Carl Martin Red Repeats

seekz

Just wondering if this is an analog pedal, because its too cheap to be one dont ya think ?

Hi, I've checked out the website and all, they keep saying that the pedal is "simliar" to some vintage analog echo, but never claim that it "IS" analog. So unless i get to open one up... Hehehe. I still wont know what it it.

Any body got any feedback on this one?

Its a good analog delay which I sold away.

But where delay is concerned, imo analog is not necessarily always better than digital. It also depends on individual sound preference.

It sounds okay to me, ShredCow tried at the store before, he didn't like it, I thought there were some applications for it, though I prefer digital delays just for the length.

Yeap. Wasn't blown away by it. Great price for the features though.

Was hoping the Tone control worked a little better. I have a Retroman KopyKat echo that does the Tone control RIGHT.

Remember to consider the aesthetics of the pedal before buying. It was the main reason why I sold mine away...

(1) Space sucking odd shape.
(2) Soft plastic casing with easily chipped/scratched paint.
(3) 4 tiny screwed on rubber leggings elevating the pedals make it difficult to velcro the pedal to a board. I had to paste some rubber material to add thickness to the velcros.
(4) Large chicken head knobs that turn easily when my shoes brush lightly against them - dramatic change in delay settings that could mess up your gig. Wise to put it at the top of the pedal board.

Sad that a nice sounding delay pedal could have such poorly designed casing. It looked as if a guitar techie designed the sound and internal circuits but the job of designing the casing was left to a non-guitar player.

Purple: heh, if the red repeat is a true analog delay and with a tone control. That wud be pretty funny

I'm confused. So is it analog or not? LoL.

never seen any 600ms ANALOG delay at that price before thats just my main concern.

Nowhere on the Carl Martin site does it say it's an analog delay. It only mentions that it can "oscillate just like an old analog delay".

The current consumption is 40mA, according to the manual. Which is more characteristic of a digital delay. For comparison, Maxon's AD9 takes 19mA and the ever popular Boss DM2 takes 11mA. The long delay time and tone knob also points to digital delay characteristics.

I highly doubt it's an analog delay.

EDIT: The admin on the Carl Martin forums on their site says that the delays on that pedal are not analog. Cased closed :D

I highly doubt it's an analog delay.

EDIT: The admin on the Carl Martin forums on their site says that the delays on that pedal are not analog. Cased closed :D

Hmm... So Carl Martin did not exactly claim the Red Repeat is analog. Neither did it correct direct claims by others that the pedal is analog. See what 3rd party comments they have pasted on their website's reviews page @ http://www.carlmartin.com/reviews.htm:-

VINTAGE GUITAR (USA) MAY 2006 Vintage Series

"Carl Martin has just released a new series of budget friendly pedals named the “Vintage Series” and includes the Crush Zone (high gain overdrive), Surf Trem (tremolo) and the Red Repeat (analog delay), rest assured these pedals are not you typical low quality cookie cutter overseas affair, they feature 100% Carl Martin designed and extensively tested circuits."

"Next up was the Red Repeater analog delay, which also proved to offer a quality effect without any noticeable added noise or coloration of the natural tone..."

in the effect market, if the delay is purely analog path or using bbd, it will definitely be a selling point and the company will definitely push it as main character of the pedal. Using just analog and no other info on what make it analog to them, there be lotsa grey area within, imho

To a certain extend, there cud be some analog circuit within with some digital processing perhaps. Cud be like the pigtronix echolution, combination of analog/digital to serve its purpose. There was a big hoohaa with it initially also, over at hc efx forum

He calls it a hybrid. The main signal is kept purely analog, and the delayed signals are generated digitally. Then they are mixed back together.

To me this just means digital delay, and if i'm not wrong, has been the way many digital delays have always been made.

in the words of broAYbro, that wud be pan asian look!

heh, anyway, imho, the next useful mod for a digital delay to make it as anarog, shud be an additional knob to dial in hiss/white noise that only affect the repeats. Plus the tone knob, power anarog like power metale!

The DE7 has that feature what. and i love it...

Thanx for clearing this up...

They purposely set their delay time to 600ms, its roughly the timing of 2-3 BBD chips. So, its DEFINTELY not analog at this price. But extremely misleading. rather buy a PBnJ.

I think regardless hybrid or not, digital delays have to quantize the signal to be processed, so in that sense, whatever cock analog hybridisation is also pointless.

Not that I'm a firm supporter of analog delays, or a digital hater, just hate this kinda false marketing...

Back