Alternative pickups for Jagmaster Guitar

phoenix

Hi, I've got myself a Jagmaster and am thinking of changing the pickups. Really want to get that thinny, twanging, clanking, Jaguar/Telecaster kinda sound which i think is only achievable with single coils. So any recommendations for other pickups that will get the same effect that will fit a Jagmaster?

you may not need to replace the pickups. just install a coil tap.

unless you don't like the sound of stock pickups....

I'm ok with the stock pickups, whats a coil tap? Is it the splitting of the pickup wires or something? Any ideas where i can get it done? Thanks.

Last edited:
Its a switch that allows you to split your humbucker into 'single coil' mode to achieve that single coil sound. A coil tap will take the place of either a vol / tone pot, functioning still as a volume or tone pot except with the added 'switch' option to split your humbuckers.

So does it mean that the 'split' pickup cannot be 'unsplit' after that? Again, any suggestions where to do it? Cos had bad experience with guitar shops techies before.... Thanks again for the help..

Phoenix, u just need to install a push-pull pot to do the splitting, reversible between humbucking and single-coil mode within seconds. The push-pull pot can be replaced at either the volume or tone pot.

I recommend going to Beez. He has the push-pull pot and can install for u for a very good price. :)

I'm using the bridge pickup with delay and reverb to add sparkle. IMO, I don't find jagmasters to be muddy sounding. They are still bright sounding although they have humbuckers. Must be the wood (newer ones use alder. mine's basswood)

Actually you can get that twang if you use bridge/neck pickup at the same time coupled with reverb.

Regarding the coil-tap, once installed you will have option to go from humbucker to single coil mode. You can go to Beez or Maestro to do it for you. They charge reasonably.

Back