Which Distortion Pedal?

xiaoviper

Hey guys, I was just wondering about which distortion pedal to buy, cause I might be changing from my multifx to a single pedal.

I've seen many ppl using Boss Distortion, Turbo Distortion and MetalZone. I have no idea which is good for me. I play almost every genre. Rock, Emo, Punk, Metal. Bands are like, Sum41, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, My Chemical Romance and some soloists like Joe Satriani.

Recommendations please?

Tech21's Sansamp GT2. i've heard their Triamp is even better, but i've only had playing experience with the GT2.

serialninja said:
Tech21's Sansamp GT2. i've heard their Triamp is even better, but i've only had playing experience with the GT2.

err what is a triamp? i've only heard of a Tri-AC and Tri-OD.. Btw do you guys send the GT2/Tri-AC/Tri-OD into the effect loop or straight into the input? I've seen in the manual that you're actually supposed to send it into the effects return, so it replaces your preamp..

:O you play metal and emo..what an awkward mix

anyway get the mt2 :D forget the emo and just play metal from now on haha

\m/

lol, I actually thought of using Single + Multi FX pedal. So maybe a tube screamer to boost. GCB95 for better wah =) Can I actually do that? Super distortion boost =) Metallica use distortion not MT, so I dun care about MT =X Actually i think MT's very rough, abit too heavy. I prefer a boosted distortion like Kirk. =)

If u want a boosted distortion tone might i recommend a DS1 boosted by a Voodoo Labs sparkle drive.....amazing.... 8O

DS-1...the most versatile distortion pedal in the world...If u wanna boost use a SD 1 with gain to 0 and level to full to boost the Ds1..... :twisted:

GT2, VS Jekyll & Hyde, Zoom Hyper Lead (i'm using it now :D )

DS1/2, SD1/2 might not be enough if u're looking for a wide range of tones (in ur case, wide influences). The other option is to get a DS1 and drop a equalizer pedal to get varying tones.

I use a Keeley modded DS-1. I play metal and it's fine, but I do have a pedal in front of it as a booster for more saturation. EQ is important too, so make sure you have a good amp and the sound will come out superbly. A vanilla DS-1 will do if you are on a budget. It's like what, $70? The MT-2 has been EQed towards metal, so you can get the 'metal sound' out of any amp, even a small one, but it can really mess the sound up if the amp you are using elsewhere like at a jam studio decides to play punk with you. Rather than trying to balance the EQ of an MT-2 with the amp's EQ, get a DS-1, and set the EQ at the amp only. The DS-1 only has 1 EQ knob, the MT-2 has like.. 4? Unless you jam/gig with your own amp, and you like the MT-2, then get that instead.

Hmm actually I thought of getting an EQ but I don't know how to set the EQ so I just forget it and decided not to buy haha. I see so many things to adjust, get kinda messed up. Yep I've tried MT-2 not really that bad if you know how to set but different amps give u different sounds... So that really suck, it's like, making me wanna get a pedal for every amp that gives me a different sound even though the setting is the same lol.

Sum41, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, My Chemical Romance and some soloists like Joe Satriani?

i tink u go for Sansamp GT2 and for extra boost get TS-9 also. dont tink too much.

where to buy GT-2 and how much is it??? i'm planning to get a distortion pedal too. cuz i'm currently using my multi effects.

Anyone with experience with BD-2? i'm thinking of getting a DS-1 and have it modded by randolf.

hullabalooeeks said:
where to buy GT-2 and how much is it??? i'm planning to get a distortion pedal too. cuz i'm currently using my multi effects.

Anyone with experience with BD-2? i'm thinking of getting a DS-1 and have it modded by randolf.

BD2 is bluesy and NOT like TS9. If you're into blues and brit rock i would say ya go for that... otherwise nope. Circuit-wise SD1 is much more similiar to TS9.

luthermusic and (i think?) sinamex sells GT2. It's not cheap firsthand though - $250 range.

Wanna hijack a bit..

What's a good solo boost pedal? I'm more or less set towards a TS-9, but how about others? Is a TS-9 more midrangy therefore a popular solo boost? I have not tried a TS-9 before so i'm not too sure..

sanXp said:
Wanna hijack a bit..

What's a good solo boost pedal? I'm more or less set towards a TS-9, but how about others? Is a TS-9 more midrangy therefore a popular solo boost? I have not tried a TS-9 before so i'm not too sure..

the klon centaur is an excellent booster... it just goes for 279USD?....

haha just kidding. but anyway, i'm using a zoom power drive which is supposed to be a poor man's centaur. i'm totally NOT using the drive stuff and just using the clean boost. it has even made my chorus pedal redundant by standards. get one if u can... under $100sgd second hand.

brundisium said:
boss ge-7, or any other form of eq pedal...

ts-9 is a overdrive pedal.....

I know, but many people turn the gain off completely and use the TS-9 as a solo boost pedal.

thor >> How does the power drive sound? Midrangy? Any idea how it sounds against the TS-9?

the midrange in the tubescreamber style pedal is all over the place. Unless you like the added colours to the overall tone, if not, the eq is the way to go.

anyway, ts9 can be found easily in the used market locally, just get one and try it, if it dont work out, just sell it away.

Latest posts

Back