starting electric guitar

cgmx2

hi, i started learning guitar few weeks back on my own and managed 2 play few songs. i m currently using acoustic guitar. i wanted to buy electric guitar, but i heard that u would need amplifier etc.

can any1 tell mi wad else do i need beside amplifier. i saw pple in jamming studios having some pedal tings, do i need them. can some1 tell mi wads the function of all this and basically wad do i need 2 buy besides the e guitar

sorry, i juz started guitar so all this terms may seem chim 2 mi

When you plug your electric guitar into the amplifier, clean sound. Like your acoustic sounding stuffs but not as natural. No chugs chugs like blink 182 or those rock bands you hear.

Pedals are the one that make you rock. Distortions, wah effects, basically pedals = effects. Effects to let you sound cool and not just cheng cheng C chord.

You need cables, guitar stand (optional). If you have pedals, more cables. You will know why when you have your 1st pedal.

Picks? Unless you play with fingers! Hmm, guitar bag? Most prolly 20 bucks?

If you wanna take good care of your guitar, and i recommend, spend like 20 to 30 to get those accessories to take care of it. String cleaner, guitar polisher, fret cleaner bla bla bla list goes on. I recommend you the jimdunlop GUITAR FINGERBOARD KIT. (optional :) )

Ok what did i miss?

Pedals, in my opinion, are rather redundant if you are just beginning to play. Just stick to the onboard distortion can ready. Prices vary for each pedal, some as cheap as $60+ or maybe even $30+ to $500 or even more. Or, you could invest in a multi-fx pedalboard later on.

I myself have a few pedals, but after playing for awhile I kinda prefer a crybaby just to add a little flavour to the solos(but of course not too much, coughcoughkirkhammettcoughcough).

Or no pedals at all.

boone said:
Pedals, in my opinion, are rather redundant if you are just beginning to play. Just stick to the onboard distortion can ready.

Agreed. If you're just picking it up and u've got a multieffects or some pedal it can really overwhelm you and you'll end up focusing on making funny sounds wif ur distortion units rather than playing well. just get a cheap practice amp with onboard distortion.

harlow...
ermm, you mind if i give you my opinion. i'd recommend that you continue playing and learning with your acoustic. you must be quite new to it coz u just know how to play two songs. get used to playing with all four fingers, memorise chords, scales, etc... just don't rush into it. dun worry, i know how it feels like. but hey, i'm not an expert in guitar though. i'm quite a noob myself. its ok if you want to get an electric. quite similar to an acoustic aniwae. but when you do get one, dun rush into the pedals and all the gears lah. start slow, then move up.

i'd say an electric guitar, an amp, a strap and a pick would be the main ones. oh yar, also get a digital tuner. if your into hardcore, punk or metal music, then you might want to get a distortion pedal, or juzz an amp with distortion innit.

hope this helps..
good luck to your future music making.. :D

haha thx for the help

btw wads onboard distortion, and in e guitar do we need 2 tune lyk acoustic???

anep said:
harlow...
ermm, you mind if i give you my opinion. i'd recommend that you continue playing and learning with your acoustic.

i agree with anep, i was playing my acoustic guitar for 2 whole years and practicing on chords on it for the whole time before i got my first electric guitar, i have no regrets, as acoustic strings have higher tension, it helps to train your fingers strength

and like the lame gibson advertistment, "no distortion to cover your ass", makes you want to play properly

+1 on playing well on a acoustic first...

strumming , changing chords... some finger work ...etc...
all make you a better player. Some techniques i learnt in my first years i still use today... so its a good thing to practise on acoustic.

if you gonna get an electric guitar.
number 1 thing you need.
money.

for the guitar itself
amp , strap , picks and strings.
this will set you back anything from 800 to $10,000 and more...
so be prepared.

for the guitar itself
amp , strap , picks and strings.
this will set you back anything from 800 to $10,000 and more...
so be prepared.

come on.. tt's exagerating.. 2nd hand entry level set 200 - 300 sufficient already man..

there are starter packs which cost as low as $150.

starter packs come usually with the guitar, 10 watt practice amp with onboard distortion, strap, picks, extra strings.

anything more's a bonus.

and i think this is more than enough to get you started. unless you have too much extra cash to spare :lol:

Back