Which Distortion Pedal?

the zoom power drive by itself has a variety of overdrive to sight distortion tones for your to choose from. I suspect it's sterile on a solid state (it is pretty sterile on my amp) and more warm on a tube amp.

Have written a review on it: http://www.soft.com.sg/new/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4537

after i got the settings of the clean boost thing thou, i have been exclusively using it just for clean boost.

have not tried a TS9 or TS808 before, but I have tried a TS9DX. imo TS9DX is way too clean. If you're using a TS9 as a clean boost - i can see you probably like that sound the TS9 gives when clean. Then go for nothing but a TS9.

If you're looking for something that's very transparent but still boosts well, u can consider the power drive. Although it has a midhump, it's quite managable and does make ur clean sounds stand out nicely.

actually all those boost available are most likely to be designed for pushing larger amp instead.

imho, if its just using practice amp or those low wattage amp with 8"" speaker, there is really not much point...

I use an expandora 2 and love it great... it makes the singles sound excellent, however these r slightly rare n pricey... I got mine cheap tho, and took a little time experimenting.

Well, i tried the ds-1 and sd-1, didnt like them both as i found them too harsh, but the sd-1 is quite a decent boost.

neva tried the ts-9, but would recommend the voodoo lab sparkle drive (GREAT!!!), vintage rat (Grainy type of distortion... abit like the Marshall to me), and hotcakes.

I tried the hotcake and was very impressed with picking/touch dynamics. When u pick lightly, its v clean with very slight dirt only, but whack them strings and the thing roars. No need to roll off the volume knob, but must watch the picking techinque, ahaha cannot just whack liao. Its like a rat with huge bottom, works as a gd boost too, but cant really cut thro for solo. Little sustain too

I'm not going to use a booster to push an amp, but actually to raise the volume of myself when I'm playing a solo, aka solo boost. Mids are always welcome during a solo as well. It's going to be after my main source of distortion, my DS-1.

Where can I source for a used TS-9? Luther classifieds?

sanXp said:
I'm not going to use a booster to push an amp, but actually to raise the volume of myself

to boost volume maybe you can look at the mxr microamp.. sub did a review on it somewhere.. you can search for it..

Bruce said:
sanXp said:
Where can I source for a used TS-9? Luther classifieds?

spot on! always see em there :wink:

Alright! Maybe get one or two to play play before commiting to another Keeley modded pedal..

Rufus >> The basic difference is how they clip. Distortion is hard clipping, overdrive is soft. The name overdrive is probably derived from overdriving a tube amp, it will give you somewhat the same kind of soft clip. The wave of a hard clip is squarish, and the wave of the soft clip is round. More details here: http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

so... am i right to say that they both produce diff kind of sounds? i have a TS9DX and so i guess its an OD? so do i need another distortion pedal to go along with it?

Rufus said:
so... am i right to say that they both produce diff kind of sounds? i have a TS9DX and so i guess its an OD? so do i need another distortion pedal to go along with it?

yes TS9DX is OD. If you play music with distortion then get one... otherwise if u use the amp's distortion or u don't play music with distortion there's no need for you to get one.

hmm that's difficult to say... mainly because i feel that distortion pedals usually would be heavier than TS9DX so ur TS9 acts more of a booster...

but i think ur main concern would be getting a distortion sound that you want, rather than one that's compatible with the TS9.

You can visit a guitar shop and try out distortion pedals before u decide on one you want.

Rufus said:

Yes it's OD. If you're happy with your sound leave it be. :D You will know when you need more. :wink:

roughly $90-$290... depending on condition, chip inside, date of manufacture, model, first hand or second hand.

there's a lot of stuff on TS. google if you want to know more.

$90 is kinda cheap for a pedal of that 'calibre'.... hmm, up to $290??
whoa man, that's just getting a lil heavy huh?
well, thanks anyway for the help thor!

whats a TS9 and a tubescreamer? just curious...see all those bands with custom cabinets and tubes and stuff..what are the importance of such equipment and how do they function..sorry for the noob question

How much is a maxon tubescreamer copy? Will be much cheaper after all its a copy? Anyone here tried it before?

Maxon is not a ibanez copy....

They are the actual maker of ibanez pedal!!

Ibanez is to rest of the world. Maxon is for japan market

Back