Setting up a home studio

faramir90

Hey people!

Im thinking of setting up a studio at home.

My budget is around 50-100.

Anyone has any advice where I can start from?

You just need to grab Reaper FM as your DAW. US$40. Grab whatever mic you can find to record. Of cable too. Download IK multimedia Sampletank, Kontact player or whatever free soft synth/instrument + lot of free effect plug-in.

My gears involve a hd videocamera,h2,midi controller/synths, edrumset,guitar/bass amps,mics,cables,stands,vocal shield,preamp,2 audio interfaces,headphones,laptop/desktop,daw.originally 10k video/audiorecording/mixing/composition production setup but bought a $4k guitar processor recently. All very fully operational and the result speaks for itself. started from the humble $50 recording setup in 1998. The rest about having acoustically treated studio will definitely rack up to 50k - 100k. Home anymore? Probably not.

I start with a pair of omni mic and a DAT portable recorder to record orchestra and my music lesson. Later on do not use them due to work and lose interest. I started to play and later work on audiophile which later on built up knowledge on room, electrical,speaker design which these knowledge is helpful in home studio. Due to interest shift, I start with workstation keyboard and build a small home studio. Got mic ranging from $175-$800, but I seldom record. Mainly do vocal mixing and music arrangement, after that is firing up my favourite song and video for enjoyment. Next I wanna add two huge round studio trap and place at outer side of my monitor to redirect the reflection, but no money.

LOL...

Depends on how far one wants to go. Money and room space are typical limits.

I won't go as far as to say I've got a home studio. A humble and comfortable setup to make music out of software DAWs and synths on a PC.

Using my 2.1 PC speakers for listening, two keyboard controllers (25 and 61 keys), a drum pad controller, a firewire audio interface.

The hardware cost quite a bit.

Hi faramir90

You could help us understand better by telling us what you would like to use your home studio for? Recording bands or recording single instrument?

Also, what do you already have? Any speakers, microphone, computer?

List out as detailed as possible.

to administrator, for my set up on a hm studio, i hv a cubase 5, 2 x mini for monitors, a headphone, a guitar, bass, kb 37 for midi and as a soundcard, a zoom g2.1u for effects and soundcard. will all dat do? can advice? thanx.

If you already have all these, what do you feel is lacking?

Ah, do you have a microphone?

home studio

50-100 dollars to setup a studio is not realistic, its impossible.
1. You need a laptop of computer,
2. you need a mic,
3. you need a mixer,
4. Speakers or headphones
if you got speakers you need to think about getting some foam to stop the echo and shit.
I think you need about 1000 dollars to get everything you need for a totally basic studio setup.

Hi faramir90

You could help us understand better by telling us what you would like to use your home studio for? Recording bands or recording single instrument?

Also, what do you already have? Any speakers, microphone, computer?

List out as detailed as possible.

Hey James.

I have nothing besides my computer and Im unsure what sound card Im using either. I do have instruments though. Just lacking any recording gear.

faramir90, what would you be recording? Solo instrument or band with live drums?

faizal77 : > for my set up on a hm studio, i hv a cubase 5, 2 x mini for monitors, a headphone, a guitar, bass, kb 37 for midi and as a soundcard, a zoom g2.1u for effects and soundcard. will all dat do? can advice? thanx.

http://tinyurl.com/diyrecording
so far you can only record guitars/bass. and no vocals or anything that requires a microphone. but yes all is good to go
guitar > kb37 (it has amp simulation also right? so your zoom g2.1u may not be required) > usb > computer.
make sure your computer is well maintained.

Angel M : 50-100 dollars to setup a bedroom studio is very possible.
1. You need a laptop or computer - in the year 2011, almost everyone has iphone, so lets remove the possibilities of not having a desktop. I got a whole new desktop computer for free from someone who ditched it and bought an ipad / netbook/laptop. and I got my current recording laptop from signing up with starhub years ago. it's not "free" but there're many ways to attain it free just need to live with it if you wanna scrimp and save. and you would need to learn how to do computer hardware assembly/maintenance to successfully salvage.
2. you need a mic - Guide : DIY Recording Under $50
3. you need a mixer - http://tinyurl.com/diyrecording you need a cost effective audio interface with an onboard preamp. or just my guide in 2. above retailing from the unwanted 2nd hands of others who has upgraded to better stuff.
4. Speakers or headphones - I use audio technica ATHM30s $60. I have many old behringer ones which I gave/threw away in the past.people can also do recording using iphone earphones. it's not new these days.
5. around $1200 for a basic recording studio setup to be more specific. Review : Zoom R16 + Wharfedale KMD-7 , r16 - $470 / kmd7 mics $340 estimate. xlrcables x 7, 1/4" cables x 2 , headphones, headphone amps.

faramir90 : you read Guide : DIY Recording Under $50 ?

Band with live drums I think. Looking forward to recording my band's first demo.

@Ron Yupp. I sure did. Which is why I started this thread to get more opinions.

Last edited:
Back