Zoom Q3HD vs H4n vs H2n

Kambodia

Hey everyone!

[I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong section. New here, forgive meh.]

Anyway, back to the topic, I just wanted to ask if I should get a Q3HD, a H4n or a H2n.

WHY Q3HD:

Has:
- Camera.
- Mics the same as H4n [or as I've been told/read].

WHY H4n:

- Awesome as a portable audio recording device.
- Has loads of functionality.

WHY H2n:

- Cheaper than the rest.
- 4 mics...?

Anyway, just a brief background about why I'm considering this, is basically because I've been playing the acoustic guitar for like, a year or so, and I wanna start doing some recording, be it with friends or by myself, and share it around [if got standard!].

I've tried 'blueprintstudios' under $50 DIY recording, and it didn't work out well with my electro-acoustic/semi-acoustic [however you categorize it], so I'm thinking of a mid/long-term investment now!

[I also tried passing it through a amp, then into the comp, thinking it will turn into a pre-amp. Does it work that waY? Side question!]

So anyway, the main reason why I'm having a dilemma its mainly because the Q3HD has a relaively-high-quality camera, but the downside is I won't have as much functionality of the H4n.

But then again, the H4n sounds like its leaps and bounds better than the Q3HD if its just audio recording.

And finally, the H2n seems to be 'awesome for jamming' and is about, half the price of both the either zoom products. So budget-wise, this fits in!

So should I:

1) Get a Q3HD and lose the extra functions of the H4n; aka. Gain ease of casual usage, lose functionality.
2) Get a H4n and use a handheld camera to record video and sync them together?; aka. Only useable if I'm doing recording at a fixed location.
3) Get a H2n instead of a H4n. $$ reasons.

Because I'm not very sure what a H4n can do to help to make the acoustic guitar sound clearer and sharper. If it does help, then maybe the H4n has a slight edge over the H2n and Q3HD.

But if it just helps only for distortion/electric guitars/bass, then well, the H4n kinda just loses the race.

OR DOES IT?!

Thanks for your input!

...If there's any. D:!

=Kambodia.

P.S. Oh! And budget-wise, I'm not looking for anything too expensive, since I'm still schooling [Poly-ing?], so, yeah! OR maybe a USB-Mic interface with a headphone input? I saw someone suggesting that as an alternative. Would that be better?

For your purposes, I would go with the H2n (or Q3HD).

The main benefit of the H4n in my opinion is the additional inputs, making it a great all-in-one mic and interface for recording different amps and instruments. But if you're just recording acoustic guitar (+ vocals), it makes sense to go with the H2n. Not only is it cheaper, it's also a much newer product with a better interface, way longer battery life, half the weight, ridiculous mic options...

Q3HD of course has the camera, so if you want to record outdoors with video, or gig videos etc its a lot more convenient. If not, you can connect the H2n to your computer and use it as a USB mic, record with a webcam or other connected camera, directly on whatever video recording software you have, so no need to worry about manual sync.

As far as quality is concerned, for amateur recording the difference between all 3 are negligible. There are way too many other factors to consider before it makes a difference.

I would get the h2n, the mid side recording function in it is a great feature. The camera in the q3 hd isn't that impressive IMO, even the newer iPhones and smartphones can pull off awesome video recording. Thus you might be better off with the h2n and using the money saved to get maybe like accessories or stuff like that.

Oh there's the citymusic year end sale coming up, so it might be a great time to buy.

Wow, so many replies!

carboxymoron;
Thanks for the info! Really helped clear alot and narrowing it down. Haha! So I'm safe to say H4n can be put out of the question? Unless I'm heading into more serious portable Audio Recording?

xfigox;
Hmm, true. But my phone is still like, a 3MP one. Haha! So that's why I'm considering a portable Cam.

PatheinRaindropMoe;
Yeah! That's what got me to think about the options in the first place. Haha!

Thanks you guys for the quick reply! :D!

=Kambodia.

EDIT: Oh, just wanna ask if the audio quality recorded on the Q3HD is better, worser or similar than the H2/n? Based on your personal experience, or hearsay.

q3hd

Hi! I own a q3hd and yes the sound and video is awesome but here's the down side it drains battery like crazy. You either need to get the adapter for long time usage or super powerful batteries for it to last. Don't know bout the rest but that's for q3hd in a 1080px mode! Other than that its still awesome:)

iam using q3hd currently and used to have the older h4.

The quality of recording is decent enough for random doodling as well as proper recording if you know what you wanna do and how to go about it.

To a large extent, the quality of the raw files will depend on the environment which you be recording in and also is it using the mic for input or via line in. I have been using it mainly for line in recording bypassing the external mic.

Recording the raw files is prolly the first step, there be other tweaking which can be done in daw together with plugins to touch up the file for mixing with the rest of the tracks.

