Who shaped your playing? (READ first post before replying!)

the guys who truly shaped my playing were the mat rocks I grew up with in Tanglin Halt.

Learned to "tangkap" songs from them at hdb void decks. Thses dudes could play almost any rock song & shread on a 2.5cm high action cheapo kapok guitar. I was blown away with what they could do.

Hammer ons, taping, vibrato etc - all can learn ..... when I first started I always kena "you play like you in a kotai / 7 month band lah.... must have "feel ..... lecture from them.

After that, playing what I heard on the radio or on tape wasnt that much of an issue.

3 cheers for them braders - gua chaya lu

the guys who truly shaped my playing were the mat rocks I grew up with in Tanglin Halt.

Learned to "tangkap" songs from them at hdb void decks. Thses dudes could play almost any rock song & shread on a 2.5cm high action cheapo kapok guitar. I was blown away with what they could do.

Hammer ons, taping, vibrato etc - all can learn ..... when I first started I always kena "you play like you in a kotai / 7 month band lah.... must have "feel ..... lecture from them.

After that, playing what I heard on the radio or on tape wasnt that much of an issue.

3 cheers for them braders - gua chaya lu

STEADY LAH!!!! Killer influences man!!!!:mrgreen:

actually, when one says, 'i realized that i sound like...', how do you conclude that, or what are the bases that you used to conclude your 'sounds like...'. For me, I don't know who do I sound like, maybe none, though I tried to play in the line of my fav guitarists. Maybe, need more practice, and focus, and consistencies in my practice.. :) no discipline at all..

Shaari(my teacher)
Dave Mustaine
Kirk Hammett
Jimmy Page
Alex Lifeson
Ace Frehley
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Rudolf and Michael Schenker
Joe Perry and Brad Whitford

Later influences would be Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Dave Murray, Jeff Beck, Marty Friedman, Eric Clapton, Randy Rhoads, Satch and lastly,
Mozart

Last edited:
Lol! Somehow yah.
Slash is top on my list.
I'm quite a huge fan but i'm not THAT fanatic but somehow, my solos and improvisations always seems to be more of the bending and shredding type. And one thing about Slash is that somehow, you can feel alot of soul. Thats my opinion.

1.Slash (The OLD Guns & Roses)
2.Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
3.Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)
4.Mick Mars (Motley Crue)

whoa, i always thought of these guys when playing:
Alex Gaskarth (All Time Low) - i really like his rythm guitar sound; and guitar selection
Blake Harnage (VersaEmerge) - tones and playing style
Josh Farro (Paramore) - sound
Christian Climer (There For Tomorrow) - sound

yep, they're the ones who shaped my playing and sound. \m/

Last edited:
mostly these guys:

Joey Wilson (A Skylit Drive) for playing style
maybe a little bit of Jim Root (Slipknot/Stone Sour) for playing style too
Frank Iero (MCR) for guitar choices and stuff like that
Josh Farro (Paramore) tone and a little playing style

but mostly
John Frusciante (RHCP), who made me pick up guitar.

Hmmm I dun really try to sound like anyone cos I rarely find a chance to input certain licks into my playing...but here are my influences recently:

Malmsteen
megadeth
Marty friedman
jeff loomis
Alexi laiho
Guo liang (my teacher)

But truth be told I sound like none of them. I just sound like (I wanna say the song but I'm not that good yet haha) scales up and down inside out -.-

The music I play sounds anything rock in general, ranging from pop-rock, alternative rock, to classic or hard rock. Usually licks and improvisations, i would usually do some sort of blues-driven rock, because i like da style and influenced by Jimmy Page's music .

These are my influences in my playing,
Slash
Mark Tremonti
Jimmy Page
John Mayer

Back