Smarvos?

Hey guys, saw a lot of you peeps talking abt Smarvo amps. Are they really good? The price of a 100 watts smarvo amp is abt 400 500?

Think i saw a few at ranking sport.

Bang for the buck baby. Just gotta tweak it good.

Pros: Loud, decent low end, decent EQ
Cons: I think no effects loop

oh... mmm well if its for home practise its ok rite? mmm what watters u guys recommend? i live in hdb so.. 100 watters i think is out? =/

Not sure about the bass amps but their transistor combo guitar amps start at $190 for the 40w 1x12" version and about $420 for the 100w 2x12" version. The transistor 200w half stack goes for about.. 600 odd, the tube 100w half stack goes for about 900 odd. Mike carries them. I got the 40 watter myself and it definately sounds better than a Marshall 15CDR for around the same price, probably due to the 12" speaker.

i'm really a newbie at this but..how would a 15 watt amp sound?? as in would increasing the watts naturally increase the volume or jus increase the range of the volume so u get a wider choice..or if i've totally got it wrong pls explain...

Normally a 15watt amp will be fitted with an 8inch speaker. Loudness can depend on the brand, some will sound very loud, while others you will have to max out for it to be loud. Price does play an important part. Although it's small, most of the 15watts are still loud enough for you to disturb your neighbours to call the coppers.

Loudness is not proportional, more a logarithmic curve. So don't expect a 30watter to be twice as loud as the 15watt one. It will be noticably louder, but just so only.

Ok, for guitar amps the more important thing is the speaker size. Standard sizes are (4", 6.5"), 8", 10", 12". The reason why you will find that you can more easily sound more close to your favourite guitarist on a 12" speaker, is because most of the songs are recorded on a 12" style amp. It does not mean that you cannot get good tone on a 8" or 10" speaker.

Therefore people normally progress into a 12" setup sooner or later. The good thing about transistor amps (most modern amps are transistor) is that they will give good tone even in low volume settings. So you don't need to worry about no being able to crank enough to get that good tone on a tube amp, so as not to disturb your family or neighbours.

Thats' why for the Smarvo brand amp having a 12" 40watts model selling at only $190 is really one of the best deals around.

I like mine (40watt), but I only use the clean channel and then use my sd-1 to drive it. The distortion channel doesn't sound that good to me. I think it is a marshall clone.. sounds most like the marshall in Guitar Rig software.
It's a good buy, no regrets buying it.

Pier.

lppier said:
I like mine (40watt), but I only use the clean channel and then use my sd-1 to drive it. The distortion channel doesn't sound that good to me. I think it is a marshall clone.. sounds most like the marshall in Guitar Rig software.
It's a good buy, no regrets buying it.

Pier.

Must u crank the volume up to get a good tone? Say 9 o clock positioning of the volume, can get a good sound?

As I've said before. Most transistor amps DO NOT require you to crank up the volume to get a "better tone". The tone should be largely consistent.

The distortion/lead channel is normally built in these days bacause the demand is so for it. But your amp can only produce it's own kind of distortion sound. So the more important thing is to have an amp with a decent usable clean channel sound.

Distortion sound is very subjective, there is many version of distortion sound, some suit for song A but sucks for song B. The distortion channel is there for your convinence only (though many pros actually rely on their amps lead channel for performance or playing).

You should have some good effect pedals to play around with for the sound you want.

Latest posts

Back