Yamaha MG206C Stereo AUX send

renoz88

Got a couple of question,

1) just bought a yamaha MG206C and would like to connect a stereo effects unit to its aux channel, however, the manual makes no mention of a stereo AUX send nor any mention of grouping a pair of AUX sends together

2) there also isnt a mains insert so the only way to connect a graphic EQ is in series on the way to the amp?? Is there anyway to route it such that the EQed mix can be monitored??

Anyone has any experience with this mixer can share some info??
Thanks

Hi renoz88

For efx send, usually you send a single signal out to the outboard efx unit and then from the efx unit Output back into the mixer's channel.

For example, you have vocal on Channel 10 of your mixer. You send it out via Aux 1 to your outboard efx. The efx's output is connected to Channel 15/16 on your mixer. This way, you can Eq and Pan your efx on Channel 15/16.

You want to use the Graphic EQ for recording or PA?

I will be using the graphic EQ more for live sound but i do do some recording for time to time, is there a different way to connect it for both apps??

for the AUX sends, what if i wean to send a stereo signal say from a laptop to the effects unit?

Graphic EQ is used to tune the 'room', preventing feedbacks in a live situation. That is why it is connected in between the Stereo out and Amp.

For recording, if you want, you can Insert the GEQ into any channel via the sidechain.

Laptop stereo Out -> Mixer channel 10(left) and channel11(right). Channel10's Aux 1 Out to Efx Input 1. Channel11's Aux 2 Out to Efx Input 2.

Efx Output 1 -> Mixer channel 15(left). Efx Output 2 -> Mixer channel 16(right).

* what EFX unit are you using?

1.) Connect your effects processor left input to aux send 2 and the right input to aux send 3.

2.) Connect the fx output to the return 1 .

Now you can you can send each channel to either left, right or both effects.

On the right side on the mixer there is a return 1 stereo knob which controls the amount of signal from the effects processor going into you final mix.

There are also return 1 aux 1 and return 1 aux 2 knobs. Keep these at zero otherwise you will be feeding the fx output back into it's input (that can sound cool).

For live sound you want the EQ sitting on the outputs of the mixer.

For recording you might want to get an insert cable and run the eq as an insert on a single channel.

Thanks Widdly, but lets say i connect a stereo source into a stereo pair channel and send the signals to both aux 2 and 3, wont that cause the stereo sound to become mono in the final mix?? cos both left and right source will be going to both FX inputs at the same time

Yeah it wont work on the stereo pairs. Most time devices with stereos outputs have built in effects anyway.

Alternatively you can just use every second input of the stereo pairs.. 13 and 16 as one stereo input and 17 and 20 as the other. You lose 2 inputs that way but your aux sends will work

If you want total flexibility, use a patch bay so you can easily re-patch things when you want to do some unusual processing.

Back