ALL things regarding GUITAR, PICKUP, STRINGS

Lifehouse

The Guitar 101 Thread (2010 Edition)

Hi all, especially for starters. This will be a thread to talk about buying guitar for those with a limited budget and some general explainations on the electric guitar. I'm no expert, so kindly take everything with a pinch of salt. I will update this thread as much as I can. So PM me anything you think we could add here.

Headstock - A normal electric guitar will hold 6 tuner pegs either 6 in a line (seen on a Strat or Tele style guitar) or 3 + 3 (3 tuners on each side, like what you'll see on a Les Paul or SG or PRS). There are other variants, such as (4 + 2 on a Musicman guitar).

Tuning Machines - Also known as tuning head, they are basically gears that help to bring your individual strings to accurate pitch. Tighten the tuner will raise the pitch, loosening will lower the pitch. Popular gear ratios are 12:1, 14:1, 16:1, 18:1 and 20:1 though more precise models are also available. There also locking models that will lock the strings prevent it from slipping and hence going out of tune. These are very effective for fixed bridge guitars. Popular brands include Sperzels, Grovers, Schallers, Gotoh.

Nut - The nut is located at the top of the fretboard. For a 6 string guitar, it will have 6 groove to sit the strings and allow the individual strings to pass through from the bridge to the tuning peg. Nut can be composed of the following materials, bone, plastic, ebony, graphite (TUSQ) or metal alloy. The different materials will result in a difference in tone, such as an increase or decrease in bass and/or mid and/or treble.

Neck - Usually comes in 2 wood, maple or mahoghany. There are other varieties such as rosewood. The wood used will define the tone of the guitar. How the neck is joined to the body will decide the tonal outcome as well. There are 2 ways of joining a neck to the body. Set-neck or bolt on. Les Pauls, SGs are generally, set necks, meaning the necks are glues to the body. Strats, Teles and Superstrats (Ibanez RGs, Jackson Dinkys/DKs and the likes) are most often bolt on where the neck is bolted to the body with 3 or 4 bolts. Set neck guitars tend to have slightly more sustain than bolt on. Also when we refer to neck we generally do not refer to the fretboard.

Fingerboard - Often the fingerboard is referred to as the fretboard. They are normally made of either ebony, maple or rosewood. Ebony is very hard, smooth and fast feeling while having a bright, long sustaining tone. The wood does not lose moisture (dry up) easily and generally low on maintainence. Maple is dense hard and strong offering great sustain and stability while maintaining a bright tone. Rosewood is a hard and dense wood, has great clarity and individual note is articulated in tone. Smooth feeling but tends to lose moisture if not properly maintained.

Frets - Metal wires (Fret wires) that are place in the neck. Usually are hammered in with a piece of wooden block and chisel by a skilled luthier. Normal guitars will have 21, 22 or 24 frets. Materials of fretwires are usually nickel or stainless steel.

Pickups - Pickups are essentially microphones used to pickup the vibrations of the individual strings. There are two types of pickups - Single coils and humbuckers (Double coils). Pickups are responsible for picking up the vibrations of individual guitar strings and transmit to the amplifier which will amplify and shape your tone at the same time. Humbuckers has two single coils which serve to cancel the "hum" of the individual coils. A cover is sometimes placed on top of the pickups to reduce dirt and dust, but will also alter your tone. The perceived output of individual strings can be determined by adjusting the pole piece of the pickup.

Bridge - Often described as the most the saddles are small grooves where the individual strings sit. There are numerous bridge designs. Tune-O-Matic (TOM), hardtail, wrapover, Floyd Rose, Tremolo. I will update this part at a later date as it is essentially a topic on itself.

Body - Got your attention?? The shape determines how much attention you guys are going to get from the girls. :smt003 The two most popular shape is the Les Paul shape and the Strat style shape (Pic above). There are of course immensely popular alternatives such as the Doublecut, SG, PRS style, Superstrat (RGs/Soloist), and of course not forgetting the Telecaster. Generally, wood used on the body are either alder, ash, mahoghany. Other less common wood would be basswood, swamp ash, koa, walnut etc. Maple is often used as the top of the guitar for visually striking figuring while bringing some good high end to the guitar. Maple veneers do not add any tonal benefits to a guitar however, unlike a good maple cap.

