Tips on getting a bass

mus

Hey,
anyone can share tips on getting a bass?
any good brands u recommend?
I was considering the LTD, Yamaha and Ibanez. Are they good choices?

Thanks

Hi mus,

I personally think that Yamaha and Ibanez basses are good basses. But ultimately what is the budget you are looking at? Personally i'm using a Yamaha bass and i really love my bass. Changed the pickups recently to Seymour Duncan active pickups. Oh one great advantages of Yamaha basses is their weight, definitely light enough to carry comfortably for hours.

If your budget is pretty good probably can look at Fenders if not so high then probably can look at Squier by Fender. Both basses have great playability. Hope all this helps. :D

God Bless,
Jeffrey

i do agree with sunnybass... yamaha basses are good.. im using a rbx374 though.. nice price for good playability.. if you have the money consider the BB series too, check out luther for the price though.. they give more competitive prices.

sunnybass any pickups to recommend by the way? =X

yamaha basses defintely have good playability and they put out good quality mid-ranged instruments. other worthy notes would be Carvins..

i'd never buy a Sammick, call it snobbery.. haha

Hi Sunnybass,
Thanks for your tips.

Does a good sounding bass have to do with any amps?. Any recommendations?.

Anyone else care to share?

Actually, I'm posting behalf of my brother, he plays bass. I pity him not having a good bass with a good sound. He has the skill though.

Any other techinques in bass other than "popping" and 'pulling'?

Hey,

Do take a look at Ibanez basses, not only do they sound great for their price range .. they have a whole range of amazing basses that suits almost all genres of music. Take a look at their SR series or GSR if your budget a bit the tight. I wouldn't really recommend LTD because my personal experience has been that it is recognized as a metal bass guitar. if you want an all rounded instrument .. get either a Yamaha, Ibanez, Squier, Cort, Rira at Guitar Workshop, Vantage at Davis, OLP at Davis, Brice if you have the money, Rickenbacker if you have the money and of course Fender if you have the money.

Few things to consider:

Are you going to play for leisure or you want to join and band and be a rock star? if you are playing for leisure get a lower range bass first until you progress to a higher stage then get a better one. If a rock band, get a higher end one would do fine and it'll sustain you for a while.

Wood material plays an important role in defining the "sound" of your instrument. Certain woods will have some kind of reaction to sound and how it projects the acoustics itself. Beginner guitars will either use solely basswood or Agathis as their body wood. Maple neck and rosewood finger board is a more common option, just that how high quality is the wood itself.

Normal mid-range/user-oriented gutiars will have alder/ash bodies along with it. E.g. Fender bass guitars or whatsoever jazz/p bass copy.

Strings, how many strings do you want? Standard is a 4-string, that is what i would recommend initially, if later on you want to add more strings you can do so.

Style of music, whether you play metal, funk, blues, jazz, country etc. .. determine your MAIN style/genre of music and then select according. usually alot of basses are made to be all-rounded. But some basses are built specially for metal/rock/blues/jazz etc. Do your research.

Don't rely on what the sales people tell you at the store, sometimes they are just as blur as you and may give you the wrong info. If you have more experienced friends who play the bass/guitar/drums, ask them to follow you down and try out the bass guitars or ask them for recommendations.

Understand the philosophy of the manufacturers themselves, it helps you understand what kind of "heart" is in the built of the bass themselves, a bit cheem, if you dont' understand can skip.

At the end of the day, TRY THEM OUT. You can't expect to buy a guitar that you haven't really tried out before unless you are seriously sure about it. I made that mistake once and i really dowan anyone else to make that same mistake as i did. It cost me quite a fair bit of time and hair and lots of headaches along with it. =)

Let your ears be the judge and dont' be afraid of asking to keep trying things out if you are serious. in the customer service line, they HAVE to let you try ... you can always go for the 4K basses in the Swee Lee showroom .. =) .. if not the ones outside do fine but work within your budget ..

Hope that helps, if anyone wants to know more about wood materials, and neck and pickups stuff .. feel free to PM me and i'll be more than happy to explain the characteristics of certain woods and stuff ..

P.S. BTW, yamaha bass guitars are not all that light, i use to own a BBN5A and it was HEAVY LIKE ANYTHING MAN. Nearly broke my neck. Even in a Warwick softcase when i carry it around it weighs like a hardcase!

"great" is a relative term :l

Anyway to me Ibanez basses are great if you're looking for a modern sound; Yamaha is great if you're looking for something more middle of the road that can go both ways depending on how you do your EQ.

Also, you can try looking for lobang at Cash Converters to buy guitars/basses from... I know the Ronin bassist got his from cash converters on the cheap :p

yea i saw a yamaha bass at amk going for 175.. pretty light and cosmetics i'll say prolly 9/10.. but i heard ppl say u can't test the guitars there.. not sure how far true though..

exin said:
P.S. BTW, yamaha bass guitars are not all that light, i use to own a BBN5A and it was HEAVY LIKE ANYTHING MAN. Nearly broke my neck. Even in a Warwick softcase when i carry it around it weighs like a hardcase!
+1938237436
Cannot tahan the weight of those BBs man.

superkicky said:
"great" is a relative term :l
Also, you can try looking for lobang at Cash Converters to buy guitars/basses from... I know the Ronin bassist got his from cash converters on the cheap :p

yeah. fscking rickenbacker, retail cost would be like 3000+ shipping etc etc.

which idiot sells a rickenbacker to cash converters I don't know

what ibanez bass would you recommend for alternative/rock music. like slow music? not hard rock. haha. funk factor should be minimal?

visa said:
ibanez basses got no personality >_>

i beg to differ .. like what superkicky said .. i know that when i said "great" it's really generic .. alright .. here's my breakdown of what i think Ibanez basses sound more like .. they like what superkicky said .. sound really modern and it's applicable to many modern sounds of rock, metal, blues, funk .. if you want that Fender tone forget it man .. unless you go change pickups, other than that, Ibanez's have an excellent modern tone for their price-quality ration.

To Visa, i used to think the same way you did until i tried out an Ibanez for myself .. i was totally blown away. I mean, you can always stick with your view, nothing wrong cos it's a personal thing, but for me, i'd always trust Ibanez for life.

You'll be surprised .. their GSR series are the best-selling series in the world ..

exin said:
sound really modern and it's applicable to many modern sounds of rock, metal, blues, funk .. if you want that Fender tone forget it man .. unless you go change pickups, other than that, Ibanez's have an excellent modern tone for their price-quality ration.

To Visa, i used to think the same way you did until i tried out an Ibanez for myself .. i was totally blown away. I mean, you can always stick with your view, nothing wrong cos it's a personal thing, but for me, i'd always trust Ibanez for life.

You'll be surprised .. their GSR series are the best-selling series in the world ..

that's what I meant when I said no personality, one modern tone that applies to all? I mean, it's cool I guess but it's not my cup of tea.

I never said it wasn't good. I've tried ibanezes before and they truly are awesome, and yep you can trust Ibanez for life.

But still... kinda boring to me.

Best selling in the world = also equates to very common = also equates to genericness, no?

I mean, that's my logic behind my statement.

sorry...abit OT here,where to get rickenbacker ah? i only know that we can only import it from jap,no rick's dealer here

rickenbacker's a pretty $$ bass dude. hard to find too. the last (cheapest) one i saw was on yahoo online. the guy was selling it at $1.5k

Latest posts

Back