A good notebook for music?

Apple just update Macbook Pro line, 15" inch with iC5 start at $2,688 and iC7 at $3,188. Their 13"inch one is not worth to look at as people are in iC3 in this price range.

This is good new for PC laptops hunter, cos all other brand will begin to slash price in couple of weeks time.

Last edited:
I'm living in a rock. Didn't know about SSD. OMG, this is truly good stuff. Watched the tests on youtube, I mean, not really wow'ed by the speed and performance, but I'm more into the non-movable parts kinda drive it is. I've crashed a couple of external drives and lose loads of datas, mp3s, videos, documents, blardly bla, and I really think SSDs eliminate or at least minimize the frustrations of losing data again to problematic HDDs we're using.. but the price, ehem... not cheap, but I'm sure, give it another year.... well, this is really good technology, for now at least. I think it's about time to move from HDDs to something more stable. Can anyone tell how long have we been using HDDs at home? I guess in early 80s... yes, its time for a change, a good one!

SSD is the shits, i got a few servers running fusion io drives. they are blardy amazing in terms of performance. very very very very awesome!

heh, this app below can trace the boot up time of comp starting up.

boot up timer

In the notebook review forum thread which i was reading and saw the app, some folks had this result with ssd

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=423878&page=291

boot.jpg

boottime.jpg

I clock round 50plus seconds for my old xp equipped laptop for music. What a joke, compare to the ssd, just on booting up alone. Supposed for music apps, should benefit from those even more

I bought a Sony VAIO last year and it broke down in 6 months. And i have a Macbook with Windows installed and in gives some problems over the years.
Laptops are easy to break down, and seriously, i will never recommend a laptop for music work or any large data work that anyone is going to work on for months.
Biggest issue with laptops are=>
1) Registry problems that arise due to constant switching on/off and restarting Windows, this of cos becos your laptop is mobile.
2) Hardware issues due to constant mobility and shaking

You should seperate the usage of internet from doing music, if you plan to play games, you could get a netbook just for that, i think you can get netbooks for prices like S$600+. Honestly, if you are planning on moving around and using on mobility, just get a netbook. And get another desktop for your music works at home.
Also, get an external harddisk that you can backup your data often, remember, nowadays, things are made in China!!!!

If it's studio work, always desktop. However, if one need to be mobile and live, there's no choice but a notebook.

For arrangements/mixing etc, I would still use my desktop. My notebook is for live performances only.

I bought a Sony VAIO last year and it broke down in 6 months. And i have a Macbook with Windows installed and in gives some problems over the years.

Also, get an external harddisk that you can backup your data often, remember, nowadays, things are made in China!!!!

Macbook is best not to install Bootcamp. But use VMware or something like that. If your DAW is in windows, I think you use a PC laptop instead. My friend who like to use windows in MBP alway hack the MBP to provide the full performance for windows.

Back