Pickguard - Serves to protect the guitar from wood or finish damage in an area where strumming or intense picking tends to take action.

Volume Control - 0 for total silence. 10 for total mayhem on your neighbours. Adjust your amp's volume as well so you don't go deaf.

Tone Control - Lowering it will taper/lower the treble giving a more mellow tone. A very good way to decrease your treble on a very bright amplifier.

Toggle Switch - Selects the pickup or pickups combination to be activated. Eg: On a 3 way toggle, flipping towards you will select the neck pickup. In the middle, both the neck and bridge pickup will be activated. Flip away from you and you'd have activated the bridge pickup.

Output Jack - Finally, to 'plug' the guitar in to an amplifier some sort of Output Jack is used. By using a regular 1/4" male end plug on both ends of a three-wire cable, you can plug in to any compatible audio output, such as an amplifier or a mixing board.

Last edited:
"Normal guitars will have 21, 23 or 24 frets. Materials of fretwires are usually nickel or stainless steel." heh surely u meant 22 frets :p

here's a pic, might help a lil too :D
electric-guitar.jpg

Neck Joint Construction

Bolt-on neck - Body and neck joined using bolts
Start%20Honey%20Blonde%202002%20Back.JPG

bolton.gif

Set neck - Body and neck joined using glue, with neck extending a lil into the body(that lil bit of extension into the body is called a tennon)
*In the case of a set-thru guitar, the tennon extends till the end of the body,
joint.jpg

setneck.gif

Neck-thru-body - Neck extends till the end of the the guitar's body, with 'wings' glued on the sides.
neck%20thru%20back.jpg

thruneck.gif

:D

Guitars Pricing in a Glance

Extracted from reviews here and forum threads. All prices are estimated retail price (non discount and very likely might contain errors) and does not include GST or any other services taxes or any currency inflation and deflation. Please do not discuss about the cheapest price in this thread. Do it in your PMs. Last but not least, please do not compare the price with overseas price in here.

Many of the guitars stated below has a review in the review section. Many thanks to our forumites for doing the reviews (esp. Mr Subversion).

(Les Paul Style and Singlecut)
Burny RLG 45 - $900
Epiphone Bob Marley - $600
Tokai ALC-45 - $850
Tokai Love Rock LS75Q - $1,400
Yamaha AES 420 - Unknown
Yamaha AES 520 - Unknown
Yamaha AES 620 - Unknown
Yamaha AES 720 - Unknown
Yamaha AES 920 - Unknown

(Strat Style)
Fender Aerodyne Strat - $1,240
Fender Highway1 Stratocaster - $1,450
Squier 51 - $400
Squier Deluxe Strat QMT - $550
SX GG1K (Bundle with amp and accessories) - $235
SX SST62 - $195
Yamaha RGX-520FZ - $730
Yamaha RGX A2 - $790

(SG Style and Doublecut)
ESP LTD Viper 50 - $550
Ibanez AR300 - $1,020
Gibson SG Special (Faded edition) - $1,450
Gibson SG 61' Reissue - $2,600

(Tele Style)
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster - $1,240
Fender John5 Telecaster - $2,100

(Super Strat Style)
Brian Moore i81 - $800
Cort M-200 - $400
ESP LTD F2005 - $1,350
ESP LTD M-50 - $460
Ibanez SZ320 - $900
Ibanez SZ2020 - $2,000
Ibanez RG321MHWB - $680
Ibanez RG321MH - $600
Ibanez RG350 - $860
Ibanez RG350DX - $850
Ibanez RG370 - $860
Ibanez RG450MH - $1,250
Ibanez JEM Jr - $900
Ibanez GSZ120 - $470
Ibanez S520EX - $1,800
Ibanez Mike Mushok Signature MMM1 - $1,700
Music Man Sub1 - $950
OLP Luke - $600
Schecter 006 Elite - $980

(Others)
BC Rich NJ Mockingbird - $900
Ibanez Iceman IC400 - $1,250
Schecter Ultra - $850
OLP MM1 - $395

(Hollowbodies)
Epiphone Dot - $700
Ibanez Artcore AF85VLS - $800

(7 Strings)
Ibanez RG7321 - $950

The STRING question

So far these are the better strings (tonal and quality taken into consideration) available in Singapore. Please PM me on other brands available locally that I've missed out.

