Rocktron: Metal Planet

subversion

352_image_med_Rocktron-Metal%20Planet.jpg

Rocktron Metal Planet
List: $115

The manufacturer’s goodwill lies in its ability to offer a range of far-reaching wares in the knowledge that variety will appease the diverse user needs. Effects titan Rocktron has an offering for the rabid distortion lovers in addition to its other drive assortments. The aptly named ‘Metal Planet’ is intended for players who embrace the upper levels of distortion, commonly known as ‘metal’ among us. Does this pedal hold true to its worldly label?

Build/ features
The Rocktron-inclined among us see the extruded aluminum chassis of the Metal Planet (MP) as a quality & dexterity assurance. The ribbed lower edge is a grip enhancer while the recessed control panel ensures an accident-free tweaking while the pedal is in use. Unlike its other drive/ distortion counterparts, the MP features a mixture of chicken head control knobs (poultry allusion is very un-metal, really…) & traditional rotary units which are stacked EQ controls, in this case. It seems that only the inner knobs of the EQ section are smooth in use, the rest could have been less stiff. The planetary graphics here are more celestial than aggressive; acquired taste this one.

If this is your first exposure to Rocktron pedals, please be informed that the PSU access is side located; it’s not missing, mind you…

All in all, the MP scores big in this department; it’s another no-nonsense incarnation from Rocktron.

Rating: 90%

Tone
What can one expect from a pedal which bears the ‘metal’ tag; sonic aggression, yes? It is rather disheartening to hear the MP lacking severely in saturated distortion, even when both LEVEL & DISTORTION controls are pushed to its maximum. Upon reflection, the manufacturer might have stuck to the ‘distortion’ tag very sincerely hence the drive restraint. For the MP to really live up to its labeled promise, a drive type booster is recommended.

The manufacturer’s foresight on the other hand, is simply the splendid EQ section on offer. With the ‘metal’ tag inherent in any pedal, there is this mindset that a midrange omission would be justice to the ware (metal = scooped EQ?) but that is not the case with Rocktron. The MID/ MID FREQ controls are glorious inclusions to ensure the proper sculpturing of the player’s tone should there be days where a non-metal voicing is required. The frequency sweep of each EQ band is also impressively wide. One can dial in opposite extremes with ease.

The MP in its entirety, does better with humbucking guitars. It doesn’t profess in a tone-thickening task unlike some other metal-type distortion units. Should you choose to employ it with a single coil pickup, make sure there is a post MP buffer (preferably an EQ pedal) to prevent your tone from sounding delicate & lacking adequate growl.

Tone test equipment:
• Guitars: Gibson LP Studio/ Ibanez RGR321/ Fender ST72
• Amps: Marshall MG15MSII/ Ibanez ValBee/ Marshall JVM

Rating: 70%

Conclusion
If you have a very metal expectation from the Metal Planet, in solitary use, it lacks the thunder; even Danelectro’s puny Black Coffee would dissolve this planet quite easily (in terms of distortion intensity). However, it’s an entirely different player once a mild drive-type booster is employed. There are a good number of us here who prefer a stand alone intense distortion rather than using one with another drive unit simply because we find the background hissing detestable. The EQ feature here is impressive but it’s nothing a BOSS Metal Zone cannot encompass. Do give the MP a personal audition to hear its hits & misses.

Overall rating: 74%

• EQ section

Dislikes:
• Distortion intensity- is this really metal?
• Chicken head knobs (please, not for this pedal…)
• Side located PSU access

hmmm.. i thought that the pedal sounded awesome to me..
it lacks the saturation brought about by other 'metal' pedals but still, its damn versatile!
just remove the 'metal' out of the planet and change the name to distortion planet or something and i bet your review would totally change. o_O

The real metal pedal from Rocktron I believe are the Silver Dragon and Zombie and hopefully sub will review them soon for us.

oh yeah.. there is a zombie!
i remembered trying it.. -_-
colour is a bit.. off if u know what i mean.. :wink:

in terms of intensity, the Metal Planet is sorely lacking but i bought one anyway because it sounds superb with a mild drive booster in the chain- using my Guyatone OD-2 in the mean time + i love the EQ section; Rocktron should offer likewise in their other drive pedals 8)

Back