refinishing supplies - stains/poly?

unsane

does anyone know where i can get refinishing supplies such as wood stains or minwax rub-on poly in singapore? most of the hardware stores carry a very limited range of stains and minwax products are unavailable here. ordering online is out as the stains and poly are classified at dangerous goods and cant be shipped by air to the best of my knowlege.

are there any equivalents for the minwax rub-on poly i can get? i found some similar polyurethane finishes but all are brush on and i'd rather get something rub-on for ease of application..

You can get poly finishes from hardware stores, i.e the brush on kind. Get some turpentine or spirt and mix a 50-50 ratio to get an acceptable rub on finish. There are variations to the ratios but 50-50 is a good place to start. I prefer to use marine vanish as it is flexible and won't crack after prolonged periods of time.

interesting..i've never heard of that before. will test it out on some scrap perhaps...thanks. anyone else? malcom?

i've searched high and low and cant find a place that will ship the minwax stuff internationally..
wont using the brush-on poly leave brush marks? or will the sanding down with increasing grits of sandpaper get rid of them and leave me with a clear satin finish?

unsane said:
i've searched high and low and cant find a place that will ship the minwax stuff internationally..
wont using the brush-on poly leave brush marks? or will the sanding down with increasing grits of sandpaper get rid of them and leave me with a clear satin finish?

No, if you use a quality brush and apply the lacquer carefully, there's minimal brush marks and even if there is, you can sand them out.

Even with a spray set up, one experience the occasional drips. You just have to build up enought coats before you flat sand the finish.

Back