Crate: Power Block

the advantage of the PB's single channel application is that when one plays clean, one still has the gain knob for tonal expansion. majority of the other amps do not offer a gain option in the clean channel...

...the new Ibanez TBX amp is an exception 8)

gain_control.jpg

hey just asking. do you need a cabinet for the powerblock? or can it just stand alone? as in, are there speakers built into it?[/quote]

the official CRATE dealer is Davis GMC but the Power Block is discontinued... if you wan a simple portable head, do consider Epiphone's Valve Jr.

sub: guess i have to disagree on the portablility. small the epiphone valve junior maybe, it's MUCH heavier compared to Crate PB.. portable wise, maybe the MG15 microstack? just bring the head alone :)

the Valve Jr is still within the portable limits, not as heavy as the regular heads. yes the Power Block wins hands down in this dept.

unlike the Marshall mini stack's head, the Valve Jr allows for various cab extension which is a definite plus. you can plug it into a demure single driver cab of hear it bark through a 4x12...

:confused:epiphone valve jr?which one is the best if i'm using boss gt8?or do u guys have any suggestion which head should i buy with budget around sgd500..

Last edited:
wow..so cool meh....got no eq..it means that the sound is depending on ur fx eq..am i rite?n it really can drive the cabinet wif only 5watt?..how bout the price?and i don't really understand bout the "class A" stuff n single ended circuitry that they talking bout.. :???:

Last edited:
aminorama: there are 3 ways to eq this valve junior: guitar tone knob, fx pedal, or mod it! i guess a graphic EQ would be most convenient here (which is also the method that i did not tried :) ). Wattage is not the problem driving those big cabinets. and dun worry about those Class A SE stuff cos ultimately, it's the sound you will be going after. if you are somewhat of a tech snob like me, wiki :)

*you can always chain up an EQ pedal in your set-up, no problem.

*you won't believe the 5W performance hooked up to the 4X12- it's loud & commanding enough for small venues. there's very little inherent drive coming from the amp, you have max the volume for a bit of crunch, this amp wasn't made to be driven by default. it does better with drive/ distortion pedals hooked up to it.

yea...cool..i'm starting to like it:) thanks 4 the explanation..so i dun have to worry bout how to eq this amp,and yet..it give us the chance to create our own sound rite?..so where can i get it n what is the price?

Last edited:
Valve Jr head: $401 (list)

Valve Jr combo: $481 (list)

available at swee lee. i'm in the midst of doing a review on this one, wouldn't wanna indulge in details here, it's a Power Block thread anyway...

yes, the Valve Jr head/ combo gives the user one of the most neutral base tones for general expansion; it's up to you to sculpture :cool:

Back