Are PRS guitars any good?

xklusivly4u

As the title says, are PRS USA guitars any good? They seem to be more costly than other brands. Are they versatile and suitable for beginners? How does it compare to others like Fender, Gibson etc?. Any thoughts or experience to share?

Last edited:
Ferrari term is apt... Some players seem to concur. More expensive than other brands? Which other brands?

Gibson?
Fender?

Yes. PRS Guitars are very good and are highly recommended.

They are not like buying a Ferrari as a first car unless you are a complete beginner who happens to have a Private Stock model (this doesn't happen round here much I imagine). They have a range of guitars to suit many diiferent levels of buyer from plain looking ones that can do just as good a job as the ones that look (and are) much more expensive.

Comparing feature for feature I'd say they were better value than a Gibson. Think about a Les Paul with custom options such as curly tops or any fancy appointments and these soon get more pricey than the PRS equivalent, with a much lower standard of build quality.

Well, what can I say. PRS is hard to fault. Awesome stuff, a real sight to behold with the price to match. I read somewhere that they only make limited amounts each year, so that might contribute to the price-tag.

I have played a Custom 22 and a 24. Never owned one, but have spent some time with them. They really are world-class crafted guitars; with almost flawless and amazingly precise details - inlays, hardware, paintwork, etc. Not forgetting the overall workmanship and the quality of the wood, etc.

The consistency is there too, and what you get really just exceeds your expectations. I'm a total fan of their guitars and their quality, but definitely not the price. I have a love affair with the Custom 24 after seeing Akerfeld from Opeth wanking the hell out of it. Just thinking about that flamed top, the sexy curves, those nice understated recessed knobs and bridge and the fallings birds. Dang!

Whatever I'm saying does not apply to the PRS SE and such. They are good but not on the same level. They're afterall meant to be a more affordable range.

Last edited:
One thing I'd like to say about PRS guitars... For a mass produced brand, they are damn well made. They cost a little bit more than having a custom guitar made by an experienced American luthier, but you don't have the hassle of the wait time. The only thing that bugs me about a PRS is the heel. Why can't they do a small heel? Haiz...

But concept and design-wise, don't make the common mistake of comparing them to a Gibson Les Paul. PRSs are based on a different platform. It's like taking the best bits of a Fender and a Gibson, and moulding them into a new unique design.

As a company, they have a wide selection of choices of formats. You'll be too confused as in which model to buy.

Vernplum is right. It's not like buying a Ferrari as your first car. It's like buying a Mercedes SL as your first car. The private stock custom orders would be a ferrari.

Oh, and PRSs hold their prices well too.

I guess it is down to personal preference. They're great guitars, that's for sure. They're of very high quality and workmanship, hence the price. And they're very popular so you can be sure they have wide appeal. You'd better try them first. Personally, I like them but I don't forsee myself ever being able to afford them.

Ahhh...

My baby here: http://gitbuddy.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/paul-reed-smith-20th-anniversary-custom-24/

imgp1971.jpg

In my opinion, 1 of the best guitar makers out there.... Consistency, quality and sound that's worth the money.

2PRS.jpg

PRS for beginners? Not exactly what you should be looking for. Their easily on the high end side along Gibson etc etc etc.. No doubt it really like getting a ferrari for your first car. It certainly awesomely crafted and sexy looking guitar which big names like Carlos Santana screams with.

Unless your really rich you might wanna consider getting a cheaper guitar like LTD's or other cheaper brands. If you do have a big budget Lowend PRS still cost around a grand. Your better off getting a Cheaper guitar with a more expensive amplifier instead.

omg gas!!!
lol.

if i were to have a PRS,

i would want it to be purplish black.

ok, i'm off topic.

Hey Prs are great guitars had the chance to play one or two. But i guess its really down to preference. I think Gibsons or the japanese vintage copies of LPs are great too but however i think that they sound different from Prs guitars. Its really the kinda tone that u want. Gibsons have a heavier and thicker sound to me as compared to the PRSs. However you might want to try the new SC 245 i heard that its suppose to replicate a vintage sound which is similar to the 60s gibsons.
Since u are thinking of spending such a huge amount y dont u check out ESP navigators, i heard really good things about them. But they are really expensive and r entirely hand made. So i guess u might wanna check that out. :) Havent had the luck to find one yet.

how come gibson gets to be considered high end? id think high end was stuff like ruokangas and huber or gustavsson.

Like what the hell is ruokangas and huber?
Their a high end brand cause Gibson is one of the guitar's industries biggest name. And their guitars easily cost 3-6k. And for any guitar with the brand of Gibson regardless of quality whatever is atleast 1k. If that isnt high end to you probably you dont understand the meaning of high end.

hahaha, u dont know the brands huber or ruokangas or gustavsson and u say i dont know what high end guitars are? noob.

and just because u think 1k is expensive doesnt mean that anything above 1k is high end. if u have got only 5k in your bank i suppose every damned car on the road is a super car la.

Back