traveling and music

koala

I am seeking your advice...

I travel often, and I have decided to seriously learn keyboard... but when I travel how to do?

Should I go for something very small and plug into my laptop?
Should I go for a compact keyboard in 61 keys?
Should I buy second hand or new?
What is more reliable and supports some shocks?
other suggestions and remarks?

Any brand and model in mind... I am not yet rich... and I am not schedule to become rich this year... so, affordable too...

Thanks in advance for your input,
Koala

I travel often, and I have decided to seriously learn keyboard... but when I travel how to do?

Should I go for something very small and plug into my laptop?
- sure, why not
- how about this:
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr1.html

Sadly, it's not available in Singapore,but if you travel alot, you might see it overseas.

- if you are not too picky, Fruity Loops allows you to use your laptop keyboard to play back notes.

Should I go for a compact keyboard in 61 keys?
- sorry, so such keyboard to my knowledge

Should I buy second hand or new?
- it is up to you.

What is more reliable and supports some shocks?
- most of the branded keyboards are reliable but don't forget, these are min-keyboards are not meant to be thrown around.

brand and model in mind... I am not yet rich... and I am not schedule to become rich this year... so, affordable too...
- see above

jk

edirol mini solution...

Thanks for the answer, but like everybody who looks for advice, I expect the advice to guide me to something I like... and the 2 octave Edirol keyboard... I can not say I like it...

I am more looking for something more mature... may not make a lot of sense, but buying is also a question of attraction... and I must say, I am presently attracted with something like the Korg X5D, Yamaha CS2X or the Alesis 6.2

I am not sure I can comfortably travel with that... but travelling with a 32 key midi controller does not excite me much...

Anybody who can help me on this?
Is there a possible solution in having a small, compact keyboard with nice sounds that can travel around and not look like having been choped from a higher model...?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Koala

Re: edirol mini solution...

>> but like everybody who looks for advice, I expect the advice to guide me to something I like... and the 2 octave Edirol keyboard... I can not say I like it...

- all I can say is that you don't think like most travelling musicians.

- I am also not omnipotent like God and cannot second guess what you like.

- I recommended the Roland because it has
a. nice sleek design (smaller than most if not all portable keyboard)
b. has a built in 24/96 interface (if you get a "normal" keyboard, you would have to get a separate audio interface, otherwise you have to sacrifice using softsynths because built in audio interfaces in laptops are not meant for ASIO use - there is a generic driver for this but it may not work though).

c. it is powered by USB - no seperate transformer needed. And not need to worry about Voltage incompatibility.
d. Midi interface through USB - don't have to get a separate interface
e. with the appropriate softsynth/softsampler, you can sound like a grand piano, violin, a Minimoog, an Oscar or whatever you fancy instead of being limited by the onboard sounds.

>> I am more looking for something more mature... may not make a lot of sense, but buying is also a question of attraction... and I must say, I am presently attracted with something like the Korg X5D, Yamaha CS2X or the Alesis 6.2

- you should preferable get something with serial or USB interface for Midi; otherwise, you will need a separate Midi Interface, adding on to the cost and bulk.

- not all new laptops have a serial port so watch out for this. But if your laptop is older, it may have this and you can interface the laptop and synth directly. Hint : look for synths with PC to host connections
(nope, the QS6.2 doesn't have this)(Yes, it's on the Korg X5D and the CS2X)

- there aren't many low end synths with a USB interface.

I am not sure I can comfortably travel with that... but travelling with a 32 key midi controller does not excite me much...

- then I hope you will get excited with a 61 key key board

- even the small Korg is 900.0 (w) x 254.2 (D) x 83.4(H) mm with a weight of 4.5 kg. Naturally it is very fragile so you will need to add a flight case and the weight would be easily doubled. A SKB flight case weighs almost 8kg by itself. I would not recommend the padded keyboard case if you are checking in your keyboard.

Total weight of keyboard + flight case = 12.5kg (before your luggage). I hope you are travelling in business or first class where they have high luggage weight allowance

- make sure that the AC power supply has universal capabilities (ie runs at 110/220V) otherwise you need to get a transformer.

- don't forget to factor in
a. insurance for the keyboard
b. travel insurance for yourself in case you sprain your back handling the keyboard.

- ps if you get an ordinary keyboard, you may need to get an audio interface.

- don't forget headphones unless you can put up with sounds from a laptop speaker.

jk

point taken... thanks

I appreciate your advice, which clearly classifies me in the dumb category, but with great politeness... I deserve it...

Lets try to summarize with honesty...

I am attracted by something which does not fit my real needs... and unless I accept some carrying problems, I should review my idea and become more reasonnable...

Point taken.

How many people would buy a Ferrari in Singapore if they could afford it? Does that make sense and makes Ferrari an appropriate car for a 90km/h max road system?... would they change their point of view because it is absurd?...

I would not buy a Ferrari... but still suffers from the same weakness... nevermind the pain as long as the feeling is there... so, lets consider the keyboard advice...

Yes, I still have to put some limits... Alesis QS6.2 is heavy... even with no box. I could not find the CS2X weight, but it is longer. The size / weight less worse (to highlight the bad choice accepted a priori) would be the Korg... I have to verify if it fits in my luggage... that would avoid the first class ticket...

Any additional comment is still welcome... maybe some experience from other crazy people...

Thanks in advance,
Koala

hi koala

I think the Korg X5 is a good choice. Quite light too. I have one. :wink: But still I dont think I can travel lesuirely with it. :cry:

Dont have to buy.

If you want to learn to play the keyboard, maybe you can just check into a piano studio for a few hours of practise? You get the real thing.

:idea:

buying or not buying...

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the advices I got so far...

...ok, eventhough I am not likely to follow a lot of them... sorry.

Not buying...
Reasonnable, surely. I can always do as I do today, working on the reading and the notes on my computer, while I am abroad.
Avoids pain and risk of damaging the keyboard.
Always likely that I can find a studio and play...

Buying...
Keyboard is an attractive tool.
Increases the commitment to learning.
Avoids having to move around to find a studio.

A bit like a book...
Difficult to make a good choice because most have a reason to be called 'good'...
But I still rather buy and enjoy bringing them around when I travel, and aligning them on the shelf at home...

I would love somebody to tell me that I am normal... because your good advices start to make me feel a bit weird... to say the least...

Koala

kOALA,

You could consider the Roland RS5 as i found it to be the "lightest" for a 61-keys keyboard and its functionality as i lug it around doing shows frequently.

Soundwise it's running on staple Roland's bread N butter XV engine. FYI, some of the demos for ah do and YZ are done using onlt this engine. More advantage it's the size and weight. Always brings me a smile whenever i lug it into a cab or into my mini car.

There have been someone selling this unit cheap on the net. Depending on your luck, you could get one around $500-700 for a used set now.

Hope that helps.

mike

RS5 reviews

Thanks a lot, seems to add one more possibility to my list... RS5, X5D and CS2X... though for RS5 and CS2X i could not find the precise dimensions and weight...

Will surely need a bit more time, but i start to have a strong idea of what i will go for...
Koala

Koala,

X5D has a rather old soundset for my opinion.

The CS2X is a good buy if u are into tweaking. i myself own a CS1x and it's really amazing what i can do to the synth.

Best is you do your homework wisely anf dun go into compulsive buying like i always do, then regreat later...haha!

Latest posts

Back