serious musicians?

just wondering how many of u are serious musicians?

• just a teenage hobby, will get over it when work or marriage comes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • still wondering...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

when it comes to seriousness, i think it all boils down to yourself.

what's your bottomline? then ask yourself: can i commit?

think it applies to most aspects of life.

stars said:
artistes such as sun yan zi or other popular mandrin acts regularly go platinium , 20,000 or 30,000 CDs within a month

i mean we already have sun yan zi they all as examples that local can still make it big in other countries, but where do english bands go to? where is the market? chinese and malay bands i believe stands a higher chance to make it to superstardom status as those markets are larger in asia :?

chinese market is like what ? erm approximately 1.4 billion. (greater china : china, HK , taiwan , macau)

malay market is still sizeable , about maybe 250 million ?

ur missing my point ! my point is that even though some artists may be international based e.g sun yan zi / ayumi hamasaki , but even then a large proportion of their following still comes from their domestic homebase.

chinese music maybe able to go far in singapore some day as it is able to tap into a market far far beyond the wildest dreams of any venture capitalist. its pretty unique as your domestic fan base is almost all the chinese people who speak chinese.

wheras in singapore... hmmz whose going to support Singapura-rock ? is there a market worthy enough for investment here ? its too small

its a vicious cycle.

no market = not many bands ever taste superstardom = insufficient local support

when no local support / interest in rock = no market ?

c the drift ?

chinese music from singapore has always been famous , look back again to the 60s and 70s , singapore had many famous local singers who made it big in the SEA reigion market of malaysia , hong kong and taiwan.

hmmm.. i get your point, but everything have to start off from somewhere, if this doesnt work, we can always start out in overseas like that sun yan zi.

well back to the topic, i hope there are still many people dreaming to be a star

Ok ... first reply to 3 notes a bar ....

I started a band with Simon .... and we named it Blyss ... we used to write light alternative tunes ... then he went hard core and I couldn't follow.

Then i started another band with Jenn who was also from Blyss ... and we called it Figtree ... jenn and i wrote most of the songs ... i was the musical control freak.

As i said ... my family can hardly survive ... struggling to maintain our roof and i am pursueing a part time degree while working in the Navy. It's really hard .... and i hardly have time. But what the hell ... if i dun do it now ... i will find myself growing old and yet still surviving with no achievements at all. So i hope to find a band i can play with .... what's your influence 3 notes?

Now star ... i totally recognise your statistical point .... even though our very own domestic chinese pop stars are internationally established .... the majority of their fanbase still comes from their home ground itself. But the point about being musician is not to get to where they are .... so regardless whether local bands can make it out there or not ... we will still make music ... as long as there are Musicians in singapore who truly loves music .... the blood line of local bands will continue to run ....

If the primary purpose of being musician is to get famous ... I rather join a boyband .... maybe 5566 would be good .. haha!!

Well, one thing about music, you MUST have fun!
It's not gonna be enjoyable if money is going to be on your mind all the time yeah?
But draw up your commitments, what's more important in your life?
Are you going to let your family starve? Blah blah blah.
Yeah.

Music is my no.1 hobby. But it'll never be more than a hobby. My forte lies elsewhere and it will be a waste not to pursue it.
But I'm not gonna abandon music when I start working, have a family etc. It has given me too much for me to let go.

balance ...

I beleive all of us here will more or less know what we want and what we need. We all have different sets of wants and needs and each will weigh how much one will need to get what he wants.

It's possible to balance between work and passion .... well i can never deny my needs ... family and responsibilities .... i need that to survive ... if i cant survive ... how to pursue passion? The sad this is, Singapore is not eay place to survive .... our economy is plummeted mostly through human resource ... which is us ... so we have to be drivin very hard to work efficiently.

But having said that .... it's still possible to pursue music ... one has to weigh how successful a career can be .... or how much satisfaction one desires through passion ... i guess that's what makes us humans all so different ... there is no right or wrong ... just difference.

Well ... when i my own kids ... i will make them pursue their own passsion ... i make sure i grow old independantly so that they don't have to worry about feeding another oldman ... then they will be free to go ... :)

guitarman78 said:
Now star ... i totally recognise your statistical point .... even though our very own domestic chinese pop stars are internationally established .... the majority of their fanbase still comes from their home ground itself. But the point about being musician is not to get to where they are .... so regardless whether local bands can make it out there or not ... we will still make music ... as long as there are Musicians in singapore who truly loves music .... the blood line of local bands will continue to run ....

agreed totally. Music is a passion , beyond a hobby.what is life without music ? to entertain or be entertained. its not about profit or a career or superstardom

but i really feel that the best of our bands are relative nobodies even at home and even if they are darned good.

e.g B quartet , Ronin , Electrico , Enhorted. ask anyone off the street and likely they dont even know these great local bands.

its a crying shame.

i not so crazy about being in a great band anymore...guess the novelty wore off over time. Neither am i seeking to be some great guitarist anymore, now at most also dream of playing in a very good band to many ppl, but no need attention on me. Dunno why, ever since i started my fishkeeping hobby, i not so enthu already...someone save my musical future? :oops:

Music can be anything to anybody. An obsession, passion, distraction, hobby, habit, or just noise. I hate to say this but, whatever level a musician is at, be it really talented and skilled, or just bedroom musicians, we have to realise that we are in Singapore, not the US of A or some parts of Europe. I"m not saying bands have it easy there, and they all have golden spoons in their mouths. But what do we have here? Is there an industry and a market? Its hilarious how we have so many recording studios in Singapore, when so many bands hardly make money. Does anybody see how the scales tip so awkwardly here? So many years now.

I offer no solution sorry. I'm just a musician. Best way i see is to move out of this god-forsaken country. The rich can just keep their money and let the poor get poorer. woohoo?

Back to the topic of 'Serious Musicians'...Anyone has parents here who think being a musician isn't 'real work'? This pretty much pertains to the amount of regard music and musicians get here. How many have a regular income? I sure know all of us pay taxes... I'm not ranting.

Speaking of regular, music as a career is anything but regular. 1) Its special (for now), 2) Sometimes musicians really dont get paid at all. 3) When we're not working, we still work (practice songs, rehearsals). I think its a fun-version of workaholism. Sleepy...

I'm definitely full out serious for making music a full time thing in the future. Nothing beats enjoy something you love the most, and still get paid doing it.

i just chanced upon tis thread, its the future already, hows everyone doing with their musical career?

This thread was dug and raised from dead after 7 long years. I bet some of these kids who voted have already changed their hobbies or priorities in life. Haha! :)

Back