Electric Strings
D'addario
Dean Markley
Ernie Ball
Elixir
Fender
GHS
Gibson
John Pearse
Paul Reed Smith
Rotosound
S.I.T
Wryes

Acoustic Strings
D'addario
Elixir
GHS
Gibson
John Pearse
Maestro
Wryes

More information regarding gauges will be added, however, there will be no string reviews as everyone exprience with strings are different.
[/b]

Some guitar shape/models to suggest for the below genres (nothing too ex)

Rock
Blues
Metal (Include Instrumental Rock)
Jazz
Punk
Funk
Grunge
Country

and other genres which I have missed out. Generalisation will be good. PM me if possible. Thanks!

Re: Anatomy and Buying Guide for Electric Guitar and Pickups

Lifehouse said:
Strats, Teles and Superstrats (Ibanez RGs, Jackson Soloist and the likes) are most often bolt on where the neck is bolted to the body with 3 or 4 bolts.

Soloist are neck-thru body tho, their bolt on counterparts are Dinkys or DK's
:wink:

Can explain these?

1. Why different types of wood for necks?
2. What are the main differences?
3. Which is better / safe bet?
4. According to the genres we played, does it matter?

xspace said:
Can explain these?

1. Why different types of wood for necks?
Different sound. Rosewood neck tend to be darker especially Indian Rosewood, so they might not work as well with certain amp. But unless you are very particular about tone, maple, mahogany or rosewood should work equally well. The density of the wood will also contribute to durability of the neck, but most well constructed neck are quite resistant to warping if you maintain it well.

2. What are the main differences?
As above

3. Which is better / safe bet?
Its up to the individual and from experience, there is no better choice. Best is you try it, the feel is most important in my opinion. Try all of them before coming to a conclusion.

4. According to the genres we played, does it matter?
To a certain degree, yes.

Re: Guitars Pricing in a Glance

Lifehouse said:
(Super Strat Style)
Brian Moore i81 - $800
Cort M-200 - $400
ESP LTD F2005 - $1,350
ESP LTD M-50 - $460
Ibanez SZ320 - $800
Ibanez SZ2020 - $2,000
Ibanez RG321MHWB - $680
Ibanez RG321MH - $640
Ibanez RG350 - $860
Ibanez RG350DX - $850
Ibanez RG370 - $860
Ibanez RG450MH - $1,250
Ibanez JEM Jr - $900
Ibanez GSZ120 - $470
Ibanez S520EX - $1,200
Ibanez Mike Mushok Signature MMM1 - $1,700
Music Man Sub1 - $980
OLP Luke - $600
Schecter 006 Elite - $980

just revising some of the prices stated above, these latest quotes have been included in the review section. i find the info here very useful- keep up the good work my friends :smt023

Ibanez SZ320: $900
Ibanez RG321: $600
Ibanez S520: $1,800
Music Man SUB1: $950

can some1 do an "Anatomy and Buying Guide for Amps and effects"

perhaps something like that? as this thread has been useful.. i'd like to know more abt amps, eg. diff between solid state and tube..

thanks.. :)

Thx for the reply... BTW, where to get PRS guitars, besides Davis? And usually PRS is used to play what kinda music?

How much would it cost for the one with the bird inlay...

xspace said:
Thx for the reply... BTW, where to get PRS guitars? And usually PRS is used to play what kinda music?
At Davis , PRS is mainly used to play any kind of music.. its wad people who cant decide between and strat and les paul usually end up goin for.

Dont bother getting birds and the fanciful stuff if you're just starting. Those birds don't contribute to tone. Anyway, a 10 top custom with birds should set you off around 4.2k or more. Whatever a PRS can do, so can an Ibanez or something alot that line.

But if you are dead set on getting one, look for 2nd hand, goes for about 2.8k to 2.9k based on last few pieces I see.

xspace said:
Thx for the reply... BTW, where to get PRS guitars, besides Davis? And usually PRS is used to play what kinda music?

How much would it cost for the one with the bird inlay...

I think this shouldn't be in this thread.

Lets stick to the purpose of this thread and ask relavant questions.

Latest posts

Back