The piano , an instrument for the rich?

DoubleBlade said:
whaoooooo it took you only 6 years to get to grade 8???? Impressive....
this depends on the teacher whether willing to teach to give you a big lift, if not, normally they want to earn your money grade by grade!

like i mentioned, it's a music education industry by itself!

tany said:
because piano has all those stuff that u cant learn on your own, like how to count etc, unless ur a prodigy.
oh yes, true but there are people who can do it.

Julian Lennon, son of John Lennon, is one celebrity
who taught himself to play the piano.

But where is he now???
Too late for goodbye,
Valotte, Saltwater... where is this guy??? *sigh*

he inherited a portion of John Lennon estate, so no need to work lo?

i always thought violin was the instrument for the rich.
not only it looks classy. its f-ing difficult.

DoubleBlade said:
How far would you agree with the above statement?

Basically what I feel is that this is a common misconception that the piano is often associated with the rich. A generalised statement in fact...

you are talking about grand piano?
Of course it's for the rich only. If you stay in HDB flat, how can you bring it in? :lol:

if you manage to put it in the house, it will easily be taking up the space of your living room.

dahlia said:
i always thought violin was the instrument for the rich.
not only it looks classy. its f-ing difficult.

ya violin is definitely for rich and classy...i have a friend who has a violin he bought for 12k!!! WTF??? that's 4 gibson LPs!!! :lol:

my friend bought a second hand one for less than $100 :D
I guess same thing as guitar lah, some cost a lot, some cost quite cheap

err....

a) the violin isn't that hard. but then i've been studying the violin since i was 4, so perhaps my perspective is askew.

b) like all instruments, violins range from cheap to expensive. my first violins were cheap, but my latest violin bow alone costs over $1k. so violins span the entire range from cheap to expensive and how much you spend on your violin (or any instrument for that matter) is a combination of both perspective and spending power.

just because one violin costs thousands and thousands doesn't mean all violins do. anyone can learn the violin no matter what their spending range is. it's just a matter of finding one within your budget.

no instrument is social-class exclusive.

Usually acousitc intruments tend to cost much more than their electronic counterparts mainly because of the amount of workmanship involved and the kind of materials used...

Like what my MEP teacher told me about 20 years ago - music is an expensive hobby. If you want to excel in it, there's no way it's going to be cheap.

I don't really know where this thread is heading. Anyway, when I learned the piano at 4, my parents weren't rich. We stay in a rented apartment. But still, they got a Kawai for me. Of course I can't afford the expensive piano - but at least I get to play the grand every week in my piano teacher's place.

I don't think the issue is rich or poor. The issue isn't about more skills involved in piano playing. All musical instruments require skills. Somebody mention the violin as difficult - well, it has 4 strings and a guitar has 6. The only different is the bow and the fingers - which I don't think makes playing the violin more difficult than the guitar. Same with the piano - guitar uses 2 hands and most of the 10 fingers - so does the piano.

I think eventually (and sadly), it all comes to image and market. You see and hear guitars everywhere in rock/pop or whatever music you have. If all the music scenes involves only keyboards and pianos, I'm pretty sure people will take up the keyboard/piano on their own without any problems. All musical instruments are the same - need determination, patience and practice. If everybody plays the keyboard, I'm pretty sure the price will also go down making it more affordable.

Of course, wind instruments are slightly different since it also depends whether the person's lips had the particular embouchre for a particular instrument.

I guess we have this impression that if we play an instrument for the first time and find it hard to play , we tend to generalise it as a "difficult instrument". Of course , when we pick up an instrument , we will find it hard to coordinate initially but once we get pass the basics through constant practice , you then start to think ,"hey it isn't so hard after all"

I too had an impression that the keyboard/piano is difficult to play and use to be amazed by kiddos as young as 7 years old making music on the keyboard/piano. dividing one's own concentration over 88 keys was like a nightmare to me but of course through constant practice , you'll soon find yourself getting past the hard part and progressing further with confidence

double blade, i realized you post alot abut the 'philosophical' meanings of piano, of music etc... i think perhaps it's wiser to channel such time into practicing more?

So that might explain why I always end up like this when I post stuff about keyboards and piano.

But I can assure you that behind all these philosophical threads going on , I still do practice rather than doing the usual "all talk no action"... :wink:

hahaha...nah I only compose new songs when I'm confident that I've reached my target for practice sessions for the week for whatever pieces my teacher gives me... :)

tany said:
wow...so did u go for the exam? yes it's freaking sian to keep playing the same pieces over and over again for one year, but no choice. i just want the certs only...i was forced to play piano, but kinda like it after sometime...

nope, didnt go. but i play the piano when i feel like it now so it isnt tat bad.

Back