What exactly are harmonics?

jaymz

Hey guys...I'm having difficulty playing harmonics
Can anyone explain to me what its all about and how do u play them effectively?

Thanks

There are several types of harmonics.

The most common type is the "natural" harmonic where you touch the string lightly at certain points on the string called "nodes" and then let go very quickly after you pluck, resulting in that bell-like noise. The position of the nodes along the string corresponds to divisions of the wavelength of the vibrating string, e.g. at the 12th fret, you would be dividing the string exactly in half. The other natural harmonics occur at other divisions, such as a 3rd and a quarter of the string length, (7th, 5th).

Another type is the "artificial" harmonic which can be sounded in a number of different ways. The same prinicipal of string length division is applied above in that you must pick the correct part of the string to either strike with the fleshy part of the pick hand thumb after the plectrum has hit, or fret with an index finger (in the case of fingerstyle) while you pluck with a different finger, or tap the string hard against the fretboard at the node such as Van Halen does in the intro to "Women In Love" (VH2).

Harmonics sound easier when you crank up the gain or treble and with the bridge pickup of an electric.

Here comes the science bit:

A musical note is sounded by sound waves, which you can think of as compression of the air (or medium) through which the sound is travelling.
Depending on the speed (frequency) of the wave, you hear different pitches, i.e. higher or lower.

Consider the open A string on the guitar; the fundamental frequency of the note is 440 Hz (this means wave cycles per second). When you pluck the A string, you don't hear a pure 440 Hz note, but the sound you actually hear is the fundamental note plus a bunch of other overtones related to the fundamental. These are known as harmonics. The combination of the harmonics, the relative amplitude (volume) of each of them contributes to the overall note quality and is varied by wood of the guitar, amplification, etc, equalization etc.

i don realli noe how to describle but got one is 2 guitar playin one high and low rite? some sort of likdat..

yngwie played pachelbels' canon in d is nice.. woooooo.. very nice

Sounds like you are describing 'harmony' which is different from harmonics.
Harmony is simultaneously playing 2 or more notes, resulting in intervals or chords.

forgot to mention...i'm a guitarist
are the any other songs which display this style of harmonics..i figure i'll learn better if i hear how it actually sounds like

Thanks

The intro and outro (first and last) classical guitar tracks on "Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force" - Yngwie's first solo album feature natural harmonics in all positions.

For tap harmonics, try "Women In Love" from Van Halen 2. He uses all the different types extensively in his playing.

For 'pinch' artificial harmonics, you can try virtually anything played by Billiy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Vai, Satch, etc.. they use a lot too.

hmmm...erm...so natural harmonics is when u touch the strings above the frets on the 5th. 7th, 12th frets etc? and pinch harmonics is when u play the note with the fleshy part of ur thumb and pick? am i right? so, how is a tap harmonic done? altho the term itself implies tapping but juz wanna be sure. thks!

p.s. OT a bit - Vernplum - i checked with Mr Esden himself (sorri dunno his name), and apparently he will bring in the Mesa F30, but its gonna cost SGD$1900. incl. of 5% goods tax. and its the int'l export version. meaning its 220V oredi. cheers

Tap harmonic is done like this:

Fret any note, e.g. A string 3rd fret (C). Then tap the string quite hard on the fret an octave above it (15th fret). Note that you must tap the string ON the fret itself, not in the gap between frets. You can also tap 5 and 7 frets above the fretted note. Try making chord shapes and then tapping the same shape 12 frets higher.

For other artificial harmonics, check Lenny Breau. He was the master, apparently and took this technique to the ultimate evolution.

Regarding the MESA, have you ordered through him? Sounds like it would be more expensive than direct ship. I am still waiting for MESA to get back to me on the pricing.

hey vern, thk for the explaination! appreciate it.

as for the mesa, won't be ordering thru him. Mesa takes forever to reply simple things. think i will wait for the ashdown to arrive and check those out. otherwise might get peavey liaoz. Mesa i'll just wait till next yr la. when i go US. try it out and see if its worth it. that one can wait la. heh.

fibredrive said:
hey vern, thk for the explaination! appreciate it.

as for the mesa, won't be ordering thru him. Mesa takes forever to reply simple things. think i will wait for the ashdown to arrive and check those out. otherwise might get peavey liaoz. Mesa i'll just wait till next yr la. when i go US. try it out and see if its worth it. that one can wait la. heh.

I'm seriously considering the THD Univalve head. Check it out.
http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/univalve.htm

yeah me too actually. forgot to mention that. but will have to wait a bit for my tube amp spree la. heh. save up first. might get the univalve afterall too. if ya getting it lemme know how it goes...! cheers

hey thanks vern...i get the idea now..
oh...another thing..i'm intending to upgrade my electric..
i've gone around peninsula and bras basah looking for a good axe

does a good axe always have to be fender, gibson or some other high end guitar?
'cos i did try out a few other brands and they give a really sweet sound..around the $300 region

what do u guys think?

Thx

Back