room in a room - glass in a glass

hongliang

Hello guys.. i am thinking of setting up a studio.. so i am wondering if a glass room in a glass room concept... basically for the ceiling and flooring, any comments on whether the soundproof quality would be good or sufficient?
thinking of using normal glass... and a proper design for a door to try to make it as air tight as possible.. possibly inbetween a spacer between the 2 glassed sheets...
Advice on materials or maybe stucture?
Any help on where to get the material would be helpful too...
sound treatment help would be good too.. even though it's more of sound proofing (blocking out of sound) help which i need more...
Anyone knows the difference in price of normal and double glazed glass?

all glass is not a good idea because glass is reflective and that will bounce your sound all over. :wink:

haha juz when i was abt to comment on the smooth walls that will reflect your sound waves terribly..

so reflection of sound is not v. gd eh?is tt y recording studios r carpeted n use soundproof wood on the walls?

glass is one of the worst materials for studio... hard and bouncy for sound waves. Should use sound absorbent materials..

oh

hmm.. thanks for the info... but wat if i line it up wif foams like aurolex type and bass traps and stuff like that.. do u think it would be feasable?

If you are lining it up with all the auralex stuff, then why use glass in the first place? I assume you wan glass because of asthetics, but if your are lining it up then DUH!!

Simply covering up with acoustic foam wont make much of a difference, as you will still have to deal with low frequency standing waves which the foam will not absorb. Bottom line is - small room + parellel walls + hard boundary surfaces = bad sound.

However, the techniques you described - room in a room - is a common technique used by recording studios to isolate their rooms, building a room on top of insulating materials inside an existing room, so the idea is there. Just no glass please. You'll get an idea of how that will sound like by sticking your head in a fishbowl and saying HELLO.

A more cost effective idea is for you to get some acoustic underlays, and build another floor, preferably of a carpeted material on top of that. After that, some stratigically placed acoustic foam will more or less solve your acoustic problems. Nice thick curtains would help for your windows too. :wink:

All the best!

Back