Beginner electric guitar recommendation?

jus

From the standard value website I've shortlisted a few guitars that should be great for a beginner

1.Timbre SR200 Package
2.Swing Prism
3.Rally GL-400 Black
4.Squier Affnity Stratocaster
5.Rally GL-300 TA

Does anyone have experience with any of these guitars? I don't really have time to go down to the shop so asking you guys for your opinions. This guitar will replace my hand-me-down ibanez gio. (Maybe I should stickwith the gio? But it de-tunes really fast and the clean tones aren't to my liking either.)

As for my playing style, I like playing blues and nice clean tones are a must-have from the guitar.

I've got the Squier and I think its a really good guitar. It plays cleans and distortion quite well, but mine is the commonly seen California Series, not the Affinity. The California series comes with a humbucker at the bridge, so it gives me the flexibility to play anything I like :p

It's good for beginners, but my only gripe is that eventually you'll have to change the pick-ups sooner or later to get a much better sound, depending on what you like. But hey, at least it only involve changing the pups instead of buying a new guitar XD

It only retails for about $270, but it'll last you quite a long time. Plus, its Fender's little brother, so there is at least a lot more quality control

1.Timbre SR200 Package
2.Swing Prism(Beginner's axe? :???:)
3.Rally GL-400 Black
4.Squier Affnity Stratocaster
5.Rally GL-300 TA

anyway ill vote for the rally les paul copies.
but the squire california series is good also.
the stock pups are not bad for its price.proud to own one :mrgreen:

how long have u had the GIO? its no point getting something else thats of the same calibre. might as well save alittle more and get a decent mid range guitar. or just stick with the GIO.
honestly, with those other guitars it might be hard to get a nice clean tone as well... u really need a decent amp too, not just the guitar or its pickups (if you're taking about the sound u get).
as for Squiers having beter QC because they're under fender? i dont really think so personally...not from what i've tried before.... randomly u'd get a really good one, else its just mediocre... unlike squiers from the 80s era. haha

just my 2cents from personal exp.... hope this helps

How about Yamaha 112J? I've had that for a while and the feel is good for a beginner's guitar.

Actually, the Swing Prism isn't a beginner's guitar. Check out the price... $1K or somewhere around there. It's a more intermediate to higher end instrument considering the quality and what features it has.

There's the Smash S2 at Standard Value or SV Guitars (Smash is a budget brand by Swing) and it's been getting some really good reviews. You could try that too.

BUT I agree with I_M_Ken. The guitar isn't the only determining factor in tone. The amplifier really plays a major part. Perhaps you could try getting a better amplifier first (go and try a few), there are some 10-watters that actually have good clean tones as well.

Hey. I think your problem is the amp, 'cos with some tweaking I can get a pretty good clean tones with my Ibanez GSA-06 LTD (Don't bother googling this. I've tried. It's like a friggin' hidden guitar or something.).

I honestly think the fun about guitars is not buying stuff to make yourself sound like something, but to try to work what you have to your advantage.

Maybe you can tell us what equipment you're using, then some other more experienced guitarist might be able to help you.

I like the Squier guitar hehe. I got one as my 1st guitar and i like it alot... Relatively easy to play on it due to its thin neck hehe.

helpful comments :D thanks

Yes the swing prism isn't supposed to be on the list, I just copied the top-5 most popular list and forgot to omit it :rolleyes:

Yeah it might be my amp.. My amp is some ibanez amp (hand-me-down as well, don't know the model) that's super staticky sometimes when I plug my guitar in.

Was looking forward to getting a nice strat/les paul (love the shape and the sound) but I guess i need to work on my amp first.. Thanks a lot :)

PS: @teleplayer: alder body? is it superior to other woods?

Alder is more expensive than basswood and usually would not be found in guitars of the SR-200's price range. It is a brighter-sounding wood than basswood (basswood is 'darker' sounding) so it is more suitable for stratocaster copies. It can nail the Fender Stratocaster tones better than basswood can. But comparing the two woods, it's personal preference about which is better.

A friend of mine liked his SR-200 so much that he did a lot of heavy mods to it and even used it in church. It's a very nice guitar for the money I find, especially considering the use of alder which is uncommon in instruments of this price range.

Last edited:
Back