Could you reccomend a Delay Pedal? Dunno how to tell wat a good delay pedal should be

looking for a delay pedal. budget is arnd 150 to 200. also, wat are the characteristics of a good delay pedal? i mean, i know wat i want in a distortion pedal, but wat abt a delay pedal? thanks in advance :)

Also using a classic ibz tube mfx and its delay is indescribable but its behaving kind of weird & temperamental lately,
So bought a Dano electra delay(vintage metal case one not the newer plastic case) for a temp replacement.. lush and quite ok

Can I get a rough estimate how much you guys would pay for an old DD3 (Made in Jepon)? good clean condition complete with box and papers considering to put it up for sale.. : )

Last edited:
Hmm how to explain in words?
As for me, it got to be able to be adjusted and sound as subtle as possible..
A very nice sound unlike artificial echo echo echo efx, am I making sense here..? haha

Hmm i suppose you want to get a delay pedal, but is not sure exactly what it does?
basically a delay pedal is like an echo that repeats your guitar's sound out of the amp. check out some delay clips on youtube.. delays can have several uses.

The most common way to use a delay pedal is to thicken your guitar solos. when soloing, it leaves a nice trail which helps you stand out in the mix. (listen to some john petrucci for example of great solo delay sound)

Other ways would be to create effects/ ambience like how The Edge does it for U2 stuff. (check out Where The Streets Have No Name by U2)

While getting the pedal itself, a few things to consider would be
1. does it have a tap tempo? if you need your delay to be in sync with the drums and to be easily changed on the fly, a tap tempo is a must. if you leave it on all the time for a thickening effect, you most prob will do fine with just a time knob. its all about what you need in the first place.

2. do you want a darker or brighter sounding delay? digital delays will sound brighter or "cuts" through more than analog delays. but people also love the dark mushy sound of analog delays which are warm and thick. Do a search on digital delays vs analog delays.

That said, if you are unsure of what you want, a good starter will be a boss DD7, imho the best delay for covering all grounds. has a tap tempo and 40sec looper too, as well as both analog and digital delay sounds.

Depends on what you want to sound like. Do you want thick lush solos like David Gilmour? Want epic rhythmic delays like the Edge of U2? Or slapback delay for rockabilly type sounds. Or, for me my personal favourite and how I use delay, for ambient and cathedral like delay like Eric Johnson.

Characteristics I personally look out for while choosing a delay is how the note decays. Some repeats degrade darker and darker as each repeat goes by, which is a characteristic of some Bucket Brigade analog delay. I prefer delays that sound clear, not bright and pristine, but clear and warm. Also the repeats should have minimum distortion to them. Also, modulation is a MUST for my delay sounds. The modulation creates a tape like warble you get in old echoplex units so you hear a subtle chorusing that is very very musical and pleasing when it comes to ambient like delays.

That said I just described the EHX Deluxe Memory Man, which is my favourite delay of all time. The Skreddy Echo can't come close IMO..

Get a delay that doesn't clip, does not degrade your sound too much, and has the most pleasant repeats to your ears.

A really cheap and good delay pedal is the Ibanez DE-7. Simple, good tone and efficient.
I personally use a DOD DFX91 for 4 years but unfortunately its not in production.

Back