Thus, whether is the sound quality better or worse between the 2, imho, theres no definitive answer, without taking into consideration the way you record(line in vs external mic), environment of recording (ambient noise, soundproof, sound dampen places etc) and also post recording/mixing/processing in daw.

My experience is similar, I've used the H4n, Q3HD, and H2, but for different purposes, in different environment, so it's hard to compare the quality. Basically all are "good enough" not just for amateurs but also for pros. Think of your favourite Youtube singers / live videos, a lot are done with Zoom recorders. Important thing is to manage the mic placement and levels (clipping is your number #1 enemy when recording bands/amps; for solo/acoustic, you want to find a nice sounding room with minimal noise).

Thanks for the sharing!

I just asked because I'm afraid if I get a Q3HD, I'd get like a, Phone-like recording still. I mean, I still wanna use it for like, let's say, recording certain outings or events [it looks small enough to fit into a pocket!], but at the same time, I can still plop it down and start recording a spontaneous cover if I wanted to, and still have a decent audio quality [not really until studio standard, but at least people would at least know it wasn't recorded in 2006!].

So for example, let's say if I brought my guitar out with a group of people, like to a park, then suddenly we have the idea of recording something, would the Q3HD hold up? Or would the H2n fare better? Or should I just shelve this, and 'steal' a iPhone 4 from a friend to record everytime the opportunity arises?

Let's say with slight breeze*, clear skies at ECP. Would there be too much interferance from the wind picked up by the sensitive mics that renders the Zoom product to lose its shine and fare the same as a iPhone4-like recording?

Sorry for all the questions!

=Kambodia.

EDIT: Oops, should'be said slight breeze, maybe that's better. Moderate wind would most likely cause like a "SHAAHHAH" while recording, no matter what it is, would it? Haha!

Last edited:
my Q3HD did pick up the shaaaaaaaaaaaa noises but that is when i put it to the (high gain?) mode. the lower ones wont have the shaaaaa sound but you have to place it super close to your guitar to pick up a decent volume from it

You can check on youtube for some videos on the zoom Q3HD, I've seen a couple of concert bootleg recorded on the Q3HD and the audio quality is pretty decent, you will definitely not be getting phone-like recording quality.

If you're planning to record outdoors, you will need a wind sock (sold separately in the accessories pack):
ZoomWindsock_main.jpg

Oops, I realized my thread has been moved. Sorry!

weikwang;
Oh! I see! But were you still able to get a clear recording?

xfigox;
Yeah, I seen a few as well! Even outdoors one, and they seem pretty awesome!

I think I might be getting a Q3HD! Now its just getting the cash... Haha!

Thanks for all your inputs! Really appreciate it! :D!

=Kambodia.

P.S. Just a random idea, do you think its possible to use your iPhone4-like phone, and attach a H2n as a external mic while recording a video? Because I saw a review on with the 4 channel sensing was kinda cool, so I was wondering if anyone did try to connect the "line-out" of the H2n to the input of the phone. It would be pretty awesome if it works out. Haha!

the shaaaaaa sound will over power the voice if the wind is too strong la! and getting the wind sock will definitely help. if you get the Q3HD i suggest you get the accessories pack too! it has all the things you need in it!

what semi pros usually do to get great videos with great audio is to use a good video capturing device, such as a DSLR or even the latest compact cameras such as the canon s100, together with a good audio capturing device such as a h4n. then they do some post production work on their computers, editing the audio and syncing it with the video, overwriting most, if not all of the video's audio.

if this sounds like a hassle, or you do not have the budget for a good HD recording device, the simplest method is to get the q3HD, since it is almost the same price as the h4n. the video quality of the q3HD is acceptable, main downside is, unlike a camera, there is no optical zoom.

for other purposes like gig videography, it will be wise to split your audio capturing device with your video capturing device if you're serious. if you require only bootleg quality, then a q3HD will suffice. do check out the numerous q3HD recordings on youtube to get a clear picture of what it is about!

but here's my take. if you acquire the q3hd, it's a non-expandable option, so it's kinda like if you ever want to upgrade your video quality, you'll find that you've spent $$ on the q3hd, and if you sell it away to fund a camera, you'll still need a good external mic.

have you considered the h1? it's a quality mic on a very competitive price point. if you are just interested in making quality videos, mounting this to the hot-shoe of a DSLR or an EVIL would be a better option. not enough money to get a good camera now, can at least save up after getting the h1, which is $250 cheaper than the h4n and the q3hd

Hey MadWerewoldBoy!

Wow, that's very detailed! Haha! Thanks!

But I don't think I'd be going serious any time soon. I mean, maybe a few years down? But a.t.m, I just want something that I can carry around AND lug my guitar as well. So that's why I'm kinda leaning towards a 2-in-1 in the Q3HD even though I understand that it's like a, fixed product. Haha!

