Removing the gloss finish on your guitar.

Kwerty

Hi.

As mentioned in the topic, is there anyway I can do so? Is sanding the surface a advisable method?

FYI, my guitar is a lespaul and it has a maple top, I don't exactly like the gloss feeling so will sanding cause any damage to the maple in the long run? Thanks.

maple definately needs some kinda protective coating... not advisible to remove the lacquer fully...

if u dun like the gloss, err maybe u can try to use fine grade steel wool and gentally rub the gloss off but still leaving the coating on... this will give it a matt surface.

I see. Any idea where I can get the fine grade steel wool?

I'm just curious, what will happen to the maple top if I remove the gloss surface?

If u're really serious bout going through with this. What I recommend is to use 00000 grade steel wool to knock the gloss off. Lightly scuff the surface to remove the gloss, that's all u wanna do.

With 00000 grade wool, you won't be able to remove the lacquer completely anyway :mrgreen: You can get it from DIY stores like Homefix. They usually sell em in big bundles, under brands like Colron.

Remember to first remove your hardware, and esp the electronics. Steel wool is fine, so is dust from the lacquer. You won't want it getting into your pots and steel wool dust will get attracted to your pickup's magnets and it can be annoying to remove. Also, removing the hardware allows u to get to areas you wouldn't normally be able to reach, to give u a more even texture.

Lastly, this is largely an irreversible mod, and it would probably drop the resale value of your guitar to oblivion, so only go through with it if you are prepared to make a major loss when selling.

Btw, I recommend wet sanding to avoid scratch marks that can be too obvious.

Kwerty said:
I'm just curious, what will happen to the maple top if I remove the gloss surface?

Ever seen a maple fretboard that is not laccquered? Even seen what happens are a couple mths of playing? heh... thats what will happen. ;)

maple must be finished to prevent warping.

if ur maple has no finish on it, it warps fairly fast... though i've never seen a maple neck without finish anyway... :lol:

Erm, what I meant was the body's maple top.

@fretless6: Any idea how much one cost? So I guess the only bad point is the resale value huh? I don't exactly like the heritage sunburst look now, with lacquered top and without pickguard, it simply look.. weird.

Any idea how I can "beautify" it? I've looked around for decals, but it made it look more cartoon imo. And yes, I guess it kinda look cartoon now. (Got some friend to take pictures of me when I was on stage =S)

Kwerty said:
Erm, what I meant was the body's maple top.

@fretless6: Any idea how much one cost? So I guess the only bad point is the resale value huh? I don't exactly like the heritage sunburst look now, with lacquered top and without pickguard, it simply look.. weird.

Any idea how I can "beautify" it? I've looked around for decals, but it made it look more cartoon imo. And yes, I guess it kinda look cartoon now. (Got some friend to take pictures of me when I was on stage =S)

U dun have to worry bout the maple getting dirty or warping, watever. After u knock down the gloss, the finish is still there, just very finely scratched.

Also note that if u dun do a proper job, u'll end up with an uneven looking finish, with some areas more glossy than others. Are you sure the satin look is enough for you? If I were you, I would just sell it and get something I would like. I won't do something major like this unless I'm sure I know what I'm doing. :D

Latest posts

Back