest quote is this - The Beatles were on drugs and they wrote our hits. Jimi Hendrix was on drugs when he wrote our hits. It's nothing to look down on. Sooner or later, humans will be relying on chemicals to enhance their performance, their minds. It'll become a necessity in time to come.

... Nevermind. I guess I've read too much science fiction.

see, I think drugs have done some *good* things for us, I really do.
And if you don’t believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a
Favor: go home tonight and take all your albums, all your tapes, and all
Your cd’s and burn em’. cause you know what? the musicians who’ve made
All that great music that’s enhanced your lives throughout the years...
Rrrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin high on drugs.’

Tool - third eye

Back