And that's the reason why I'm still kinda in a dilemma on whether I should get a H2n, which is cheaper AND expandable BUT with alot of hassle, or the Q3HD which is just everything packed together, but everything's of average quality. Haha!

And I doubt I'd be getting a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe when I start working and REALLY going into this path. But as of now, it's just a hobby of a young boy/man!

Oh, the headaches of indecisiveness. Haha. ._.

=Kambodia.

P.S. Oh, and the lack of optical zoom is kinda... disappointing, I would say? Haha, but I guess the rest of the features would cover that!

Last edited:
1) $50 DIY recording - if you're using acoustic, you're better off miking the acoustic guitar than using pickups. the noise would be hideous to work with. but lets move on.

2) Since I have an amount of experience with zoom products this would be my cents worth.

(prices are rounded up estimate due to laziness or take it as inclusive of bus/train transport and a soft drink.)

before you read on, remember you must set aside budget for the microsd/SD COMPATIBLE cards and the rechargeable batteries OR Zoom AC adapters (The H2/h4n adapter (AD-0006A) is 9V 300mA. The Q3HD adapter (AD-14) is 5V 1A) don't mess around with electricals if you blow your unit w/3rd party you blow your warranty.

H1n = 130
power - one AA batt runs for hours.
storage - runs on microsd. 2 mics. super light weight , looks like the thing they use in men in black. careful with the microsd, it's so small you might swallow the memory card.
no video.
no limiter.
no audio interface (so if you eventually learn to integrate use with a DAW software, you would have to record separate and import which is kind of lame.)
pretty wallet friendly.

your use - stereo recording. thats it. for live, jamming (from a corner).
-
H2n = 250
power - 2 AA batt. according to here it's 5 times the operating hours. I guess they integrated H1 into this.
storage - sd card. make sure you get compatible (or simply kingston) sd cards, lifetime warranty at convergent.
no video.
4 mics.
has limiter (very important, so when you record live gigs too loud , it'll compress the sound with minimal or no crackling.)
comparing H2 with H2n
audio interface - no sd card? just record directly into your laptop/daw. install the asio drivers and off we go. but remember, only onboard mics + line input. no xlr no 1/4 jack unless you use a guitar > 1/4to1/8 and I believe you'll face impedance problems etc.

your use - surround jamming. live recording. home recording for acoustic guitar/vocals. thats it.
-
H4n = 380
power - 6 hours according to the FAQ above. most probably because of the phantom power it produces if you're using XLR condensors.
storage - sdcard.
no video.
stereo mics.
has limiter.
audio interface - this is what it's best for, I know the H4n to have a lot better preamps than the old H4. XLR/1/4" inputs means you can record guitar/bass DI (there's onboard amp simulation) or you can utilize a 3rd party VST.the simultaneous recording (ON SD CARD) means you can record from the mic + the xlr,1/4 inputs at the same time, means a live multitrack-like recording. OR H4n mics as overheads/room, then the 2 XLR inputs = snare/kick on a drumset (while drummer records monitoring on mp3 guide track) so you can pretty much fully layer a full band demo on your own. or ultimately if you add in a submixer, H4n mics records the drums, the mixer > H4n stereo input with the vocals,guitar,bass amps miked etc. (but at that stage really, you might as well get an zoom R24)
if I'm not wrong on audio interface it still records either from stereo mics or the 2 inputs. non-multitrack. but you can layer directly to your computer/DAW anyway. comes with cubase LE so it's alot more powerful than audacity, unless you have something better. so the upgradability is there.

your use = for heavier duty audio recording/production. so H2n and H4n will be your only options that doesn't require batteries nor SD cards if you're using at home because it's USB bus powered and goes directly into your DAW.
-
Q3 = 220
power - no idea how long but it's AA batt.
storage - sd card - don't forget to set $budget$ for this
video - if you're eventually getting an iphone 4 or DSLR, screw this. it's only standard definition. but do take note you can't compare iphone4/dslr videos capability to Q3 /Q3HD because their "file space management" isn't as stable. if i'm not wrong iphone4 has a 10 min limit. DSLR also has some video capturing limits. but quality is godiva vs shit.
stereo mics - i'd like to guess it's the same mic as zoom H1. no limiter. so record it on low gain if it's clipping.
audio interface none.
wallet friendly. if you look at it this way, the video camera lens is somewhat comparable to a surveillance CMOS camera sold at simlim around $50 - $100. so $130 (h1) + a video camera lens = justified cost.

