want to learn how to repair guitar and amps

xhareshx

hey
i have been playing the guitar for quite some time now.. im very interested to go more indept. i would like to learn how to wire a guitar.both passive n active. i would also like to learn the basics of repairing amps n effects pedals too.. i dunno any place tt teaches such stuff. anyone here noes where i can learn stuff. im willing to pay a price if im offered sumting like a course or sumting..

thanks for helping guys!

fretless : There are books at esplanade that offer a wealth of information ( or he said something like that ) :D

Before you can do rewiring, you must be good in soldering and techniques on what and how to do wiring.

Soldering is also a skill not really unlike guitar playing. It requires a lot of patience and time to master.
Wiring have plenty of Do's and Don'ts. I see many decent soldering job before but atrocious wiring. You must following a set of rules or you will short circuit easily.

rewiring is even more tough than a new wire job. more than twice time consuming to rewire an entire circuit than start from scratch.

You are looking at minimum 6months of intensive training before you are any good. By my estimate.

My advise, just get someone proficent to do it for you for a fee than blotch up the job and you can easily ruin the finish of the guitar from a minor accident, parts get spoilt when heated too long or incorrectly.

People think it's just something you can scan thru a few webpage and you can do it. Unless you have it in your genes as a electronic freak, or it's years of research, trial and error, and lots of money to invest to learn.

Although I started fixing guitars a couple of years ago, I have being doing electronics since my secondary days which is more than 15yrs of experience, and I don't boast to be close to the best either. All this is link to my skill to repair amps, tube amps, computer monitors, electronic power supply......etc.

Yes it's a whole different set of skill requiring life long learning process. Just like guitar playing.....think about it.

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

maybe mikemann can conduct a short course for members who are interested in this? 8)

:) :) Hee....hee.....Maybe when I am tired of repairing full time.....eh could be 20yrs down the road..... I still young lah......just 31 now.

I not that good too.....I not think amp guru status I will attain anytime soon. Still in the learning process. But since I started repairing amp & gits about 1.5yrs ago, I think I'd have gone thru about 400-500 cases so far.

Track record wise I can safely put it that I can recover about 90% of the cases.

Which is much better than my monitor repair track record, of about 30-50%. CRT monitors are more complex and more possible beyond economical cases. I have being repairing monitors for 10yrs or so, maybe about 3000-5000 cases experience on hand.

Thus gits and amps wise is better to do, but only thing is that the market is very small here. So it's still just my sideline.

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

its not tt my guitar is spoilt or anyting. i jus wanna pick up a new skill.. tt y im lookin for ppl to guide me..

The sad fact in Spore is that nobody have that kind of time. Same with me, I don't even have the time to complete my jobs in time......so how to teach. I am largely if not totally self taught, so it's the same.

I give you a tip, it's where I started too. Certain CCs have basic electronics course, VERY CHEAP to start from there. It's related to what you need. Again, its how you yourself want to progress, and how you absorb what you learn and link it to repairing guitar electronics.

Again I must emphasise, it's very time consuming like picking up another kind of musical instrument. You won't gain if you quit halfway.

With a modicum of intelligence you can teach yourself through various manuals; but you do need :

1. time
to experiment

2. some funds
to fund the various projects

3. learn how to do PCBs yourself

Working against you is the fact that there is no general culture for you to go test your gear or compare it to various things out there..
you could try the various CC jams I here are happening to hook up...

look up Hoffman amps, Torres engineering, and London amps in Ontario; they have various material in print, and kits to get you started. David Funk of thunderfunk amps has a good series of books.

Yup,what mike say is tru'.Patience and the right attitude is important.I just came back from state in a guitar factory workshop & been doing this area(including electronics) for over 15years.I learn at lot of things esp.on guitar building,fabrications,bla,bla.....maybe tired already....:mrgreen:
Don't worry la,nowdays online is available not during last 20 yrs ago is very cumbersom & limited knowledge base...
Now currently on a freelance basis and finding a job.

Dolwood

Roland d50 - static noise

Hi, I need help here.
I just got a Roland D50. But I have a problem here. Everything works fine except I keep getting electrical static " tiak tiak tiak" noise randome time.
I notice the previous owner terminated the internal power point and went directly to joint the wire for the sockets wire.
However I am still not sure if thats the reason that causes all the random static noise.
Can anyone advice me.

thanks

:) :) Hee....hee.....Maybe when I am tired of repairing full time.....eh could be 20yrs down the road..... I still young lah......just 31 now.

I not that good too.....I not think amp guru status I will attain anytime soon. Still in the learning process. But since I started repairing amp & gits about 1.5yrs ago, I think I'd have gone thru about 400-500 cases so far.

Track record wise I can safely put it that I can recover about 90% of the cases.

Which is much better than my monitor repair track record, of about 30-50%. CRT monitors are more complex and more possible beyond economical cases. I have being repairing monitors for 10yrs or so, maybe about 3000-5000 cases experience on hand.

Thus gits and amps wise is better to do, but only thing is that the market is very small here. So it's still just my sideline.

Regards,
Mike
Mikemann Music Studio

well i mean you sound like you know your stuff,you see i have this
87' Lee Jackson poweramp and it seems to be giving alot of interference with my preamp.

would you know anything on fixing this,id surely like to send it to you :mrgreen:

hey
i have been playing the guitar for quite some time now.. im very interested to go more indept. i would like to learn how to wire a guitar.both passive n active. i would also like to learn the basics of repairing amps n effects pedals too.. i dunno any place tt teaches such stuff. anyone here noes where i can learn stuff. im willing to pay a price if im offered sumting like a course or sumting..

thanks for helping guys!

Get Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book. The easiest and safest way to learn is to practice on scrap.

And wiring a guitar is the easiet and most fun part of building a guitar. (Certainly easier than finishing the guitar or fret work.) Ahh... the smell of hot solder. You just need to know how to solder. Again, practice on old pots and switches. Do it repeatedly for an hour and you'll be good. Schematics for wiring a guitar can be found easily anywhere. I always refer to the seymour duncan website.

Of course you'll have to buy the proper equipment and read up abit. That cost money. If you are only going to do it once then take it to a tech. But if you are the experimenter, then its definitely worth your while to learn how to do it.

Enjoy modding your own gear. Its cheap (just parts cost) but more importantly extremely fun.

Latest posts

Back