Rusty strings

its an oily ...substance...

my strings also last about a week if i play/jam heavily.
before every gig also... its a must to change strings...

string usage quite high...
anyone got lobang for dean markley signature series 9-46?

String oxidation has always been a problem with our tropical climate, its is much better in drier temperate countries.

I'm a convert to DR extra life coated strings and never looked back. The coating will dull the tone very slightly, but the advantage of not rusting more than make up for it. And because of that, lead playing can be easier because of the smooth sliding feel. Not cheap but save more money on the long run.

What's the point of having tone for a few days and it just dulls to nothing with normal strings.

smooth meh the DR strings?. ... i blindly followed the hype..went to davis and bought a box.. 10 pkts... i put on one set and next day i exchanged the 9 pkts for my usual dean markleys..
the sound wasnt sparkling even though it was a spanking new set of strings... and was very rough to the touch.. the dean markleys and GHS boomers are much smoother.. and give brighter tone...

but thats imo la..

the best to me r still d'addario xl strings. cheap n feel fantastic. only prob is requires to clean after playing to extend string life. i feel tt coated strings r a waste of money. expensive n it 'dies' out as fast as de usual strings. the only string which really lasts r elixirs. but they too cost a bomb.

Give the new anti rust elixirs a shot :) If you're concerned bout coating dulling the strings, the nanowebs are even brighter than alot of normal roundwound strings out there.

what do u guys think about the GHS boomers? they feel like cheap strings to me...i tried it once and it rusted after 1 month...worst than my electro harmonix.

to chanmin: if i'm not wrong maestro has the cheaper batch of deanmarkley

btw just to check with ppl who use coated strings..is the feel way different?like way smoother or more or less similiar to regular strings...

hofner said:
what do u guys think about the GHS boomers? they feel like cheap strings to me...i tried it once and it rusted after 1 month...worst than my electro harmonix.

Been using GHS for a while now, and i don't think it's that bad. Quite good actually. Good tone out of it.

yea i agree wif that too. used to go for all sorta strings.....but now i use sub zero boomers. sweaty palms sucks big tim eh, i gota wipe my strings really often, sometimes even in the middle or practising. just to make sur ethey dont corrode fast. especially the last time when i used to use ernie balls, super fast corrsion.

i used to be a big fan of cryogenic strings, namely Blue Steel (Dean Markley) & Sub Zero (GHS). they cost a tad more but they last longer than non-cryogenic ones. however, along the way, i feel that although these don't rust as easily, they feel dead after a few playing sessions, but aren't degraded enough to warrant a re-string. so these became passe to me...

for a longer-lasting set, i use the coated DR strings, they have a protective overcoat which changes very little in terms of feel along the way as they don't react to moisture to give a rusty sensation.

i also use GHS Boomers, these are IMO very long lasting considering they aren't cryogenic/ coated.

Eh, yeah... Im using D addario now. Not too bad, smooth enuff.

Havent tried the DR ive bought. Really so bad meh? Wa liew.

yes..red packets..$5 at Davis..i use hand sanitizer everytime b4 picking up my baby..i practice this for a year plus already...y? after reading this:

Keeping Your Guitar Strings Clean and Bright

The crisp, bell-like tone of new guitar strings is unfortunately, for many of us, short-lived. This may be due to lack of proper string cleaning procedure, excessive humidity, or naturally acidic sweat, all of which cause the alloys used in string manufacturing to oxidize. This results in a "plonk" instead of a "zing".

Many players also have unrealistic expectations of how long a string should last. Most string manufacturers will tell you that strings really only sound their best for 4 to 10 hours of playing. This of course runs counter to their advertising claims but such is the nature of all consumer products. This means that if you play a lot, you may be changing your strings every week or every day depending on your tonal preferences. At between $7-$10 a pack this could get expensive, I hear you saying. Well, I guess that's true. However, think about what else you might be spending that much on in a week without batting an eye; cigarettes, a couple of pints in your favourite pub, a movie, a cab ride somewhere, a coffee or three at your local café… Of course there are some players that would prefer the sound of old, dead strings and that's just fine too. As long as their "tone concept" is not getting in the way of people enjoying their music.

There are also guitars which seem to only sound their best with a fresh set of strings. I have generally found the newer guitars, which tend to be "stiffer" than older, played-in guitars, need good strings to really project much sound. Many older guitars, particularly those that are lightly built, seem to sound great no matter how old the strings are. Go figure.

Here are some sample steps you can take to maximize the life of your strings: 1) Before playing, apply a dime-size drop of sanitizer and rub your hands together briskly. The sanitizer will not only kill whatever bacteria are hiding out in your palms but will also evaporate harmful oils which will dull strings. (You can buy a bottle of hand sanitizer in your local drug store). I recommend using this method over washing hands in soap and water because this tends to soften both the left hand calluses and right hand fingernails, two possible deleterious side effects. 2) When you're through playing, wipe the strings with a dry dish towel or my personal favourite, a cotton diaper. These make great polishing cloths as well. Really reef those strings - wrap the cloth around the string and go all the way along its length. You should see the dirt on the towel. 3)You may also want to try one of the commercially available products to clean and maintain your strings. The Kyser Capo people also offer Dr. Stringfellow String Cleaner and Lubricant, Lem-Oil for preserving your guitar's fingerboard and bridge, and polish for shining up your axe. "Fingergrease" spray and "Fast Fret" glide-on string lubricants also purport to protect the strings from corrosion. Lastly, even if you don't have a problem with prematurely dead strings you may experience tuning problems. That's because as you play strings they are wearing down where they mash against the frets. If you notice your guitar won't seem to stay in tune, and it's otherwise okay, try changing the strings. You may be pleasantly surprised.

thx audio for tt infomative text...wel i guess the best bet for the day is ghs boomers...$5 for long lasting string life...guess i should pick the right string before even thinking of prevention

Back