Amp.

Plastic

So, I'm currently amp-less. Been looking around for an amp.

My budget's around ~1k. Things I play are mostly post rock, experimental stuff, some classic rock, maybe a little metal when I feel the urge to. Been looking at a few amps, but still quite undecided, so why not see what people here have to recommend.

Some details:
Not too loud, prefably >60 watts?
Can be all clean, I have pedals for distortion.
SS, tube as long as it sounds good.

Much appreciated. :-D

Plastic Amp...
he he he....

Best clean tube amps that take pedals well... imo... JTM45 or its cousin Fender Bassman.
Get a 2x12 combo of the either above and you will never need another clean amp ...ever!
Con =for bedroom, it's loud!!
Those small 5watt black hearts or Valve junior is nice but may need mods to improve...

SS ...Randalls known to take pedals well.

hope this helps...

My 15 watt Behringer GM102 seems to serve me well.

I saw at Ranking there's a stack selling at $300+. I forgot what's the name of the amp, seems decent.

But I would have to say I've had good experience with a Peavey Transtube amp.

For small amps, there is of course the Black heart amps and orange tiny terror which are readily available here.

For others, you can try the Egnater rebel or Blackstar HT5. There're raving reviews and some really great clips of the HT5 online now. Do check it out. But of course, for those two, you have to import them in yourself. ;)

I would have bought that if not for my current amp. :)

Ah thanks for the recommendations.

JTM 45, totally blown away when I tried it, amazing amp, but sadly a little over budget.

DSL401: Blackwood bring those in? I haven't seen one around, around how much would they cost?

Im gonna check out the Egnator and Blackstar, thanks alot. :D

yeah the testing room on the right used to have a dsl401. i cannot remember the price already. but i know it was very reasonable. the price tag was smacked right center of the amp

at 1k budget tends to be a bit limited. if you're ever looking for purposes of gigs or recording at the very least a 1x12 combo. you'd probably need to look at the second hand market. the fender hot rod deluxe isn't too popular here but a used one might fall below the price and is a great little amp that takes pedals well. some laney combos like the vc or lc30s go cheap used and are alright. i wouldn't dismiss a peavy classic 30 either. but seriously if you save up a bit more and get a ceriatone jtm45 combo...even with one speaker... that'll likely end your search for good. why compromise when a great solution is so close?

by the way
...without a sound is the second worst dinosaur jr. album heh

Yeah, with a 1k budget would be much of a problem.

I mean, I wouldn't mind saving up more for a jtm 45, but I'm in need of one currently. I'l probably need a month or 2 to save up for it, but the catch is here. I'm enlisting in March, and I'm afraid I won't put the amp to good use, and it'll just be collecting dust. So if I'm able to get it now, I would go for it, 100%.

Haha, but the album has the best artwork. :D

you never have to worry about an amp being under utilized if you are determined to play the heck out of it - at most, maybe so in the short run until your army schedule is less erratic. in any case good gear makes you work harder to play better. a great sounding clean amp entices you to play clean and hear every nuance, and not go overkill on the drive. practising clean is a great way to help you improve anyway.

in the long run, a good clean amp like a jtm45 will last you for life. you won't ever feel the need to change it because it's not good enough - you might want a different flavour, true, but it won't be because you think the amp's not cutting it in one way or another.

really, i think a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (1x12) or a DeVille (which is more common but more expensive, and available in 2x12 or 4x10 versions) would be within your reach. Both amps are good enough for any gig you can throw at it, though of course unmiced, the DeVille will sound "bigger" and have a more "3 dimensional" sound as it has additional speakers.

The Laney or the Peavy which I mentioned in previous posts should only be bought as a last resort and only unless you're really on a budget. While cheap, I wouldn't really recommend the Vox AC 15 / 30 CC series either as the workmanship is lacking, opening the chassis to change tubes is a nightmare and frankly, you either like the tonal qualities or you don't. They are also quite sensitive in relation to your other gear. Not the most pedal friendly of amps and frankly the Wharfdale speaker in the cheaper CC1 is noticeably tinny.

DSLs are absolutely rubbish clean, sorry. If you can say that amp sounds good clean you really haven't heard many amps - may I gently suggest you do some proper listening and comparisons with other similar amps before recommending these as there are far better options for the money. Bad projection, they don't take pedals well, and boast of no sparkle or depth whatsoever. a TSL, JVM or Vintage Modern have much better clean settings although once you hit that territory (and any older JCM800s, Plexis etc) you're gonna be way out of your budget.

on a final dinosaur jr note - generally an inverse correlation between the strength of their albums and the appeal of their artwork. you're living all over me is probably their best album and the artwork is abominable. the exception is probably where you been, which is likely their second best album (or at least the best place to introduce most people to the band), and has pretty awesome artwork to boot!

How about a fender frontman 25r?

I remember Goose being impressed by some pub player....and he was using some tiny fender frontman amp! Takes pedals well too.

I honestly feel tube amps are too loud for home use, i got into trouble even when using my blackheart or 10 w peavey ss combo at volume 3. Dad tells me to turn it down cos my 5 year old brother is sleeping.

Just save up while serving and after that you can have any amp you want....and you wont fear underutilising it either.

Yeah great points. I'd hold up and wait for the ceriatone sale. Saw your amp at Goose's place today, really nice! Might look into the Fender range aswell.

I've personally never tried the Marshall DSLs, but from what I heard, they don't really take pedals that nicely.

On the dinosaur jr note, my favorite album is " you're living all over me, " but the artwork still.. nothing beats without a sound :D

Appreciate the help, now time to wait it out.

PS: Darrell I thought you going to post about the best amp in the world. THE ARIA 5 WATT, CUSTOM FUZZ PEDAL!

Et.

Last edited:
I've always had issues with Marshalls and pedals. They seem to accentuate top end or too much mids which gives that harsh sound although i managed to tweak a JCM 900 to my liking.

Yeah, no marshalls for pedals unless if its a JTM or a JMP (vintage amp).

Haha yeah i love that aria....can i go poke holes in that teeny speaker for a broken speaker fuzz sound? and sell to noobs for a profit? :mrgreen:

Back