change of pickups

thelightup

Hey guys!

Ive been using a Jet King 4 for about half a year now. Im rather unsatisfied with how it sounds when i crank up the distortion, so ive been considering changing the pickups.

i want something that handles distortion well (i use a boss OS2) while still giving a nice clean tone when i need one. any suggestions?

this topic has been brought up many times recently go tru the search function and you should be able to find some info, anw what amp are you using? the amp plays a rather important role, changing pickups might not solve the problem though..

+1 to above. the amp is often the overlooked consideration when it comes to pickup swaps.
happy-smiley-589.gif

honestly im no good at describing tone with words but i'll try my best to lay it out for you in terms of how i felt after i swapped my pups
for me i feel that pickups = more characteristic,something more personal or define should i say..anyway just think of changing pups as a way of adjusting the lows,hi,mids
anyway for starters what kinda stuff do you play? pick up configuration ? :eek:

hahah sorry for bringing up a topic like this again but ive read through a few posts and i guess im just pretty noob. :p

yeah so i use a laney lg12 for practice, but i normally use a larger marshall for jamming and performances. i think it sounds much much better through the marshall, but maybe my expectations of the sound i wanna get are too high.

i've been considering dimarzio humbuckers though, because i normally play rock. and dabble in blues and metal.

So you want a better sound through the LG12? Don't bother, because its your jamming and gig sound that matters more IMHO. If you're satisfied with the way you sound on stage, it isn't worth upgrading your pickups. Or else, can you tell us exactly why you're dissatisfied (eg its too muddy/pickups can't handle higher gain settings/too trebly etc)

if i were you, i'd consider the pickup's performance/ character & disregard the brand name. but if DiMarzio is your thing, by all means, go ahead.

^+1 to sub, i believe you're referring to Teslas? Hahaha. I personally love the Plasma IIIs, not because they sound 'better' than DiMarzios (better is a subjective thing no?), but because they provide the kind of tone and voicing i like.

hi there bros..
sorry i hijacked ur thread..
i just obtain a strat(im not a strat guy,my first strat and i kinda like it)
but im not okay with the bridge PUP.its a H-S-S strat.
issit possible for me to install a p90s pickup for the bridge?will it fit?

hi there bros..
sorry i hijacked ur thread..
i just obtain a strat(im not a strat guy,my first strat and i kinda like it)
but im not okay with the bridge PUP.its a H-S-S strat.
issit possible for me to install a p90s pickup for the bridge?will it fit?
im not too sure on that but you might wna take down the measurements before purchasing anything

Back