Yamaha RGX 520FZ

subversion

Yamaha_RGX_520FZ.jpg

Yamaha RGX-520FZ
List: $730

Being a fan of (selected) Ibanez guitars, the new Yamaha RGX-520FZ screams Ibanez SZ520 rather blatantly. It`s no surprise if the 2 companies shared secrets between themselves to offer players a more affordable set neck guitar rather than being content with a certain licensed Gibson LP copies…

The RGX520 is a fine Chinese product, there`s no faulting the fit & finish, everything is tip-top but I have reservations on the nut. It looked well-cut but it doesn`t hold tuning well. I sincerely hope that a little graphite lubrication would do the trick.

The volume & tone pots are functional but it`s not as smooth as I expected them to be. The tune-o-matic type bridge & tailpiece is a very rewarding pair if you are the type who employ vigorous palm movements. The bridge component has smooth string saddles which is a very player-friendly inclusion. Traditional versions offer incised tips which is rather hazardous & uncomfortable for some of us. The elongated, individual tail end, anchors each strings firmly to the body, the looks of which mirrors Ibanez`s monorail (trademark) type hardware.

If you aren`t accustomed to finished necks, steer clear of this RGX. The playing surface gets sticky rather quickly but it`s nothing overwhelming. The neck, conceptually is an attempt to equal Ibanez`s SZ profile if not surpassing it. Things look very familiar especially the volute behind the neck/ headstock joint area. The single fretboard marker again reeks the SZ`s `flame` version. I find this flashy & very confusing, especially when the design spans prior to & beyond the 12th fret. The tuners are the most futuristic aspect of this guitar, they remind me very much of Jackson`s Roswell Rhoads model. The grip design had me fumbling initially but rest assured that they are very functional albeit a little quirky. Up next: tone.

Very pleasant tones coming from this guitar`s pickups however, it`s not too different from Ibanez`s Axis/ Powersound units, the pair have inclinations towards excessive treble. Despite being an alnico type, they sound high output with lots of harmonics on offer. Clean tones are clearly not this RGX`s forte, I only like the neck`s clean which was plesantly smooth, the bridge`s tone could have been better. The overall playing experience was accentuated by the all too familiar 25.5” scale length. The frets feel like medium jumbos but they handle bends & sweeps real well despite not being wide. Of course, no bad dressing or sharp edges to demerit the neck. However, the width would be excessive for some. The depth is also very Gibson rounded 50s-type but absolutely manageable as a whole. If you have short fingers like me, lethargy sets in early. The highlight of this neck IMO is the joint area, which sees a marked inclination on the set-in portion, to allow easy access the upper frets. Smart move…

Looks like 2005 is a good year for Yamaha, with reference to this offering. My only gripe with this guitar is that it`s too similar to the Ibanez SZ520 physically & conceptually. Also, it feels rather synthetic, if only more Yamaha guitars possess the SG2000`s very organic feel. The RGX520FZ is another testimony to the progress in far eastern workmanship, only snobs would dismiss this guitar by virtue of its origin. It`s also competitively priced for a set-neck model. Ibanez SZ, meet your worthy competitor.

Back