A good notebook for music?

Buy a macbook, and make music right away, isn't it that good. If you wait for next Macbook(pro) revision, at their price point is the best performance for Windows. Since Apple change to Intel, their laptop line keep topping in windows environment.

you'll probably want a big screen and large resolution, if not you're gonna a fun time scrolling up and down and left and right

wel....

my idea notebook might be light weight and able to run mulit music software at once.. Mac is good but is the software thingy that i hate. how about other notebook that run in windows?

most important is carry around and good sound~

i swear by asus. but I'm currently using a free HP compaq one given by starhub and disappoints me that it hasn't failed yet despite the abuse lol.

my idea notebook might be light weight and able to run mulit music software at once.. Mac is good but is the software thingy that i hate. how about other notebook that run in windows?

most important is carry around and good sound~

You still can buy Mac and install windows natively.
I used before toshiba. It is very stable. MY friend bought Samsung iCore7 base laptop. It is very fast.

Depends on your need. As Blueprintstudio said, fast CPU and filled RAM are probably the key. If you are going to be using lots of VST plugins, then look for one that enables you to have lots of RAM.

I'm using Vaio Z56 - max 8GB RAM. I would dual boot - in the DAW partition, make sure all the unnecessary hardware are disabled (eg. modem, internal soundcard, memory card readers, fingerprint sensor, and other unnecessary whatnots).

talking about making music, multimedia, best bet would be a Mac. It's hard to walk in a studio not to see a Mac as their main or sub-main machine. I'm using a Macbook for my music fetishes and another Mac for all sorts of rubbish.

Why get a Mac? It's good (in many ways and reasons), and best of all, you can run your favourite Windows on a separate boot, just like our HP, IBM, Dell, Toshiba notebooks would. So why not? 2 different OS platforms in a single machine. I think that's already a pull factor. If you're not a Mac user yet, boot up ur favourite Windows, but soon if you found out using Mac OS fits you in the future, you already have a Mac OS in it. 2 monster OSes in one single machine, so what are you resisting for? Erm.... I dunno why I still have friends telling me that, "But, I more familiar with Windows OS, bla bla.. " but..but... Mac can run Windows, yes Mac can boot Windows OS... is that something new???? omg, wth...

1stly : "beside i mac?" , so i understand the people who are standing on the side of macs are trying to preach the "dual booting" option. so ANDY82 , at your own risk ok. this thread seems to be turning into another mac vs pc war.

it's like cars, a Nissan Fairlady was built for the speeding/racing with its 3.5l engine, and a Nissan Murano with a same 3.5 engine but bulked up as an SUV for spacious storage and family use. but would go slower because of the weight and aerodynamics.
If you were meant to speed, get one solely for racing.
If you were meant to enjoy space and power at the same time, get one to achieve its purpose.

you said "besides imac" means PC (you can't mean linux anyway.) and for music. so people like cheez and myself using a non-mac and for music usage will be speaking up. Cheez is doing heavier duty composition ram intensive purposes so he needs 8gb ram. 64bit OS.dual boot cos he uses it for Office I assume.I'm doing recording/mixing and have my own methods to mix heavily at low specifications at 2gb ram and 32bit OS windows XP.I single boot because so far my office use on this DAW laptop has not come close to failing.
do not get an audio interface which is NOT windows 7 friendly asio drivers. cos that's your other key to stability in music production.

so if budget comes as an issue Mac can cost, PC-laptops also can cost for high end to meet your purpose, unless you're talking about cheap desktop DIY parts assembled together for longer warranty and upgradeables but that takes away your function of mobility (if you need it).

we have successful rates of people using macs and people using PCs doing it for music. as much as we have high rates of complaints of ppl against PC (instability/breakdown) and Mac (the very famous hdd merciless failure without warning. I know 4 people that felt the wrath)

so end of the day, it's what you're comfortable with, you're the "driver" of this "vehicle". you're the killer using your weapon of choice. so in case if you haven't read, pls check out http://tinyurl.com/diyrecording , cos I assume the next thing you're going to ask is which DAW is better

I don't understand HDD crash merciless failure on Mac part. Like Windows, you can look at SMART status on the HDD if the HDD performance start to drop. I did change an HDD in my iMac. SMART was in red, and managed to backup all my data just in time. No difference in Mac,PC or Linus.

That one is US dollar lah. Actually it is about the price of Samsung, of cos I don't remember the detail of the Samsung other than iC5 or iC7 processor used.

kongwee : there's nothing to worry about as long as you maintain a good habit of scheduled backup. I have 7.5tb of harddisks. double/triplecopy automation everything. it's like insurance for under $1K.

Wads the currency in ? Wow impressive.

yup, as mentioned by kong wee, its in usd.

The prices for local market can be found below

http://www.sgcubehubs.com/inc/sdetail/240

http://www.mucro.asia/index.php?/vmchk/Mucro-Sager-Notebooks/View-all-products.html?Treeid=1

anyway, if anyone having more budget but dont want mac for music(yes, theres life on the order side and its by preference and choice, of individual..)

http://rainrecording.com/products/

anyway, for me, sager is like a cheaper alternative, over the rain laptop

looks like overall is either a mac or a high speedo computer

Oh yes, yup, and ya. I've used both for my music exploration, erm, yup, I'm versed with both. But, somehow, since I'm an avid Mac user since the Color Classic era, and also during Dos and Win 3.11, my direction would still be Mac. As a manager in my department where I work in a bank, I use MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint extensively on Windows XP, and in this category, I prefer using Windows coz I'm so used to it plus I'm so good in it, I wouldn't use a Mac. And, as I mentioned above, Mac boots up both OSes, and I dun really see a reason, why you shouldn't consider a Mac. But then again, it's your $, you choose what you want and what you are comfortable with. I'm here, just like anybody who has posted here, gave our opinions, based on experience, with and/or without biase.

Back