your use = simple camwhoring. jamming. live gig.
-
Q3HD = 380
power - few hours, definitely drains fast. get a zoom AC adapter specially for this one.
storage - this is where it gets important, if you film HD 1080 or something higher quality than WGA (dvd) , you will need an SD card CLASS 6 and above speed. (I'm using a 32gb Class 10 transcend.) this applies to the same if you buy a DSLR and you find that upon recording video it stalls or crashes, because you're using a container lorry to try drive at 100km/h on the 1st lane express way
video - as stated above in Q3. but honestly, comparing it with an iphone4 if you're filming for less than 10 mins, iphone 4 wins in low light/quality etc. but Q3HD is great for the frame rate filming at a fluid 60fps (but useless on youtube cos it recodes at 30fps)
on an AC adaptor with a 32gb sd card, stability wise I've left it filming for more than 8 hours without a single glitch. I use this for www.gigvideos.com now. video quality is good but I think it's locked in by the limit of the CMOS-like camera lens.
mics - I assume it's H1 level mics. so I'd record at "low" , then edit the audio after that to add in my own software limiter. won't be applicable if you don't do audio editing.think of this as the Q3n +$160 more for HD , this same nice guy reviewed the details of it. apparently 1080 "zooms" in as compared to 720. so if you wanna make use of a "natural zoom" from a distance and have a large space to deal with before using digital zoom.
no limiter.
audio interface - none.

your use = HD camwhore. jamming. live gig. less focus on audio, more focus on video. but won't supersede the power of a real video camera.
-
once you're getting an iphone 4 (if not for long filming) , DSLR , video camera soon, you can ditch the plan of getting a Q3/Q3HD. but that would require post editing (synchronization).

if you just want convenience all rounder, go with the Q3HD. If you want audio recording focus, Zoom H2 or H4n depends on what you will be recording.

currently I have a canon 60D DSLR with a zoom Q3HD/Zoom R16 as my audio recording rig.if I film long hours I'll use q3hd, if I need higher quality but long hours I have my Sony SR8 video camera. if I'm at a gig with the q3HD rollin' and suddenly I feel like filming from a 2nd angle to make it multi cam I just whip out my iphone and sync to it later.As you can see, it depends on your budget adjusted for your use for it.

3) I don't work for zoom or citymusic, I just work with great cost effective products. thanks for reading. have fun shopping at their year end sale. their service is ace. this should help you or whoever has the same situation decide what you want ultimately.

i haven't seen the specs of the h2n. apart from the $123, what are the other differences between the h1 and h2n?

edit: oh ok, ron listed it above as i typed this.. haha

Last edited:
blueprintstudios;

Whoa, that's a real detailed explaination! Awesome! Thanks man!

But I was browsing their catalogue, and I came across the "Korg Sound-on-Sound" recorder, and I was wondering how is it different from the H4n? I was trying to find reviews of it, and I came across two references that really caught me:

Specs: http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=566

http://www.gearwire.com/korg-sosrecorder-proreview.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrIB401Io9M&feature=related

The only major difference is the lack of USB for Korg, but I'm intrigued by a lack of use of this Korg SR1 though. Did it build up some 'reputation' of some sort, or...? Can't really find much external source on YouTube reviewing it, unless I missed it. D:

What's more its only 280, compared to the H4n, which is 372.

And thanks again for the very lengthy post! Must've took some time! And maybe you should get some kind of sponsorship from them, your knowledge of their recording products are so, so deep. Haha!

=Kambodia.

you're welcome. yeah it did take a while to type but sorta did that while mixing/rendering some stuff + watching TV, they're showing Singapore's 90s version of Twilight now (chew chor meng) lol so it's not really taking much of my mind to do so..

sound on sound recorder http://www.korg.com/SOS if i'm not wrong as compared to H4n :
1-guitar
2-bass
3-drumsL
4-drumsR
that's it. max. then you would have to keep bouncing to stereo manually etc.
1-free > vocals
2-free > keyboards
3-drums+guitar+bass
4-drums+guitar+bass

etc etc

whereas I think Korg SR1's does that automatically. so it's "unlimited" but on their site would still indicate *Limited by the capacity of the installed microSD/SDHC card. there's guitar input but no XLR inputs. on a realistic estimate, a stock built-in preamp usually would cost $100onwards. therefore I believe the comparison would be being $100 more for the 2 preamps, phantompower. and I'm not sure how the korg SOS 's mics are, but zoom H4n has proven its worth so far. I'd ditch the korg SR1's unlimited function (limit by AA batt + sd card) to be recording at home / DAW / to laptop which is the same effect.unless you have a habit of recording by the beach where you get inspirations or something.

in my opinion, SR1 didn't really catch much attention as it got drowned together with the other brands while zoom kinda stood out for the price/performance.

haha no need for sponsorship.. the knowledge just happens to coincide with what I often used to use/read up on before my purchases.

Latest posts

Back